I see a web site selling ductwork to move heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You can do that same setup buying pieces separately for under $150 from lowes. Flex duct , etc. And duct boost fan for at $35 on amazon.

If thats a hood over the stove im sure thats code violation though.

Nice concept, but application would be limited to the situation. Running 12 inch duct work is a major obstacle. since the flex duct work is insulated, it could go in the attic, or basement installs. Take a look at the cost. $469 to run to two rooms. Looks like it draws ceiling air to circulate. safe to 140 F. (uninsulated to 180 F) Payback for raising the temp up a few degrees might be a long time coming. Little electric oil space heater might be a better option in the short run. Might want to look at buying those parts for the same project at other outlets. i.e the insulated flex work is available at Granger. 25 ft of 10 inch at $52. The in line booster fans are very inexpensive and available in most box hardware stores. Nice web site, many other options there. manuals etc and links to other sites.

save$ said:
Nice concept, but application would be limited to the situation. Running 12 inch duct work is a major obstacle. since the flex duct work is insulated, it could go in the attic, or basement installs. Take a look at the cost. $469 to run to two rooms. Looks like it draws ceiling air to circulate. safe to 140 F. (uninsulated to 180 F) Payback for raising the temp up a few degrees might be a long time coming. Little electric oil space heater might be a better option in the short run. Might want to look at buying those parts for the same project at other outlets. i.e the insulated flex work is available at Granger. 25 ft of 10 inch at $52. The in line booster fans are very inexpensive and available in most box hardware stores. Nice web site, many other options there. manuals etc and links to other sites.

That's why there is something like this, or muffin fans in the door way.

Hoverfly said:
save$ said:

That's why there is something like this, or muffin fans in the door way.

I like that much better. No visible/unsightly duct work!

You can get your own parts if you want to build them your self to save some money. If you watch the video on 4 facts in 60 seconds you can put a Tstat and/or speed control on it as well.

Interesting that they do not mention building code in the pdf which requires any return vent to be 10' away from the heating appliance. A more effective and safer method is to work with natural convection by reversing the flow and blow the cooler room air, low, toward the stove. Warm air will replace the cooler air. Doing it this way also reduces the effect of duct heat loss.

I just use a 16 inch pedistal fan, and it works great for me...Moves heat down to the other end of the house in a jiffy !! And no unsightly pipes all over the place....

Nicholas440 said:
I just use a 16 inch pedestal fan, and it works great for me...Moves heat down to the other end of the house in a jiffy !! And no unsightly pipes all over the place....
I also have a fan like that at the base of the stairs blowing toward the stove. That with my ceiling fans, we are warm most everywhere in the house.

BeGreen said:
A more effective and safer method is to work with natural convection by reversing the flow and blow the cooler room air, low, toward the stove. Warm air will replace the cooler air. Doing it this way also reduces the effect of duct heat loss.

This should be a sticky!

j-takeman said:
BeGreen said:
A more effective and safer method is to work with natural convection by reversing the flow and blow the cooler room air, low, toward the stove. Warm air will replace the cooler air. Doing it this way also reduces the effect of duct heat loss.

This should be a sticky!

That's a great Idea!

I think I suggested that last year......

BeGreen said:
Interesting that they do not mention building code in the pdf which requires any return vent to be 10' away from the heating appliance. A more effective and safer method is to work with natural convection by reversing the flow and blow the cooler room air, low, toward the stove. Warm air will replace the cooler air. Doing it this way also reduces the effect of duct heat loss.

Ten feet is not that of a big deal as allot of heat is up on the ceiling any way.

I am also extremely interested in something like this. I have a small rancher with the stove on one end and the two brooms on the other end of the house and no basement. I got a panasonic wisperquiet ceiling mount 150cfm duct fan brand new for free and have some insulated ducts. I want to install the fan in the ceiling of the living room where the stove is and run the duct to a Y and then to each bedroom. I'm hesitant to install it because I keep hearing mixed reviews about it. Some say it works like a charm some say it's a waste of time. I have heard others say that the best way is to put fans on the ground and blow the cold air from the floor level of the rooms to the stove and have the warm stove air replace it but I don't want fans and wires running all over the floor, Esp with a pregnant wife walking around.

Sorry to sort of thread jack but it's still on the same topic.

Anyone have actual experience doing this, besides the guys that ducted an intake right in front of the stove like donn?

(no offense btw donn, I like your setup and I think it's smart but it is not feasible for me and how our stove is installed)

Any input?

Try a single 12" desk fan on the floor, in the cooler area blowing toward the stove. This works well for ranch homes. Not a lot of wires, just one fan. Your wife is pregnant, not disabled. She will avoid the fan without any problems.

BeGreen said:
Try a single 12" desk fan on the floor, in the cooler area blowing toward the stove. This works well for ranch homes. Not a lot of wires, just one fan. Your wife is pregnant, not disabled. She will avoid the fan without any problems.

While I agree with the simplicity of your solution, it just seems like kind of a jury rigged solution. I would rather install a more permanent, out-of-sight system. I also already have a switched circuit that is not currently being used in the attic. It would be an easy install.

Regardless ill try your way until I hear from someone who "guiea pigged" my method.

Oh and regarding the pregnant thing, she sure seams handicapped most of the time, haha

Papelletguy said:
I am also extremely interested in something like this. I have a small rancher with the stove on one end and the two brooms on the other end of the house and no basement. I got a panasonic wisperquiet ceiling mount 150cfm duct fan brand new for free and have some insulated ducts. I want to install the fan in the ceiling of the living room where the stove is and run the duct to a Y and then to each bedroom. I'm hesitant to install it because I keep hearing mixed reviews about it. Some say it works like a charm some say it's a waste of time. I have heard others say that the best way is to put fans on the ground and blow the cold air from the floor level of the rooms to the stove and have the warm stove air replace it but I don't want fans and wires running all over the floor, Esp with a pregnant wife walking around.

Anyone have actual experience doing this, besides the guys that ducted an intake right in front of the stove like donn?

(no offense btw donn, I like your setup and I think it's smart but it is not feasible for me and how our stove is installed)

Any input?

Before I did my plenum/duct mod to my stove. I had a similar hood/duct combo with some duct assist fans. hood was placed where the heat was collecting(used a laser therm to find hot spot) and the fans were sucking the heat from the hood thru the ducts. It was only slightly better IMHO. I got more bang from a fan set to low down at floor level facing the stove. Moving the cold air is easier than trying to force the warm air around.

With some trials, I found if your going to try moving the warm air, Its best to do it before the air is heated and then force it past the heat exchanger thru the duct. Must be something to do with duct heat loss??? IDK for sure, But the colder it was the harder it was to warm the other area with hood/duct configuration. Present setup works much better even in the cold!

Every situation is different though.

j-takeman said:
Papelletguy said:

Any input?

Before I did my plenum/duct mod to my stove. I had a similar hood/duct combo with some duct assist fans. hood was placed where the heat was collecting(used a laser therm to find hot spot) and the fans were sucking the heat from the hood thru the ducts. It was only slightly better IMHO. I got more bang from a fan set to low down at floor level facing the stove. Moving the cold air is easier than trying to force the warm air around.

With some trials, I found if your going to try moving the warm air, Its best to do it before the air is heated and then force it past the heat exchanger thru the duct. Must be something to do with duct heat loss??? IDK for sure, But the colder it was the harder it was to warm the other area with hood/duct configuration. Present setup works much better even in the cold!

Every situation is different though.

Good info takeman. I'm bummed that my master plan is a bust though, haha.

jmcp said:
I am in lower bucks pa this site is in colorada I also think its way over priced but it did catch my eye

sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.