What would you have done?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Garbanzo62

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2022
Connecticut
So a friend of mine got a load of wood from a guy on Facebook Marketplace. It was $100 delivered. The ad claims to be Oak rounds that have seasoned for over 18 months and it should end up being a little over a cord when split. So I contacted the seller to get a load. I live in the next town, maybe 5 miles from my friend. My town is considered to be more affluent than my friends town. The seller told me it would be $150 to deliver to my town. The ad says $100 delivered no radius from etc. I tried to get him down to $125, but he said no as gas is going up and it is a big truck. Part of me thinks it is because of the zip code I live in. I still think it is a good deal sand am going through with it. What would you have done in this situation?

Reactions: patrickk222
Be skeptical. Big rounds don't season well. Oak needs to be split and stacked to really start seasoning. Depending on the drying conditions, it may not be ready for burning by fall. The next question is whether the delivered load will actually turn out to be a cord's worth. How was your friend's delivery? Has he split and stacked the wood yet? Did you do a proper moisture test on some of the splits?

The seller sets the price of the sale. If it's not negotiable, it needs to be accepted.

Be skeptical. Big rounds don't season well. Oak needs to be split and stacked to really start seasoning. Depending on the drying conditions, it may not be ready for burning by fall. The next question is whether the delivered load will actually turn out to be a cord's worth. How was your friend's delivery? Has he split and stacked the wood yet? Did you do a proper moisture test on some of the splits?

The seller sets the price of the sale. If it's not negotiable, it needs to be accepted.
My friend has split some. Most of it looks good. Not sure of the MC, a few pieces are destined for the firepit. I'm not counting on this being burnable now, If any is, it is a bonus. but for even $150 for a little over a cord it will add to my reserves.

been with the same guy for years, however,... before him, i'd ask for samples to burn today.
some said no deal, i'd say the same.

guess i'd pay the 150 if i split and it burned fine.
buck50 for cord oak here is cheep.

guess i'd pay the 150 if i split and it burned fine.
buck50 for cord oak here is cheep.
Yes, and here it wouldn't be oak. Might not even be hardwood.

Reactions: JamesGuido
Here is a pic of what my friend has split so far. He said it was almost half.. Sure looks like Oak to me.

IMG_1597[1].JPG

I'm not sure I'd trust someone claiming "seasoned for 18 months" but it's in giant rounds still. The seasoning timer doesn't start until it's split and stacked properly. They clearly don't understand how firewood works.

Now if you're ok with $150 for a cord of green oak you have to split yourself then it sounds like a good deal. Around here most places charge $300 (+$50 delivery) per cord of mixed green hardwood already split so that's pretty good. Might be different where you live.

If you're willing to run a chainsaw you'll get the most bang for your buck buying log length from a local tree service. Its not for everyone but it's the best value on firewood without risking your life and doing tons of legwork felling your own trees. I get 2 cords of hardwood for $100 locally delivered right to my driveway. I buck it up and the family helps split and stack.

It'll take some legwork to find a supplier but I'm sure someone locally has wood they are looking to move or a future job they can drop for you. Its a win win for the tree guys sometimes. They get extra cash and less hassle cleaning up a job from you and you get cheap wood at your doorstep. I made a list and called every tree service within 10 miles of me and found a couple guys.

Good luck!

Must be a nice friend if he'll split a cord of big oak rounds for $50. That's below minimum wage.

That's different!

I used to be like that. Still enjoy it but my body currently doesn't. Hoping that improves next year.

Reactions: TomMcDonald
Maybe it is farther for him to drive, or He suddenly realized he is an idiot for selling oak wood delivered no radius for 100 bucks and is raising his price.

Reactions: fbelec
Well my friend does not have the room for two loads. (That thought did come through my mind). His test splits came in around 25%MC. So for an Oak Round, I would guess it has been sitting for a bit. I'll stack up another cord and hope it is ready for next year. Maybe I'll get lucky on some smaller rounds and have them be under 20, but not counting on it. Took quick inventory yesterday and I am calculating that I have 4.3 cords stacked (mostly Ash). Unfortunately only about 3/10ths if a cord is burnable and approx 1 cord is from a red oak that was cut down in July. So even if this is not ready for the fall, I'll have a good amount of Oak ready for the fall of 2024.

