I think she's a goner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Burning Hunk
Jan 19, 2013
Northern Minnesota
_20150911_141950.JPG
Think the old dutch elm disease got another one. I've lost two others over the past couple years. This one lost all its leaves on one side in June. To bad, its one of my favorite trees in the yard. _20150911_141950.JPG

I'll trade dutch elm disease for what we have here in Idaho. Elm Seed Bugs. Do a google search on these little bastards, southern Idaho is the 1st place in the western hemisphere they decided to pop up. They feed on the seeds in spring, then they find every crack and crevice in your house and invade by the tens of thousands. We had them so bad around here they would be crawling by the metric ton out of every light socket and power plugin the entire place. You literally had to shield your dinner plate or you would have them falling off the ceiling into your food whilst you sat at the table. And there is no pesticide sold anywhere in the US that is effective at killing them. I remember this one time I was eating a bowl of Coco Pebbles and didn't check the spoon.........................................Oh Dear God.

That all said, that would have been a beautiful tree. Yay for firewood! I actually burn a lot of elm that is very dry, coals last for hours, and since we cut all of ours down, not a single one has returned.

T n b,

Good story. Those bugs sound like something terrible. I burned the other two elms and this one will also end up in the stove. That's it for my elms but i have plenty of ash and oak in the woods so that's what I usually burn. Spent the afternoon splitting kindling so the warden doesn't complain about starting fires when I'm gone. Winter will be here before we know it.

Reactions: pen
Status
Not open for further replies.