I guess ash does burn green...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Split ash can be used pretty quickly -- I've burned it six months after it was cut. So I can see where even logs could be used. It is way better after 2 or 3 years, and the nice thing about it is it doesn't get fungus and stuff in the stacks.

My first year in my new house I had about 3 cords of dry wood figured that would get me close. Well it got me through about 4 months starting in October. I had some dead standing cherry trees at my fathers that I have left until I needed last year. They were punky towards the bottom so I figured for sure they would have been dry well they were almost 30% and stacking next to the stove got them close. My first year had started off great up until Feb. when I started burning the Cherry, in hind sight I should have just opted for a pallet of the eco-bricks but at that time had no idea they were available. I was kicking around the idea of buying one of those stainless pellet holders and burning hardwood pellets but almost everyone said they were a waste of money. Reluctantly I just turned on the furnace and spent $300 on fuel oil in 1 & 1/2 months.

I have done so much reading on firewood and drying my wife thought I was obsessed until I showed her a few articles outlining the importance of dry wood. Not to mention her father kept telling her how he split all his firewood for the year only once and from then on dropped trees 2 years in advance and that was all I needed to do to get seasoned wood. I don't know how he only had 2 chimney fires with smoldering fires and unseasoned wood in the "25 years he had burned fire wood".

I'm stuck in the hospital so my wife had to take over hearth duties. She now understands why I'm obsessive with the wood, when/where to stack, getting it indoors and room temp before burning, etc.

Reactions: Chas0218
I'm stuck in the hospital so my wife had to take over hearth duties. She now understands why I'm obsessive with the wood, when/where to stack, getting it indoors and room temp before burning, etc.
You posting from the hospital?

You posting from the hospital?

Yes, I got here Tuesday around 2300. I'm either talking to my wife on the phone/face time or on here. It helps me to have something to focus on that isn't the inside of this hospital building. While in Afghanistan I picked up some kind of blood disorder that causes my own immune system to attack my blood. I had a pretty bad crisis and I'm here trying to get well enough to go home.

Yes, I got here Tuesday around 2300. I'm either talking to my wife on the phone/face time or on here. It helps me to have something to focus on that isn't the inside of this hospital building. While in Afghanistan I picked up some kind of blood disorder that causes my own immune system to attack my blood. I had a pretty bad crisis and I'm here trying to get well enough to go home.
Hang in there buddy, thoughts and prayers sent your way! Sorry this has happened to you and I hope that they correct it and you feel better soon!

Reactions: SpaceBus and Todd67
Hang in there buddy, thoughts and prayers sent your way! Sorry this has happened to you and I hope that they correct it and you feel better soon!

By some kind of miracle I am going home today! This community has helped me immensely through this crisis. This is a wonderful group full of supportive people.

That will vary greatly by area here a cord of hardwood is 180 to 200 split.

Holy poop. $100-$150 here. And this year it’s been high at the auctions because the weather has not cooperated for any of us is two years. Can’t get wood out with as wet as it’s been.

Damn Brother!!

I came home with health problems I never had before but, nothing like that.

Reactions: Todd67 and SpaceBus
Damn Brother!!

I came home with health problems I never had before but, nothing like that.

I had less than 5,000 platelets per deciliter of blood yesterday. I woke up today with 42k

Reactions: Todd67
By some kind of miracle I am going home today! This community has helped me immensely through this crisis. This is a wonderful group full of supportive people.
Glad you're doing better, hospitals are no fun, I never thought to take my tablet in and use the internet.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Holy poop. $100-$150 here. And this year it’s been high at the auctions because the weather has not cooperated for any of us is two years. Can’t get wood out with as wet as it’s been.
I can buy ash by the grapple. I sometimes see it posted for sale. Just straight ash. 8-10 cords a load for the low low price of $1500...

A normal 8-10 grapple goes for around $900-$1000. But it’s hard to find grapples around here.

I can buy ash by the grapple. I sometimes see it posted for sale. Just straight ash. 8-10 cords a load for the low low price of $1500...

A normal 8-10 grapple goes for around $900-$1000. But it’s hard to find grapples around here.

That sounds expensive, but I haven't priced that much firewood around here. It's usually $195 or more per cord of splits, and it's a mix of mystery wood. More soft wood than hard wood, and some of it it poor quality.

The prices I gave are delivered but just dumped in a pile. Stacked is more if you pick it up it is less.

Wow I got a load of white oak for 750 last year. 1500 for ash is crazy.

Wow I got a load of white oak for 750 last year. 1500 for ash is crazy.

How do you deal with a truck load of logs like that? Our driveway wouldn't facilitate a logging truck anywhere near our house.

How do you deal with a truck load of logs like that? Our driveway wouldn't facilitate a logging truck anywhere near our house.
I have about an acre of paved parking lot. So mine is easy. But you would be amazed where they can get those trucks.

I have about an acre of paved parking lot. So mine is easy. But you would be amazed where they can get those trucks.

Do they just dump the uncut logs on the ground? Sounds like a nice setup. Do you process all of it by hand? Once I get a tractor I'll be able to process wood on my own without killing myself. It's just hell to move large logs. I really overestimated my abilities!

Do they just dump the uncut logs on the ground? Sounds like a nice setup. Do you process all of it by hand? Once I get a tractor I'll be able to process wood on my own without killing myself. It's just hell to move large logs. I really overestimated my abilities!
My guy lays down a couple logs as sleepers then stacks the rest on top of them. I then cut them to length. Split them and throw them in a pile as I do that. Then pushed the pile over to my covered racks with my snowplow. I also cut in the woods I just got a log load to get ahead.

When cutting in the woods I cut to length and throw it in the bed of my dump truck drive back and dump it then repeat.

And no I don't really want an acre of pavement. But it was here and it does make some things very convenient. I will eventually take allot of it out.

My driveway is pretty much my yard with a little dirt strip to pull into off the road. Given I have about 2 1/2 acres of grass, there’s no shortage of “driveway” for a log truck to get into.

I wouldn’t spend $1500 for a load of ash, however I only have one ash tree decent enough to take so I’d like to source more. My initial goal is to get 6 cords of out my woods this winter but given my limited resources those six cords are going to be mostly cherry with a little sugar maple.

When you guys place orders for your grapples do you get to be choosey to an extent or do you get what they got for the most part?

I’m sitting here thinking I could load a mix of hard woods from the mill rejects in the semi dump trailer, 46’ trailer and deliver to one of you guys for $1500 on a weekend.

Anywhere east of Mississippi River and North of Kentucky through South Carolina and make big bucks from Northern Indiana.

The prices I gave are delivered but just dumped in a pile. Stacked is more if you pick it up it is less.

Same, heaping pickup load, seasoned, unloaded in a pile. The Amish auctions are you drive through they bid you deliver.

Most, including my plans, are using coal as a backup for $210 a ton delivered.

Don't move any large logs. Cut it up where they land it. Split it where it landed when you cut it. Then the only thing you move is splits. Well, aside from getting the round into splitting position in/on your splitter.

Reactions: SpaceBus
Don't move any large logs. Cut it up where they land it. Split it where it landed when you cut it. Then the only thing you move is splits. Well, aside from getting the round into splitting position in/on your splitter.
I personally more rounds when I cut in the woods. I just don't like splitting in the feild personally. But no I don't move big logs