I might be in trouble

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chris2879

Nov 8, 2010
Western MA
I got about 2 cord of Ash and Silver Maple earlier this spring. I have had it stacked since the middle of June. I knew i would be cutting it close with being able to burn this year, but figured i would have a chance because of the species of wood. I thought those types dried rather quickly. I went to split a couple of pieces and they are about 20-24% with the moisture meter. I know this isn't the most desired dryness, but is it burnable and how well will it burn? Needless to say the stack is getting covered (just the top and maybe a foot down on the front/back) before the next chance of rain. What do you guys think?

You'll be fine if it's all around there. They do dry quicker if it was oak it would still be in the 30's or 40's. :)

Many times I have eread where ash is in the low 20's right after felling and that ash is ready to go when felled. Most gasifiers recommend 20 and no higher than 25. I have seen proof where these numbers are reasonable. Silver male is on the low/mid end of the btu chart and ash (if white) is not a bad choice for straight winter grade. What's on hand beats all the wannabe's until they are on hand! ;-)

You burn what you got.
What you got, will be OK.
It will dry more yet, you may burn a little more wood than if it was below 20% but is should burn OK.
You are way ahead of some wood burners, they are cutting now to burn in a few weeks.
But now you know to get a year or 2 ahead. When you burn the real dry stuff, you'll notice a real difference.
Try to get some now for "next " season. ;-)

Yesterday in the barber shop the discussion was about the cold winter predictions. Barber said she didn't have her wood yet. Besides, she couldn't seem to get in touch with her firewood guy. About that time, the firewood guys dad come in. Where is Jermy she wonders. Seems Jermy is off working for a cable construction company. She said when he gets back to make sure he didn't forget her. He sez Jermy came home for the weekend and he might be out cutting today.

Here it is October, she does not have her winters wood, she does not know when it will be cut, and she does not seem to be concerned. She burns wood in a hot air furnace. She is a widow and has been doing it this way forever. I didn't say a peep, as I knew I would be shouted down had I mentioned there might be a better way than a fresh cut load of oak dumped on the ground in Oct/Nov.

Seems to me the OP is good to go compared with some.

chris2879 said:
I got about 2 cord of Ash and Silver Maple earlier this spring. I have had it stacked since the middle of June.
I'd test more that "a couple of pieces," just to make sure what you've got. 20-24% is serviceable. How did you stack the wood, single-row? What size are the splits?

It is stacked in single rows with only about 6" between rows. They are cut about 18" long and less than 5-6" wide. That same was taken about 3 layers down from the middle row. That was about as far as I was able to reach without recking the whole stack!

You'll probably be OK. Might help to get some seasoned, if you can, or pallets. Even some Bio/what ever bricks.

Also remember that what you have will have had 4 more months to season by February. That's always a plus ;-)

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
You'll probably be OK. Might help to get some seasoned, if you can, or pallets. Even some Bio/what ever bricks.

Also remember that what you have will have had 4 more months to season by February. That's always a plus ;-)

Im short this year as well, so I posted up a very straight to the point craigslist ad.
Requiring 16% or less MC (my stove says don't use anything over 13% MC).
We'll see how it goes... if all else fails, I'm going to biobrick method.
However, I just switched jobs and they have about 150-200 pallets that are all grey and colorless sitting outside in the parking lot (way in the back of the lot)
and at least 2 or 3 dozen crates 30-40' long about 4' square sitting out back... most of those are looking pretty good too.
Usually it's all hardwood. They transport copper tubes in those for heat exchangers.

I asked about it, and they said you just take whatever you need.
So I'm thinking about taking the trailer over to overload her :)
If not for this year, maybe next.

or else I might just go with biobricks, or even try pellets as some have since they are cheaper per ton
I wonder what kind of a burn time a chinook would get if you cram it full of biobricks o_O

You can also bring in some of the almost-ready wood, and stack it near the stove. Check MC in a couple of weeks, and you'll likely find that it improved dramatically. Doesn't take that long to approach 0% MC.

Helps to be flexible in your thinking.

CTYank said:
You can also bring in some of the almost-ready wood, and stack it near the stove. Check MC in a couple of weeks, and you'll likely find that it improved dramatically. Doesn't take that long to approach 0% MC.

Helps to be flexible in your thinking.
0%, now thats interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.