I think I may of had a chimney fire.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

NFAZ10

Apr 8, 2018
NJ,USA
Top down 80D68148-E10A-4358-9163-2C43DD9594C9.jpeg
Bottom upEFD67075-E2F3-4B17-9FEC-206E95AD64E3.jpeg
Looking out the connector1764190C-0CC1-408A-95BA-73F08D95BB6A.jpeg Had my stove burning all day put in a CSL was burning for about 30 min when I noticed that my single wall pipe was at 850F I opened the doors and saw bright orange inside my chimney! I closed the damper and air all the way and watched it closely with IR gun. Temps started to drop. No smoke out of the top of the chimney.

Photos are taken a few hours after

From inside the stove
Top down
And bottom up

Does it look like any damage?

Outside of the pipe fully intact never got warm.

It’s Duravent triple wall

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont think it was a chimney fire. Maybe a connector fire. Was the single wall glowing on the outside?

Whether it was a flue fire, connector fire, or chimney fire is it any different really?

Not sure if you had any kind of chimney fire.

Sounds like you just got it hot, no noises?

Yes it does look suspiciously like a chimney fire. But i wiuld have to see what is in the cleanout cap to know for sure. I also see what may be some distortion in the chimney pipe

i wiuld have to see what is in the cleanout cap to know for sure. I also see what may be some distortion in the chimney pipe
What are we seeing in the top down, first pic? Is that where the connector pipe changes to triple-wall?

What are we seeing in the top down, first pic? Is that where the connector pipe changes to triple-wall?
No it is a tee system. I would say you are seeing where it stopped burning intensely for some reason.

No it is a tee system. I would say you are seeing where it stopped burning intensely for some reason.
I figured the last pic was a shot back into the tee snout, with the creo lying there...?

That first pic is looking awfully dirty to me. Which also makes me wonder why it didn't go up in flames too.

that struck me too, its like the chimney fire got snuffed out before it burned the entire way up. That top half is way to dirty yet.
My chimney fire burned my liner clean as a whistle to where it looked brand new again. I'd guess you had a partial chimney fire and shut down the air quick enough to snuff it out before it was finished.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
A CSL only coats the glazed creo with a mineral that changes it into a sweepable form. Does nothing to clear it out. You still need to manually remove it.

Reactions: bholler and edyit