I need a bat pole

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wahoowad

Minister of Fire
Dec 19, 2005
Virginia
OK, bought a bat house to attract bats to my property. Bat enthusiast websites recommend mounting it 15 to 20' up on a pole. I would mount it on a tree but have none that would allow it to get the morning sun they recommend.

I went to Lowes and saw 10' sections of electrical conduit were +$30 apiece. Holy cow. I would need 2 sections but am not paying that much to do this experiment. I tried 1" thinwall (EMT) conduit but it had too much flex to mount the bat house at the end of 2 pieces. I need something more rigid like regular conduit maybe 1 1/2".

I thought maybe a couple 10' 2x4's joined together - that might work and be affordable. Any ideas of other ways (cheaper) to create a 20' pole?

Put the bat house on top of your chimney cap. :lol:

String a cable between 2 trees so you can hang the bathouse in the morning sun?

Its behind the bookcase in your library. Just flip the head over on that bust near the phone, push the button and you'll see it.

"Its behind the bookcase in your library. Just flip the head over on that bust near the phone, push the button and you’ll see it")

Thank god there is some good humor in all of this. ( I just had a long annoying day) THAT MADE ME LAUGH OUT LOUD !!!!!
FINALLY.

Bats are a wonderful thing as long as they are not in your attic.

Mike

mikeyny said:
"

Bats are a wonderful thing as long as they are not in your attic.

Or in your belfry.

I put up a bat box and no bats ever showed. I only was there a year so maybe like said above, they need to fly by and check out the neighborhood.

mayhem said:
Its behind the bookcase in your library. Just flip the head over on that bust near the phone, push the button and you'll see it.

Seems you and I were on the same wave length with this one.

We have a 1/2 mile long frog pond with millions of frogs which also means we have a lot of bats. The smaller common bats will eat thousands of mosquitos in a night and they never bother us.

wahoowad said:
OK, bought a bat house to attract bats to my property. Bat enthusiast websites recommend mounting it 15 to 20' up on a pole. I would mount it on a tree but have none that would allow it to get the morning sun they recommend.

I went to Lowes and saw 10' sections of electrical conduit were +$30 apiece. Holy cow. I would need 2 sections but am not paying that much to do this experiment. I tried 1" thinwall (EMT) conduit but it had too much flex to mount the bat house at the end of 2 pieces. I need something more rigid like regular conduit maybe 1 1/2".

I thought maybe a couple 10' 2x4's joined together - that might work and be affordable. Any ideas of other ways (cheaper) to create a 20' pole?

How about using a cedar or locust tree/pole buried in some concrete? 20 feet would be hard but 15 is doable. Or maybe find an old aluminum flag pole for a small house. Also, the electric company in my area just told me that they do not reuse the older green electric poles. You may be able to score one for free if you find the right person.

Status
Not open for further replies.