I like a nice Ash.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gasifier

Minister of Fire
Apr 25, 2011
St. Lawrence River Valley, N.Y.
A good couple hours in the woods today.

Attachments

• DSCF1745 (1024x768).jpg
    DSCF1745 (1024x768).jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 568
  • DSCF1746 (800x600).jpg
    DSCF1746 (800x600).jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 575
Nice looking load and pile you got going there Gasifier!

Well thanks Blue2ndaries. Compliments from you guys, just looking at my pile and stack, and knowing I have that free heat going for next year makes a few sore muscles worth it. Have a good one. We just had a few flurries coming down but they can't stay. It is still 36 degrees. A little windy.

Gasifier said:
A good couple hours in the woods today.

Looks good Gasifier, the only ash firewood we had I sold in the spring.

zap

Love the ash . . . and the truck . . . trucks are meant to be used . . . work on.

Looks good gas. Another sweet thing about the ash is the easy splitting and relatively fast drying. I'll be firing up the saw pretty soon here; maybe right after Thanksgiving.

Who doesn't like a nice piece of Ash? Nice haul !!!

The only flaw I see there is that wood is on your property instead of mine! Great haul Gasman!

Ray

We've got a big ash in the back yard, measures 133" circumference. It's a nice big ash. Hope it stays healthy for years to come and doesn't start to sag.

f v

Thanks guys.

Zap. How much ash did you sell and what did you get for it? Green or seasoned when sold?

Creekyphil. Thanks for the comment on the truck. The woods I try to get around in have a narrow road. I can barely get around, trailer wouldn't be much good. I have a bed liner in the truck and load her up with all sorts of stuff all year round. Cord wood, wood from side jobs, trash to the dump, etc. Just have to be careful.

firefighterjake Thanks. Damn straight.

Backwoods. Thanks. Nothing like Ash. I am fortunate to have access to free Ash. Usually a nice Ash can be dam expensive in the long run. :)

shawneyboy It is a vice of mine. Thanks on the haul.

raybonz It took some pretty serious work to get it to my yard. Sorry, I can't share it with you. :lol: Thanks man.

fireview2788 That is a big Ash. Holly sh!t. I have a several Ash all around my yard. They are a nice tree. Good luck with that big one. I don't know about the sagging though. :lol:

Not even close to a record. There's one somewhere close to me that is close to twice that size. I'll try to get some pics and post them up. My girls giggle every time they talk about it, "Dad, there's a hawk in the big ash tree." ;-P

f v

Nice haul.
I got a cord and a half this summer of ash from a CL posting from someone that made an agreement with a "pro" to cut and haul away about a dozen nice size ash from their property- he hauled the easy stuff and left a bunch that he dropped that I cut up and hauled away. There was another huge ash that was at least a couple of feet in diameter that fell down hill that I passed on since I have an 18" chainsaw and it was a long long haul from where it was to the closest spot I could get my trailer. Had to have been at least another cord but if I've learned anything from scrounging it's my limits:)
Burning some of that ash tonight and wood always burns warmer if you cut, hauled, split, stacked and seasoned it yourself for some reason:)
Enjoy

Ash is nice.
Free would be nice.
A pickup truck would be nice.

I pay $1200 to get a 12 cord load of Ash logs dropped in my yard. Love the smell of it. It sure does split easy!

100_0343.JPG

P.S. I couldn't find Ash one year and had to settle for Birch, hence I bought the log splitter. Otherwise I'd still be splitting with an axe.

Ash is my favorite firewood, ez splitting and burns/coals great! I loaded a bunch into the shed hoping I get to it about late January and wa already grinning about the great heat it will give.
Maybe once my oak seasons I'll have a new fav wood.

