I need some boots, what do you suggest?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

redmanlcs

Burning Hunk
Nov 20, 2017
West Virginia
I am so frustrated. I have read a previous thread where someone was looking for some new boots and there were a lot of great suggestions, but I'm looking for something a little different. In the post it was stated that it would be best to buy "Made in the USA" and I totally agree, not just because the quality is generally better, but also because I like to support usa companies instead of japan, china, vietnam, etc. I have had many boots and shoes that were imported. I don't know what kind of glue they use, but it must be water soluble because after a couple trips through a wet field, the shoes fell apart and/or the soles came apart. Back in the day, lets say in the 90's, Rocky boots were pretty good. They had a decent warranty back then. When I now search for Rocky boot reviews, I find that many people have issues with the soles coming apart, cracking, or turning into a jelly like substance that would literally glue them to the floor when stored for any length of time.

What I'm looking for-----
1. My price range is no more than 150 bucks.
2. Preferably no steel toe, I like light footwear.
3. Preferably an 8 inch boot.
4. Preferably made in usa, but will buy imported as long as they are durable and good quality. I would like soles that are stitched on instead of glued around the toe as I have had too many boots/shoes that the rubber would peel off, but if someone has had a good experience with non-stiched soles, that would be ok as well.
5. I'm using these boots while cutting firewood but also for hunting. Logger type boots look too heavy and I don't really like the high heels that many of them have.
6. Waterproof and preferably insulated.

I have no problem finding a good boot, but I can't afford 2 or 300 bucks. I would like boots to last forever but I realize that is a pipedream. If I can get a couple years out of a pair I'm happy considering my price range. I have looked at redwing, rocky, matterhorn, carhart, etc and just can't find anything that appeals to me.

As of now, I like the looks of irish setters from cabelas, anyone have experience with them?... years ago I had pretty good luck from Herman Survivors, being a cheap boot I was happy, but I don't think they make them any longer...

If you had 100 bucks, and could "borrow" a few more 20's from a friend, and wanted what I am looking for, and would be happy if they lasted 2 years, what would you buy? I can't believe the price of boots today! Think hunting boots friends.. thx in advance.

I bought a pair of these Danner hunting boots last year during the Amish Black Friday sale at the local boot store. They weren't comfortable at first but seem to be getting better as time has gone on. I got the insulated version because my feet are always cold in the winter. Their web site says they are "MADE IN USA WITH IMPORTED COMPONENTS".

Last edited:
Reactions: SpaceBus
The company I work for as a diesel mechanic supplys us with boots from grainger. I have to say that the Iron age boots from there hold up well to daily wear and tear. My boots are always exposed to oil,fuel, coolant,water and, floor cleaning chemicals. I get about a year out of them. They have composite safety toes that don't freeze your toes and are light weight. With lighter use I don't see why they couldn't last a several years.

https://m.grainger.com/mobile/produ...Grainger/40M124_AS01?$smthumb$webparentimage$

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

I recommend a dedicated set of boots for hunting and dedicated set of boots for cutting/splitting/stacking.
Cabelas - Rocky camo 800gram insulation waterproof ~100-140. Although when these are done I would like 1200gram or more. Toes eventually get cold while in the tree stand.
Cabelas - Red Head steel toe waterproof ~60

Not insulated, but Pat Garret e-mailed out that he got some work boots in. He runs a great place for shearling right offI-78 in PA.

https://www.sickafus.com/sheepskin/YORKLWB.html

I still have my original Herman Survivors I bought probably in the 1970s. Not the Herman Survivors at Walmart these days.

I also have never worn Ecco winter boots. Received a 50% off coupon for volunteering at a golf tournament. Ecco was providing winter boots to the military at the time. They're really pricey, but were o.k. at 50% off. :)

I trashed a pair of Danner boots in jump school, but no fault of the boots. They were fantastic for running all day every day on pavement, mud, sand, etc. I could see someone not wearing them every single day to get a few years out of them if not more. I think @thewoodlands has a pair. I don't think I paid more than $150, but this was in 2009. Tarrifs and things have happened since then.

To get any real life expectancy out of a boot you need to take decent care of it. Don't wear them every day, pavement is also hard on everything. If you need decent boots to wear on a daily basis, but not a safety boot, I bought the Nike army boots every single year. They are simply the best daily wear boot made. This is because it's basically a tall running shoe. Real boots are tools for your feet and you should treat them as such.

Good news, bad news.

Unless you are cutting a LOT of firewood there is no reason you cannot work timber and hunt with a single pair of boots.

Steel toes are highly recommended for working firewood. Highly recommended. But I understand - I wear soft toe boots myself.

