I have found a late 80s VC resolute for $100 what should I look for?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

michaelthomas

Feb 10, 2006
I have found a late 80s VC resolute for $100. The ad and the seller said that he rebuilt it, sanded it, and painted it but never used it. He bought it used and was apparently working when he bought it. He found out that it would cost him several thousands of dollars to add a metalbestos chimney to his house. What should I look for in this stove. $100? there are late 70s models of VCs that are still getting $400-$800. What do you think?

michaelthomas said:
I have found a late 80s VC resolute for $100. The ad and the seller said that he rebuilt it, sanded it, and painted it but never used it. He bought it used and was apparently working when he bought it. He found out that it would cost him several thousands of dollars to add a metalbestos chimney to his house. What should I look for in this stove. $100? there are late 70s models of VCs that are still getting $400-$800. What do you think?

Sounds like a heck of a deal if you can use it and if it is in good shape. In general you can tell by the condition of the stove interior baffles and such things. Warping and cast iron that is partially eaten away or orange and flaking usually means the stove was overfired...

Late 80's? That would be a Resolute Acclaim - they ALL needed rebuilt, because they would burn too hot and melt the interior liners....VC made a replacement kit eventually that had firebrick sides instead of the cast iron.

Even if it was rebuilt with the iron interior it should last as long as you are not a really heavy user...

An Acclaim, which they started making in 1988, had one door on the front that swings to the side. If it is a few years older than that, it has two front doors and is not an Acclaim.

Hey Craig,

Girlfriend has a Resolute Acclaim that has been burning almost non-stop this year.

Looks like the back steel plate is in rough shape and it needs a new gasket for the top lid. I think I need to replace the "space age" secondary burn material also. Other than that, this thing works like a champ. I did take off the back plate and cleaned those two channels that were full of ash. The steel plates on the sides look ok.

Question is, do they still sell parts for this thing? Think I want to freshen it up come springtime. Anything else I should look for?

I have a Resolute Acclaim runs 24/7 working now Selling $100 rebuilt? Why are you posting? It should be sitting in the back of your pickup? If you have any hesitation tell me where it is?
What is meant by rebuilt? A can of spray paint? Replacing a few gaskets? Find out more? You have little risk, you can re sell it on Ebay and turn a hefty profit. I have to dig out buying a used wood stove primer and post it

Sandor said:
Hey Craig,

Girlfriend has a Resolute Acclaim that has been burning almost non-stop this year.

Looks like the back steel plate is in rough shape and it needs a new gasket for the top lid. I think I need to replace the "space age" secondary burn material also. Other than that, this thing works like a champ. I did take off the back plate and cleaned those two channels that were full of ash. The steel plates on the sides look ok.

Question is, do they still sell parts for this thing? Think I want to freshen it up come springtime. Anything else I should look for?

I'm sure they still sell parts BUT, here may be the problem. If she has an older one - which can be told be the cast-iron waffled side interior as opposed to firebrick in the newer ones, then they may only have the "new" parts. In short, she may have to buy an entire inside retrofit kit which includes the new sides, back, etc. - and the stove has to be ripped down to almost nothing to replace this all.

Total cost of parts could be $500+ - plus labor.

It is possible they have the older parts......the rear, as I remember, consisted of a fireback and then the three middle "keyed" cast iron replaceable arches.

Hopefully you can squeeze some more time out of it. Some degradation of the rear and even the bottom of the combustion chamber material is ok.

michaelthomas said:

You need to look for a truck to haul it home with. ;-)

The stove turned out to be a 1979 model with the pull down single door. It had huge cracks on the back plate and the right side plate was eaten away pretty good. It was missing the thermostat chain and the thermostat damper. Not exactly rebuilt as the seller had described it to be. Oh well maybe next time. Thank you for all of your input.

Status
Not open for further replies.