I know, but I don’t know what kind it is!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FatttFire

Feb 14, 2008
Snowbelt, Ohio
I am not sure, is this possibly the Iron Oak my late Uncle warned me about?

Attachments

• DSC00576.JPG
    DSC00576.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 592
  • DSC00575.JPG
    DSC00575.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 584
Looks like maple leaves to me.

Looks like Maple leafs to me also.

Its definitly not oak, looks like sugar Maple to me. good hard wood great burning.

sugar maple. got alot of it here. cut up a few cords of it this spring, looking forward to burning it this winter ;-)

I agree sugar maple, burns nice

Thanks! I feel like an ass, now looking at the leaves. I know I have some Iron oak somewhere out there can't find it!

thats sugar maple

Adios Pantalones said:
Canadian flag is red maple.

The leaf on the Canadian flag may be the color red, but it's a sugar maple leaf shape.

canadian-flag1.jpg
maple_leaf.jpg
leaf detail_red maple.jpg"

Left to right: Canadian flag, sugar maple, red maple.

I go with sugar maple based on the shape and the smooth margins, although one can certainly argue that the margin detail simply isn't shown in the flag. And of course there is a continuum of red and sugar maple leaf shapes. This link
http://www.cbc.ca/newsinreview/may98/maple/canflag.htm
suggests that it's meant to be a generic maple leaf, so I guess the answer is all of the above.

The leaves definitely look like Sugar Maple, but the bark doesn't look like any Sugar Maple I've ever seen around these parts. The stingy bark almost looks like Silver Maple. Maybe they grow them different down in OH? Or could it be Norway Maple?

Status
Not open for further replies.