I found a nice little tree book

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FLINT

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2008
Western VA Mtns.
Just thought I would pass this along.

I found this nice little tree book that was published by the Forest Service in the 60's or 70's.

What I like about it, is that its small - will definitely fit in a back pocket
It includes I think all of the "Big" trees that might possibly end up as firewood and its pretty comprehensive - I couldn't think of anything they left out.
It doesn't include all the little stupid shrubby trees and bushes that aren't useful for firewood, and that makes most tree ID books too big to be handy.
The range maps are nice
It gives some pictures and information about the actual wood of each tree

The bark pictures kind of suck, and it doesn't specifically say how good the wood is for burning, but if I were to choose one book to have in the truck or pocket for firewood tree ID in the field it would probably be this one.

Its called 'Important Forest Trees of the Eastern United States'

I found a place where you could download a pdf of the book here.

http://www.sref.info/resources/publications/important-forest-trees-of-the-eastern-united-states-1

I had my wife buy me a copy of it for like $3 on half.com

Also, if you have a Forest Service District office anywhere near you, you could stop in and they may even give you a copy.

There is a link for a free pdf of the book on this link you provided - just downloaded the book. Cheers and thanks!

NH_Wood said:
There is a link for a free pdf of the book on this link you provided - just downloaded the book. Cheers and thanks!

yes, I included that link in case anyone wanted to check it out to see if they liked it.

I went ahead and bought a copy as it wouldn't be as handy to try to print it out and staple it together.

FLINT said:
NH_Wood said:

yes, I included that link in case anyone wanted to check it out to see if they liked it.

I went ahead and bought a copy as it wouldn't be as handy to try to print it out and staple it together.

Gotcha! Cheers!

Thanks. Looks really useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.