I NEED HELP!!!! Englander 30 or Hearthstone Heritage!??!?!?!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mr.highandmighty

Oct 4, 2008
Western, Pa
Narrowed my stove choice to two. Can get a great deal on a brand new Hearthstone heritage. Also can land an Englander 30nc for a great price too. I have a 1900sqft log/timber frame home. Stove will be centrally located.

My dilemma...The Englander will be half the cost. Can I justify spending double on the Heritage???

Your opinion is welcome!!!

The heritage is pretty small at 2.3 CF. Isn't the 30 a much bigger stove? Bigger stove should get you longer burn times and more heat but if the heritgae can do the job then you will like the looks of the HS. The two stoves you are choosing from are quite different. I decided to spend extra money to get the soapstone stove vs. a much cheaper steel plate stove. To me, the looks alone are worth it. Very impressive in person.

I am sure that I want the Heritage but am trying to talk myself out of it for the sake of a few dollars!! Beginning to think that the 30 might be too much stove. I would love the woodstock...but I have clearance issues. Im feeling like a cheapskate. Ive priced Buck, Regency, Quadrafire...and others. By the time all the add-ons are tllied on...the price is right there with the Heritage. The 30nc seems like such a bargain!!

Go with the one you really like the best. It will pay for itself eventually anyways. Why won't the Woodstock work? They have rear heat shields.

mr.highandmighty said:
...Can I justify spending double on the Heritage?...

I seriously doubt there's anyone here who can answer that question for you. Rick

I need to get as close to the wall a I can. Wall is 5/8" drywall on conventional framing. Center of support box is 12". Back of stove is in the 7"-4" in range then. So, stove needs to be close. Had to do IT that way. Woodstock heat shields cant get ya that close...from what I have seen....am I wrong??

Buy the rock stove. If you don't you will be wondering "What if..." forever.

mr.highandmighty said:
I need to get as close to the wall a I can. Wall is 5/8" drywall on conventional framing. Center of support box is 12". Back of stove is in the 7"-4" in range then. So, stove needs to be close. Had to do IT that way. Woodstock heat shields cant get ya that close...from what I have seen....am I wrong??

The wall is combustible, doesn't matter whether the drywall is 1/2" or 5/8". With the center of the ceiling support box 12" from the wall, you're already locked into double-wall connector pipe. If you can't find a stove that will permit the rear clearance you want, you may have to install the stove where it needs to be and use a couple of offsets in the connector pipe. Hearth and all required clearances around, of course, are an issue to be considering, as well. Rick

In between these stoves for price yet with tight clearances and soapstone-like performance, you might want to look at a PE Alderlea T6.

The heritage allows a 7" rear clearance and the PE stoves are even less, I believe 4". Do look at them and use Tom's site, the chimneysweep, to price them.

I had the same issue with clearance problems on the woodstock. For some reason they don't have a top vent fireview or a larger model. The rear vent means that even with a rear heatshield you need to be quite a ways from the back wall to the stove. The saving grace is that the front clearance is less than most due to the door being on the side only. The total footprint is similar to the heritage. A guy can start at your ceiling and add bends in the room to get the double wall to work with the woodstock. It'll just be out in your room farther than the alternatives.

If you are like most of us you will be looking at this stove for hours each day. You'll want an attractive stove for your living space. If money is really tight then you can run the 30 and it is a fine performer. Otherwise, the nicer stoves are a great investment.

Here is what I am looking at:

Hearthstone Heritage-Matte Black. $2,200 + $80 for heat shield. $2,280 total+tax!

Englander 30nc. $999-10% discount = $899+$250 for heat shield&blower;. $1149 total+tax

Hearthstone Heritage - $2439 total
Englander 30nc - $1218 total

The cost is double. What to do!??!!?

mr.highandmighty said:
Narrowed my stove choice to two. Can get a great deal on a brand new Hearthstone heritage. Also can land an Englander 30nc for a great price too. I have a 1900sqft log/timber frame home. Stove will be centrally located.

My dilemma...The Englander will be half the cost. Can I justify spending double on the Heritage???

Your opinion is welcome!!!

You know what you want to do, so just pull the trigger.

If that is a new Heritage from a dealer that is one hell of a deal for that stove.

Buy it.

I know...It is a scary great deal. Thats why I am agonizing over it.....needlessly!! Its new...never used. Gotta wait for him to get back from his weekend trip!! Gonna do it..just needed to fish for a "professionals" opinion!!!

How the hell do you ever decide which toothbrush to buy? 8-/ Rick

I got a couple you might be interested in. :lol: Rick

How long do you plan on using the stove? Are you going to move anytime soon?
Will you regret not buying the soapstone if that is what you really want.
What kind of burn times do you want and need?
If you think you want the Heritage and get the Englander 30 to save money, and then 4 years from now sell the 30 to get the Heritage, you will regrete it. I love the looks of the Heritage but I wanted the long burn times and got the Woodstock Fireview. I am planning on using this stove for a long time. Fireview is 18" to the rear wall. The rear exit flue will be double wall pipe.

Good luck with your decision. Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.