I need to get another woodstove... please help me decide

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I purchased a Lopi this year. Although I don't have a Rockport (Liberty) I can say that I was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship that go into the Lopi's. So far they seems like very quality stoves. Good Luck!

Hi, first post. I've spent a couple hours reading the different BK threads and enjoyed it.

We're interested in a BK, but do not know which model will work for us yet as my brain is muddled with lots of different people's opinions and realizing everyone has a different situation so I would appreciate any thoughts before I become a deer in the headlights while speaking with a sales person. This is a 20 year old log cabin and we were kind of surprised there wasn't a wood burner or a fireplace!

We want to be able to use the wood burner for the shoulder seasons (and we want the longest burns possible) and not depend on any central/propane heat being available. This is in north west TN in Henry County. It's a little over 3,000 sq ft with 1000 in the finished basement. The wood burner will be on the main floor/first floor. This main floor has the dr, kit, lr, 1/2 bath, a master br with full bath while the upstairs has a nice sized lr in the open loft area and a master br with full bath. This br has walls and a door, unlike the loft lr.

My guestimate is it's 28' floor to ceiling in the highest part of the house, but we'll probably be around 18' for the inside part of the vent pipe and hopefully will be far enough away from the dormer to not need to go an extreme length above the roof.

Here is the link for the monthly temps...I just went backwards on the calendar to see the actual temps last year: https://weather.com/weather/monthly...7668fc8d9258e18e5173455913ce8b144019363815b1c The low hit 2 in February during a string of 8 days below 20

View from the loft:
loft.jpg
view from the floor - couch will be gone and wood burner will be where the bookshelf is:
den.jpg
This is in the area to the left of the left dormer:
genBcs.2270972_0.jpg

Thanks in advance for any education on the BK models best suited for our needs before I go talk to a sales person and become a deer in the headlights!
AshBox

Reactions: Todd
Hi, first post. I've spent a couple hours reading the different BK threads and enjoyed it.

We're interested in a BK, but do not know which model will work for us yet as my brain is muddled with lots of different people's opinions and realizing everyone has a different situation so I would appreciate any thoughts before I become a deer in the headlights while speaking with a sales person. This is a 20 year old log cabin and we were kind of surprised there wasn't a wood burner or a fireplace!

We want to be able to use the wood burner for the shoulder seasons (and we want the longest burns possible) and not depend on any central/propane heat being available. This is in north west TN in Henry County. It's a little over 3,000 sq ft with 1000 in the finished basement. The wood burner will be on the main floor/first floor. This main floor has the dr, kit, lr, 1/2 bath, a master br with full bath while the upstairs has a nice sized lr in the open loft area and a master br with full bath. This br has walls and a door, unlike the loft lr.

My guestimate is it's 28' floor to ceiling in the highest part of the house, but we'll probably be around 18' for the inside part of the vent pipe and hopefully will be far enough away from the dormer to not need to go an extreme length above the roof.

Here is the link for the monthly temps...I just went backwards on the calendar to see the actual temps last year: https://weather.com/weather/monthly...7668fc8d9258e18e5173455913ce8b144019363815b1c The low hit 2 in February during a string of 8 days below 20

View from the loft:
genMid.2270972_17_0.jpg

view from the floor - couch will be gone and wood burner will be where the bookshelf is:
genMid.2270972_11_0.jpg

This is in the area to the left of the left dormer:
genBcs.2270972_0.jpg

Thanks in advance for any education on the BK models best suited for our needs before I go talk to a sales person and become a deer in the headlights!
AshBox

Nice place!

I think the model does not really matter; they have all the same technology, same advantages. Check on the BK website for a comparison of output ranges. Though most people would recommend the Princess or a 30 box over a 20 box. Just longer burn times with similar output ranges.

Have a look and see what is visually the most appealing for your (wife's) taste...

I think I should fly down there and personally review your needs....when does deer season open? Actually, very nice cabin and some beautiful mounts.

Stoveliker is correct. All our units have the same ability for shoulder season and dead of winter heating. Pick an appearance you like (you meaning your wife) and then decide the size of firebox. The larger boxes hold more fuel and importantly, longer piece length.

Now the bad news...if you find a dealer with the unit you like in stock, grab it! All us manufacturers are seeing unprecedented demand...the tax credit it a major contributor. If you can't find it in stock, our lead times are now 8-10 weeks.

Again, great looking place.

BKVP

Nice place!

I think the model does not really matter; they have all the same technology, same advantages. Check on the BK website for a comparison of output ranges. Though most people would recommend the Princess or a 30 box over a 20 box. Just longer burn times with similar output ranges.

