I hate it when this happens!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Kevin Weis

Minister of Fire
Mar 3, 2018
Union Bridge, Md
Was moving some coals around to add to the stove when I accidentally pulled the cat cover out on the coals<>. Now have to wait for it to die down some to retreave it.

Reactions: Slocum
What stove are you using? Most flame shields are not easily knocked out of place.

Happened to me once with the princess insert, I pulled it out of the fire and waited for the next liad.

VC Encore. You just lift up on the bottom a little and comes right out. They don't fit that well to begin with.
That explains it! It’s the one and only design I could think of that the shield easily falls off and often breaks.

Last edited:
Happens more easily as that cover becomes warped. As me how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happens more easily as that cover becomes warped. As me how I know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just about to say the same ^^^^^

On my VC the cover has only dislodged once in four years. And it was my fault, I was trying to rearrange splits in the fire box with a iron poker. I thought I was yanking at a split trying to pull it up, but in fact I was pulling at the cover.........it was a late Sat. night I must add....

And yeah, if my cat fell into my coffee cup, I would be joining AA! Both of my cats are ceramic.

Reactions: Highbeam
Mine did not fall out on its own as well. Have a flat piece of steel on a rod that I move the ashes around with and it hooked it.

The bummer is that you have to let the load burn out and the stove to cool before putting it back on it’s place.

Yep fortunately it was burned down quite a bit but the cat was still active so yea it took a while for that to cool down.