I see wood every where.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BIGDADDY

Feeling the Heat
May 17, 2012
I wonder ,is it just me ,or do any of you all see wood every where? Even when it's not wood,Isee wood. I was driving the other day and I saw wood but when I up close it was a pile of squash.

Yes! It kills me to see all of the dead trees when I drive around.<>

Reactions: ScotO
I see wood all over for sure and a lot of dead wood. Mainly ash and elm around here. I was looking the other day when we went out for some fresh milk. It is 7 miles to the little country store and between our place and there, I'd guess there is enough dead wood that would heat perhaps 1,000 homes with ease. Sort of sad indeed.

I have 20 to 30 dead cherry trees on my place all within a half acre. The are not huge but about 30 feet tall. I don't know what killed them. Some have been dead for sometime. I noticed this spring. I started cutting them yesterday only problem is the rotten poison ivy. I am hoping I don't get it but seems like I always do. I wash with that Fels Napa soap when I come in I will know in a few days I suppose. I have 4 or 5 days I figure until I get them all cut up and hauled in. I only spend about 4 hours a day. Getting to old.

Bigdaddy, don't forget that the sap will still be on the clothing! Does not good to wash up and then touch the infected cloth.

I wonder ,is it just me ,or do any of you all see wood every where? Even when it's not wood,Isee wood. I was driving the other day and I saw wood but when I up close it was a pile of squash.

Not quite, but I can't help looking for downed trees ,and the identifying them . I'm always on the lookout for stuff like that . There's a huge white oak that's down in a yard not to far from here . Looks like they got the easy parts but left the 20' long trunk that's about 3' in diameter .Ive been formulating a plan to rescue it from the termites ,but don't want to seem to eager to get it .

Ah yes, the old firewood game. It never fails when you see a dead/downed tree the old head math starts up....what kind of wood is it and how would you cut it? How much wood could I get out of it? How close can you get the truck/trailer to where it is....its a sickness!

I see wood every where, I had to go to London on Monday and in the two hour drive from Windsor I was eyeballing the dead ash trees and checking the bark on the locust trees to see of they were honey or black (hard but not impossible to do traveling 70mph).

One thing I noticed and meant to make a thread about was how all the ash from Windsor to London are dead but as I got into the city of London there were live healthy looking ash trees everywhere. How can this be? maybe they've been treating their trees for years because all of the ones in Windsor (across the river from Detroit) and Essex county have been dead for five years or so.

Welcome to the club.;lol

Yea, see them all the time, stacks of birch logs laying on the ground rotting.
When you work hard to get wood, it seems easy stuff is everywhere, but on private property or just out of reach for various reasons.

Saw a bunch of down birch trees on my drive to Anchorage along the power line ROW.
Easy cutting if a guy could get access. If you call, legal & safety concerns stop them from letting you go get it.

When I see wood, which is everywhere, I get wood!;)

I have 20 to 30 dead cherry trees on my place all within a half acre. The are not huge but about 30 feet tall. I don't know what killed them. Some have been dead for sometime. I noticed this spring. I started cutting them yesterday only problem is the rotten poison ivy. I am hoping I don't get it but seems like I always do. I wash with that Fels Napa soap when I come in I will know in a few days I suppose. I have 4 or 5 days I figure until I get them all cut up and hauled in. I only spend about 4 hours a day. Getting to old.

What is it with cherry and poison ivy? I have a half dead cherry littering my yard with dead branches evrytime we get a little wind. Its pretty tall, about 40 feet and had 3 vines of poison ivy growing up and all around it. I cut the ivy at the roots and when the ground is frozen and I have my new hip Im gonna drop it.

What is it with cherry and poison ivy? I have a half dead cherry littering my yard with dead branches evrytime we get a little wind. Its pretty tall, about 40 feet and had 3 vines of poison ivy growing up and all around it. I cut the ivy at the roots and when the ground is frozen and I have my new hip Im gonna drop it.
Make sure you wear long sleeves and throwaway gloves, that poison stays in the plant indefinitely.

It's all over my neck of the woods but I will get my hands on some nice oak in a little bit from the storm we had the other day

Bigdaddy, don't forget that the sap will still be on the clothing! Does not good to wash up and then touch the infected cloth.

Thanks Savage. I got it poison all over both forearms. I can't stand wearing long sleeves because I sweat so much. I will probably call the doctor for some prednisone if it gets worse which it probably will.
I guess I will take a little poison to get that wood out of there.

Best wishes on the hip replacement surgery. I got poison from the vine in the dead of winter. That stuff is wicked. Hopefully your vines will be dried out since you cut them, smart plan.

That oil can stay viable for a few years, even in dead vines. I think I am a magnet for it.

its the same as when deer season starts to draw near...seems everywhere you look you can spot deer but as the season gets closer you can spot them further and further and further away and more often

Thanks Savage. I got it poison all over both forearms. I can't stand wearing long sleeves because I sweat so much. I will probably call the doctor for some prednisone if it gets worse which it probably will.
I guess I will take a little poison to get that wood out of there.

Only had it once in my life but never want it again! First place it struck me was really nasty. That, I guess, is one of the problems with how men pee.....

Status
Not open for further replies.