I have no friends, so here are my pictures...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy Moly, I'm glad you posted this thread. When you mentioned this haul out of stephens I contacted the Ranger at the Shimek Park over near Farmington. It's about 30 miles from me, so I was hesitant. He shot me back an email that said it didn't matter if I live in Iowa, I'm eligible and he'd write up the contract and mark some trees, and Oh, BTW, he said the max is 10 cords!!!! How much wood can you stack on a Dodge 2500 (cummins) with a 5x20 trailer on back (Dad's not mine)? I think a lot, I'll let you know. I hope his trailer is rated for a load like this. We've hauled cars on it, so at least I know I can put a decent load on it. Since it's a distance I want to do One or Two big trips to cut down on cost. I'm actually gonna wait until spring for this, as I've committed myself to some delivery of wood because I don't have anything seasoned and ready to go and just finished marking some dead stuff on the family timber to keep me busy this fall.

Danno, there's a limit to the Cummins? I haven't found it yet! More detail than you probably want but...

You can look up the weights for different species, but I figure about 3K/cord. So with a 5x20 trailer (assuming it has at least 3500 # axles, brakes on one axle, and the tires are rated for the weight, you should be good for about 2 cords on the trailer and 1/2-3/4 of one in the truck. Figure 10% for tongue weight of the trailer, about 800-900# - including empty trailer plus wood at 8-9K. Then about 2000 in the truck, so a total of about 2900# rear axle weight on the truck. Your truck tires shouls be good to 3K each with load range E 16 or 17" wheels. Total vehicle weight rating is around 9500-10K, depending on your year Cummins? Empty weight is about 7K maybe? So 3K of weight on the truck should be fine, the trailer will stop itself with the electric brakes. If no brakes on the trailer, one cord on the trailer and about 1/2 in the truck would be max I'd do - even that's a bad idea if there's other traffic around (though I'm sure we've all done it before). WIth no brakes, the trailer is probably only rated for about 3500-5000# total.

Good luck!

I am "green with envey". And when all your wood is dry I'll be with just "with envey". You have inspired me. I'm looking up & finding out who is the Bureau Service Forester for the state forests in my county (Lackawanna in PA) to see if I came get one of these wood permits in my area for next year. The state forest website does not address the subject out right except for commercial bids. My town is surrounded on two sides by State Forest and by State Game Land on the 3rd side. Theres gotta be some wood for the taking.
My other obvious option is the undeveloped lots that surround mine. I know some of the owners and will ask them if I can cut the fallen and diseased. Our community allows the cutting of under 6" diameter (live) or anysize dead or unsightly. I know that isn't usually huge sized wood but I am a 49 yr old woman and a beginner. I'm strong though. I can hand split & stack with the best of em. They say lift from your legs not from your back. Only childbirth messed my back up for a short time & the chiropractor fixed that up fast. So I'm gonna give it a go ! I'll learn how to get the bigger tools to work more for me.
I have the winter & spring to learn how to use a bigger gas chain saw and a find a mentor . Actually I believe the guy I buy wood from has a permit for somewhere. Maybe I can start by working for my wood from him. I'm on my own but it's time for me to build some woodsmen alliances.
Thank you for the inspiration.

Great deal I really like the price and terms. Another lead people usually don't follow is the US Corp of Engineers also issues permits. I can obtain a 5 cord cutting permit for $5 with a 6 month time limit however it has much tougher restrictions. The wood has to be downed and 10" diameter or less and you are limited to 2 cutting areas but the restrictions may vary from place to place.

I don't use that option since I still have woodlots available but I know it can be an option in a pinch.

I've gotten information (the where, when & how) on how to get wood culling permits in my area from the Forestry Bureau. So if anyone wants info for the Scranton PA area just PM me

willisl64,
Don't want to burst yur bubble but I think I ought to warn ya. Buy some rubber gloves or your gonna get dishpan hands. I think it's a conspiracy where she will have you doing the internal domestics while she works the saw. Put a hidden remote ignition switch on the saw and hid the remote. That way she will have to let you use the saw once in a while (er...just to get it running right)....Sounds like great team work though...

Status
Not open for further replies.