Waterproof, insulated, welted, made in USA, $150: It is not going to happen unless you can find someone selling factory seconds.

Unless they have something I have not seen, I would not want Rocky boots today for anything other than casual wear.

The next $50 you can find to spend will buy you far more value than the money expended. Even then, $200 is going to be tough. The kind of boot you are wanting will be more likely $250 to $300. For hunting and a couple of cords of firewood there in West Virginia, they should last 10 years, minimum. Say $25 per year.

You might take a look at this line: http://www.afboots.com/shop/ . They sell direct from the factory, are run by some experienced people, and that is all I know about them.

Direct attach soles can be very good these days. In some cases the sole is actually molded on over a welt (stitched midsole). This can be tremendously strong and even repairable (at the factory only), while remaining waterproof and flexible. However, this process is rather pricey. Ordinary direct attach is a mixed bag - it can be very good or terrible.

For the mid-atlantic region, I'd get uninsualted or light insulation. With a couple pairs of different weight wool socks you can vary the warmth as needed.

And plain toe - not a moc toe. You do not need anything catching you foot when working firewood.

I wear a pair for summer, and a different pair in winter.

My summer boots are Chippewa and are soft toed. Per their site, they are put together in the USA, but some parts are shipped in. They've been running strong and are finishing up their 2nd year of really hard use. The leather is pretty worn, but still intact.

My winter boots are Timberland Pro and are composite toed. I have 2 winters on them too, but arent subjected to the same abuse. Doubt they are made here.

Winter and wet boots are made by Kamik. They're like Muck boots, but were quite a bit cheaper when the mucks wore out. They state 73% of their products are made in north America. I wear them on slush days and ice fishing.

From the Kamik site:

Whether you’re hunting or fishing, be sure to bring your Bushman-V men’s boots along. Made in the USA with domestic and imported materials, these mossy oak boots feature lightweight RubberHe outsoles with Vibram® to provide incredible grip. Fully waterproof, with NiteRays reflective patches, and a composite toe, they’ll protect you in mother nature. Featuring AEGIS® odor-control treatment.

Hunting/hiking; wolverines durashock waterproof thinsilate
Work/bulletproof Matterhorn I have two pair one 12 years of coal mining and still waterproof. One 3 years mining and still in great shape. But they aren’t 150$ the USA lace ups are close to 300$

I have shopped and shopped... there is nothing in my quality/price range. Think I will wing it and try these.. if they last a year ill be happy and buy another pair next year... i just can't swing 300 bucks on boots right now...even tho I know they would be worth it.. these are the dreaded rocky brand.. but again... if they last just 1 year ill be good... what do you guys think on the price!!
2.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:
For $89 it can’t hurt to try them. I’ve had many flavors over the years, currently I’m stuck on Keen. I’m on my feet 8-10 hours a day and I need comfortable safety toe boots

Reactions: Osage
I have been a big fan of the 3 pairs of Keens I have owned. All 3 have been different styles but I have been more than satisfied with all. These are my current ones. I very light and I know my saw can go through the aluminum but it might slow it down enough to save me. Very light boots.

Attachments

• s-l300.jpg
    s-l300.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 176
Reactions: D8Chumley
I have shopped and shopped... there is nothing in my quality/price range. Think I will wing it and try these.. if they last a year ill be happy and buy another pair next year... i just can't swing 300 bucks on boots right now...even tho I know they would be worth it.. these are the dreaded rocky brand.. but again... if they last just 1 year ill be good... what do you guys think on the price!!
View attachment 247440

What size you wear?

Irish setters.
The company I work for gives us a $150 boot voucher every 2 years for safety toe boots at the Red Wing store. Last year I got the 8” Irish Setters for the first time, very comfortable out of the box. These are my Fall/Winter boots as long as it doesn’t get too cold. Spring also, and so far I like them.

I trashed a pair of Danner boots in jump school, but no fault of the boots. They were fantastic for running all day every day on pavement, mud, sand, etc. I could see someone not wearing them every single day to get a few years out of them if not more. I think @thewoodlands has a pair. I don't think I paid more than $150, but this was in 2009. Tarrifs and things have happened since then.

To get any real life expectancy out of a boot you need to take decent care of it. Don't wear them every day, pavement is also hard on everything. If you need decent boots to wear on a daily basis, but not a safety boot, I bought the Nike army boots every single year. They are simply the best daily wear boot made. This is because it's basically a tall running shoe. Real boots are tools for your feet and you should treat them as such.
I did buy the Danner boots, I like them but everyone is different when it comes to boots.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I've been looking at Thorogood boots. Made in Wisconsin I believe. Haven't bought any yet but I believe they will be my next pair.

I highly recommend them, mine have been great.

Timberland Pro
1698684814620.png