I would be afraid to take a truck that nice into the woods around here! The Mrs just the other day brought up about getting a nicer truck and while I agreed that's great while it's in the driveway it won't be so good for some of the places I get into scrounging....maybe I need 2 trucks? :)

muncybob said:
I would be afraid to take a truck that nice into the woods around here!
Pfft... around here we call them garage queens! Not much point in having one only to use it to pull a float in a parade.

fv -
I took down an Ash last year that was about 36" across, if I remember right. My brother took a quick count of the rings on it and again, if I remember right, he said it had 42. It was a nice haul. Over in another thread there is discussion about cutting down thousands of Ash trees to help mitigate the bug problem. It will be really sad if they continue on their way and destroy all the Ash. I am going to keep an eye on their progress and try to harvest some more of the Ash on the property. I hope I can get to it quick enough over the next few years.

ruserious2008 That sounds like a nice haul you got there. Enjoy burning that Ash. A very cool feeling to have "free" wood. With a little exercise." But that is good for you.

LLigetfa Nice pic. That sounds like a good deal on a log load of Ash. With splitting so easy on it, that is nice stuff to work with and you didn't have to haul it. I need to find a cheap trailer that will go behind my fathers tractor. There are some spots on the property that I can not get to with my truck. A small trailer behind the tractor would make it nice for hauling over from there. The old Ford Powermaster will get over there, it is a good old work horse.

muncybob Yep. Ash is great. I love burning it. And I love how quick it seasons. I bring the truck in the woods and keep it far away from any tree I am going to drop, of course. I try to trim up any branches that may scratch it. Then, after I have the tree cut up, back it in as close as I can get it to shorten the haul of the wood to the truck. Sometimes I have a pretty good walk to get the wood to the truck. That adds a lot of time to how long it takes to fill it. But, I am usually trying to take my time and enjoy it, so no biggy. What would be sweet is one of these.

Attachments

• Ranger6x6.jpg
    Ranger6x6.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 261
  • Ranger6x62.jpg
    Ranger6x62.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 265
Gasisfier, yeah we've been watching. We live s stones throw from a MetroPark and they have marked all the ash trees to let people see how many trees will be dying as the EAB is a lost cause. Ohio Dept of Forestry has concluded that we have lost the battle so we will see the ash die off but hope to re-populate. This one is clearly a matriarch of the woods and will hopefully stand for a long time. We are transplanting any ashling we find in the flower beds into the yard.

Unfortunately, the other thread is about the Asian Long Eared Beetle which is new and will kill any tree. They've even asked hunters to keep and eye out for the beetle.

f v

You mean Asian Long Horned Beetle. Yes, very scary the destruction these little ba#%%rds will cause. What to do?

Attachments

• alb.jpg
    alb.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 241
Gasifier said:
You mean Asian Long Horned Beetle. Yes, very scary the destruction these little ba#%%rds will cause. What to do?

Oh, I thought he meant this one. Should have known he didn't since Ringo isn't Asian.

Attachments

• Ringo.gif
    Ringo.gif
    84.9 KB · Views: 169
They hear with those things don't they?

f v

Hey LLigetfa. That wood splitter you have there looks like it has a real long piston on it. How long of a log can you put in there? How do you like that splitter. I am thinking of getting one eventually. I went to rent one the other day and it was already booked for the next two days. Bummer. I have to work for the next 5. Oh well. The wood will still be there next week. I just want to get it split and stacked before we get any serious snow.

It is an average length. Most will take a 24" - 25" log. Mine is spec'd as a 24" but measured 25". I actually did a short stroke mod on it to shorten it by about 4".

LLigetfa said:
Ash is nice.
Free would be nice.
A pickup truck would be nice.

I pay $1200 to get a 12 cord load of Ash logs dropped in my yard. Love the smell of it. It sure does split easy!

P.S. I couldn't find Ash one year and had to settle for Birch, hence I bought the log splitter. Otherwise I'd still be splitting with an axe.

Personally I think I'd rather pay the 100 per cord and just take care of the rest.. My time has value as well so it's money well spent..

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.