I need to get into this

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jetsam

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2015
Long Island, NY
youtu.be
Somebody somewhere has figured out how to get serious money for the branches that they used to chip up and dump.... Those teeny little bundles are $11.99 each, 65 to a pallet, and the pallet is about 42x42x48. That's $2033 a cord!

If I can figure out how to trick people into paying me that much for old branches, I will never need to work again, and I will have many fewer brush piles to burn off....

Image1403171464.jpg

Attachments

• Image-1114808458.jpg
    Image-1114808458.jpg
    211.5 KB · Views: 180
Only in NY

I like when the sell birch at HD and tell people it's great firewood. The crap they sell for $25 might last them 1 hour. Some of these people are Sheep

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

But its pretty, and white, and clean and organic. Its not like that stuff grows on trees, ya know...;lol;lol

Hey hey I come here to get away from that word "organic" the wife and her friends won't turn it loose. I gotta sneak to get a bite of gmo filled food lol.

It doesn't have to make sense to us, but it's a great concept.

I wonder if the whole logs are more for show. The HD website has a bag of 10 birch splits going for about $9 (link), which they claim gets you 2 hours of burn time. The reviews are pretty incredible:

...the price was a bit high but would buy it again.

Yes, it does burn quite quickly. However, this is great if you dont want to wait around to make sure all the coals burn out.

I tried a few other options starting from 2004 when we bought an apartment with a fireplace until I came across this Estonian around 2007. And I stick to this for the last 7 years, not going back.

!!!

Reactions: Gboutdoors
Some people just like to have pretty wood in the fireplace when it isn't burning. Birch fits the bill. My grandmother had the same birch logs in her fireplace for at least 30 years. When I was flipping houses, I'd have bought one of these without a second thought to dress up an otherwise empty looking fireplace. Paying $12 for a single decoration isn't so outlandish.

Somebody somewhere has figured out how to get serious money for the branches that they used to chip up and dump.... Those teeny little bundles are $11.99 each, 65 to a pallet, and the pallet is about 42x42x48. That's $2033 a cord!

If I can figure out how to trick people into paying me that much for old branches, I will never need to work again, and I will have many fewer brush piles to burn off....

View attachment 190543
Wow.

I have 5 birch logs that I cut from my own property that sit in my empty fireplace during the summer. They look great, but no way would I pay $10 for them to burn.

But it must be great firewood . . . all of the catalogs and pretty shots of homes show white birch stacked up beside or in the fireplace. ;)

Well, for $11.99, you're getting an attractive nylon mesh bag ($0.10), some sturdy plastic straps ($0.05), a nice color cardboard tag listing the many features and benefits of the enclosed sticks ($0.03), a strong aura of Artisanalishness ($11. 80), and lastly a couple sticks ($0.01).

Reactions: CentralVAWoodHeat
Well, for $11.99, you're getting an attractive nylon mesh bag ($0.10), some sturdy plastic straps ($0.05), a nice color cardboard tag listing the many features and benefits of the enclosed sticks ($0.03), a strong aura of Artisanalishness ($11. 80), and lastly a couple sticks ($0.01).
Looking at it another way...

Bag of decorative birch logs: $11.99
Entertainment value on hearth.com: Priceless!
For everything else, there's scrounging. :)

my brother and i were walking in NYC the other day and saw a pile of wood. my 4yo said... look papa, they have a little wood pile.

My brother responded with, yeah, your papa should sell his wood to people in the city.

I turned to my wife and said.... see, its like we are millionaires! Every split is worth around $3 at new york prices!

I also feel the need to mock this "INDOOR OUTDOOR JUMBO BONFIRE", which is also a thing that you can pay money for. (Though plunge cutting a dryish round like that is in fact a fairly handy way to heat up your lunch, because you can set a pot on it.)

Image-237317267.jpg

This whole thing has a MAJOR pucker factor on da Cheapster. LOL

(I'm selling some Arizona swampland btw if anyone wants to send money now that would be great.)

Reactions: Blazing
Stop hatin' on Birch. Birch is pretty good firewood, and by far the best firewood in Alaska and northern Canada. I agree the amount of firewood for $12 is pathetic, but it isn't Birch's fault.

Sincerely,
The Far North Firewood Appreciation Society

now this is a good story!!! so over here we have some amish friends . . . and they are great people. . . well anyway the one dude was talking to my cousin and he said he was in the business of making 'sexwood' and we were like ok; what is sexwood? the Dutchman then proceeded to explain that its the firewood that they sell like 5 pieces of wood for ten bucks so the city people can make a fire in their fireplace and well ya know.... it was hilarious!!!!!!!!!

At my fathers we took down a birch immediately after it died. Cut and split it and burned it the following winter. The branches made great kindling. When allive it was a beautiful tree, tall and perfectly straight. Most yard birches around here seem to grow crooked.

now this is a good story!!! so over here we have some amish friends . . . and they are great people. . . well anyway the one dude was talking to my cousin and he said he was in the business of making 'sexwood' and we were like ok; what is sexwood? the Dutchman then proceeded to explain that its the firewood that they sell like 5 pieces of wood for ten bucks so the city people can make a fire in their fireplace and well ya know.... it was hilarious!!!!!!!!!

It must be a city thing because I've made two fires a day in this wood stove for months and....

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000

View attachment 190543
$11.99 is a bargain for gourmet wood like that. I think it's easy to get into that. Just buy HD stock.