Have a look and see what is visually the most appealing for your (wife's) taste...
Thank you for the reply, I was thinking the Princess or a 30 box, based on what I had read, but needed confirmation because I couldn't see much difference between the models other than the look and 1,000 btu and a 76 vs 80 burn efficiency. I don't know if those differences matter much. Now we need to find some well seasoned wood. I like what one person said they do and that is to bring the next couple of loads inside the day before to lower the moisture content further. Also, thinking we will do double pipe inside so it's still relatively hot at the top to keep things burned off and clean. Thank you again!

I think I should fly down there and personally review your needs....when does deer season open? Actually, very nice cabin and some beautiful mounts.

Stoveliker is correct. All our units have the same ability for shoulder season and dead of winter heating. Pick an appearance you like (you meaning your wife) and then decide the size of firebox. The larger boxes hold more fuel and importantly, longer piece length.

Now the bad news...if you find a dealer with the unit you like in stock, grab it! All us manufacturers are seeing unprecedented demand...the tax credit it a major contributor. If you can't find it in stock, our lead times are now 8-10 weeks.

Again, great looking place.

BKVP
We don't mind the tax credit or the visit! Thankfully, after a dozen phone calls, I found a 30 in stock and they're willing to travel to install it, but you're both right...need the wife to approve the 'look'. The place is quoting $800 to $1,000 for labor and the same for the materials as a rough estimate until they can come out to do a visual. I'm not sure if those are good prices or if the 30 box is a good price, but I'll just stick with being happy I found one in stock. They're scheduling installs into December.

Many thanks to everyone who posts on here...I learned a lot very quickly thanks to all of you!

You won't really be able to notice the difference in efficiencies. But more efficient is always better.

Getting seasoned firewood now, for this winter, is almost impossible. Wood needs to lay, split, covered. I do three years, some two, and for some wood one year is doable. Buying seasoned wood often means it has been seasoning on the truck to you. With wood that's too wet, you'll be disappointed in what the stove does

So, get a moisture meter, measure on a freshly split face. Best is below 20% . And measure before the vendor unloads ..

Having it inside for a few days won't be solve a problem of unseasoned wood. It.might help a bit with borderline seasoned wood.

So get going now on getting wood (e.g. pine, cherry, ash) for next year. Split, stack, top cover now..AND get going for wood for the year after. You, your stove, and those in your home will thank you for it later .

Thank you for the reply, I was thinking the Princess or a 30 box, based on what I had read, but needed confirmation because I couldn't see much difference between the models other than the look and 1,000 btu and a 76 vs 80 burn efficiency. I don't know if those differences matter much. Now we need to find some well seasoned wood. I like what one person said they do and that is to bring the next couple of loads inside the day before to lower the moisture content further. Also, thinking we will do double pipe inside so it's still relatively hot at the top to keep things burned off and clean. Thank you again!
The Princess is 6" deep below door opening and the Sirocco 30 is 3". That added 3" means less frequent emptying of ashes.

You won't really be able to notice the difference in efficiencies. But more efficient is always better.

Getting seasoned firewood now, for this winter, is almost impossible. Wood needs to lay, split, covered. I do three years, some two, and for some wood one year is doable. Buying seasoned wood often means it has been seasoning on the truck to you. With wood that's too wet, you'll be disappointed in what the stove does

So, get a moisture meter, measure on a freshly split face. Best is below 20% . And measure before the vendor unloads ..

Having it inside for a few days won't be solve a problem of unseasoned wood. It.might help a bit with borderline seasoned wood.

So get going now on getting wood (e.g. pine, cherry, ash) for next year. Split, stack, top cover now..AND get going for wood for the year after. You, your stove, and those in your home will thank you for it later .
That makes sense. I'll dig into info on moisture meters. Sadly, we don't move in for another month, but working hard now to get this all put together and scheduled.
I'm hoping to get lucky looking daily on a couple websites for a home owner getting rid of their seasoned stack of wood.

Reactions: stoveliker
Ah, now that's good info to have. Thanks!

Yes. On the other hand, I scooped out ash about once every two weeks last year. And you may be burning less wood, being in TN. The princess is a fantastic stove, but I wouldn't choose based on this.

Efficiency, split lengths, BTU output range, but as (as long as you don't go with a 20 box), all these are close enough to just pick the one you visually like best.

Yes. On the other hand, I scooped out ash about once every two weeks last year. And you may be burning less wood, being in TN. The princess is a fantastic stove, but I wouldn't choose based on this.

Efficiency, split lengths, BTU output range, but as (as long as you don't go with a 20 box), all these are close enough to just pick the one you visually like best.
Yes, and what's in stock controls the decision also. The wife has spoken...the Ashford 30.2 is the look (same as I was hoping for) and, thankfully, is what's in stock. Thanks again!!!

Yes, and what's in stock controls the decision also. The wife has spoken...the Ashford 30.2 is the look (same as I was hoping for) and, thankfully, is what's in stock. Thanks again!!!

Congrats. Treat it well (just wood, dry), and you'll be happy with it

Reactions: AshBox
She gets the AF30.2 and you get an elk hunt..

Reactions: AshBox