Maybe it is farther for him to drive, or He suddenly realized he is an idiot for selling oak wood delivered no radius for 100 bucks and is raising his price.
Well it is maybe 5 miles further than my friends house and Gas did go up this past week. However I am at the very south end of my town, so it could be 10 miles further if you did not know the exact location. But don't advertise $100 delivered and then put a distance clause when people contact you. Put that out as a condition up front.

In New England under ideal drying conditions red oak can be burnable in 2 years if it's split on the small side. Its much better after 3 years though. I burn a lot of red oak and that extra year makes a huge difference.

If you're after local hardwoods that season quickly look for red maple, ash, and cherry. Those can be ready in a year if need be. They are also good woods to mix with the oak depending on the weather.

I have a bunch of Ash , some Maple and some birch and a bit of pine. More ash to process as I have some Dead Standing that need to come down in a controlled manner.

That does look like half a cord, that looks like maybe a face cord split. Sounds like you are getting likely unseasoned oak for 150 for two face cords potentially, and then you have to split it. I can get a 7/8s of a cord fairly well seasoned (need another year) for 200 now. Which I consider really good. Of course many pieces need split again, and they dont stack it. I dont have alot of other options.

That does look like half a cord, that looks like maybe a face cord split. Sounds like you are getting likely unseasoned oak for 150 for two face cords potentially, and then you have to split it. I can get a 7/8s of a cord fairly well seasoned (need another year) for 200 now. Which I consider really good. Of course many pieces need split again, and they dont stack it. I dont have alot of other options.
Well I was not there to see what he had split and what he had not gotten to yet. It is being delivered tomorrow so we will see.

OK Got the delivery this AM. Have a feeling this will not get to be a cord. Also some of the pieces are big (like 28 inches) and will need to be cut. I split two pieces, One looks to be maybe Ash the other is definitely Red Oak.. Have them warming next to the insert so I can test MC later today. There are a few pieces that are not 'Rounds'. My guess is those and the Non-Oak piece have a chance to be in the burnable range, but most will probably need time

IMG_0446[1].JPG IMG_0447[1].JPG

Yeah that doesn't look like a cord to me and some of it is punky. It also looks like he dumped some chitty Y pieces on you. Those are going to be mostly useless. I'd say don't order from him again this is clearly just leftovers he had laying around trying to make a buck. You're better off getting a true cord green and already split for $250 ish imo. Or doing log length.

The second piece there is maple and I actually see a lot more maple in the pile. The one in front with a hole is maple. The maple will be ready for next year if stored well so that's good.

eh, maybe a face cord...not a cord. The y piece you would just chop into little pieces and use those, no worries on those. Lesson learned :)

Yeah. The ad was for 18 inch seasoned all oak for $100 delivered. I got a mix of various sized with some Ash and maple mixed in for $150. Everything I've split so far is well over 25%. and those are the smaller pieces. Reported him to Facebook for inaccurate description. Wont be doing business with him again.

Do you have timber on your property there? Looks to be a nice bunch of trees just waiting to be burnt!

Yeah that doesn't look like a cord to me and some of it is punky. It also looks like he dumped some chitty Y pieces on you. Those are going to be mostly useless.
The second piece there is maple and I actually see a lot more maple in the pile. The one in front with a hole is maple. The maple will be ready for next year if stored well so that's good.

Big rounds don't season well. Oak needs to be split and stacked to really start seasoning. Depending on the drying conditions, it may not be ready for burning by fall.
I haven't dried much hard Maple, but soft Maple will get pretty dry by fall if you stack it now, don't split real big (maybe 4-5") top-covered, single-row.
Now, I had some hard Maple rounds from a yard tree here that were stacked across the road for three years, not covered, and the splits were pretty dry when I split it last year. I'm burning some of it now. But 18 months (if that's true?) Not too dry unless soft Maple. Oak, not even close, but I don't see a lot of Oak there.
Of course it's hard to tell from a pic but that looks like solid wood to me, not punk. I use Y-pieces..not leaving any wood in the woods! 😏 I might cut them short though, instead of trying to split full-length crotch wood.
I'm gonna guess 1/2-2/3 cord.