I love my Dolmar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

deerefanatic

Minister of Fire
Apr 6, 2008
Ladysmith, WI
I'm now the proud owner of a new Dolmar PS-510 with 18" bar. After doing alot of research, I ruled out everything except Husqvarna and Dolmar due to either quality issues, price issues, or lack of parts availability issues... (Think, poulan, johnsred, and stihl in that order.....)

After doing research, I decided on Dolmar due to their value; and the fact that they're German and I like German stuff!

To put it plainly, I love this saw! Cut slabwood today like butter. Fired on pull number 7 after putting fuel in it for the first time. Not bad being there's no primer bulb. Has a 3 speed oiler, automatic oiler stop when idling, etc. After warming up, starts first pull with no choke. Also, using Husqvarna Low Smoke oil it doesn't smoke at all when idling or running....

Overall, I'm very impressed and would recommend this saw to anyone who needs a good saw for Farm use or cutting firewood. Light weight too at just shy of 12 lbs.

Ok everone got to be wondering why not go with the 5100 dolmer?

smokinj said:

Price (Higher than I had to pay) and availability (Local Dolmar dealer didn't have one in stock)

deerefanatic said:
smokinj said:

Price (Higher than I had to pay) and availability (Local Dolmar dealer didn't have one in stock)
the 5100 seems to get all the talk but dolmer has a nice line up i keep looking at the 401 weight is the issue

Yes, they are nice saws........

Have the Solo (partners at one time) 681 (Dolmar 7900). The saw cuts!!! You'll be pleased. Quality is there, only part that seems lacking is the brake handle.
Chad

chad3 said:
Have the Solo (partners at one time) 681 (Dolmar 7900). The saw cuts!!! You'll be pleased. Quality is there, only part that seems lacking is the brake handle.
Chad
I have been looking at the 637 as well how do you like that saw?

I can't say enough good things about my 5100s. That saw rocks!

I've been asked a few times about the Solo's. I really like them. For the cost and the two year commercial warrantee, I love them. A logger I know has also picked up a 681 and had the brake handle break. He brought it back and they gave him a new one. I've had it buried with a 28" bar in oak and it still cuts and hard at that. The saw is also fairly light. As for the top handle, I really like that one as well. For work in the top (while on the ground) it is very nice. Everyone has had a few branches above them, you can cut each of those with one hand safely. It can handle up to about 6" branches without any issues, but slow. As you can see, I have plenty of saws, are either of them my every day, every time saw, no, but for the right times, they are the best saws.
Hope this helps a few of you.
Chad

Status
Not open for further replies.