I think winter's over

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
In the 30's today and the 20's tonight....we're burning :)

It went down into the low 40s here last night
Cleaned my glass off a little. :) It's been 50s and 60s by day, with a 65 day coming up.

Still burning 24/7 but the end is in sight. Kind of looking forward to it now- shoulder season burning is less work but also less fun than winter burning. No big face-melty fires. :(

40F here tonight, but the house seems to be holding whatever heat it picked up last week. No fire needed.

Its officially "shoulder season" .

It's more like yoyo season back east this year. We are on a very slow warmup on the left coast. Highs 50-60 and lows around 45F.

We did just about two weeks of rainy drizzly 50 degree days and nights with no, and I mean no, sunshine. Kept the stove running low and slow with 18ish hour burns of Chinese Elm and the house stayed perfect. Now we are into the climb out, full sun yesterday and 58, full sun today and 62ish for the high and near 70 predicted tomorrow. When we have full sun we get huge solar gains so we have not had a fire for 2 days and we may only have a couple take the chill off nights left in the season. We will see. Coming up on 4 months with the new Princes and starting to get a real feel for what she can do. Kind of excited about next season already :) Oh yeah, just added the convection deck and really like it.

huauqui

Still burning...the weather has sucked. 2" of snow this morning.

BUT....it will be 65 and sunny on sunday and 75 on monday.

I'll take it!

Same here in Rochester......33 snow and 25 mph winds. Just built fire no#2 of the day.

I will load my stove for the last time this season tomorrow morning.....fingers crossed.

We have some 4 weeks old chicks in a brooder in the house right now that REALLY need too find there way to the coop. Wife says "not until the weather gets better."

I will load my stove for the last time this season tomorrow morning.....fingers crossed.

We have some 4 weeks old chicks in a brooder in the house right now that REALLY need too find there way to the coop. Wife says "not until the weather gets better."

That's what I thought too, a few weeks ago, I forgot I live in Michigan.

Note to self: cut more shoulder season wood this year.

17799063_1854460281246973_686106558439796116_n.jpg

Reactions: tarzan
Been close to hot around here and now we are going into the thirties tonight and tomorrow night. Early jumpers are gonna be losing some garden produce.

Reactions: Dix
In the 40's again today...been burning pine...I mean softwoods, and 2 days of fire and hardly any ash. My daughter has taken to scooping ash every morning and was wondering why there was no ash...the glory of "softwoods."

According to the ABC weatherman here on Channel 8, at the Dallas Fort Worth International Airport we have had only 11 recorded freezes and the last freeze was the 13 degrees on January the 8th. He was emphatic, all the models show no chances of freezes until next fall.:)

I think winter is over but there might be a few spring storms that have not realized this yet. We had freeze warnings last night and light frost this morning with 33*f. I started a fire in the stove around eight to prep for the chill in the morning.

How many chickens do you have? We just started our own small flock last summer. We get three eggs per day from our flock of four hens, and got our first double egg this week. twins!

1213614f285b9b3773d53ef48fe66153.jpg

Been there, done that. Last fall, actually!

I'm doing our first mowing this weekend. Hopefully today, if it dries out enough. It's been a very wet week or two, lots of standing water on the lawn on Thursday, and cold drizzle all day Friday. We'll see...

Reactions: tarzan
Did our first mowing at the beginning of the week. That's 3 weeks later than the first mowing last year. And this morning I started up the fire again.

Reactions: Ashful
This is the coldest time of year in the house, when its too warm to light the stove but chilly in the house. In winter its always 80 in the house!

Had a low fire going all day. Weather has been totally schizophrenic. Sunny one moment and biblical rain + hail the next. Nice rainbows in between. It's 44F now so we'll have an overnight fire.

It was 70 today! Cat went inactive (I turned the thermostat down extremely low and then went away for 14 hours), but the fire didn't go out.

Down to 24 hour reloads, mostly for overnight warmth. It's going back to highs in the 50s later this week, though, so the end isn't in sight.

Last edited:
Ending .. I'm going to let the OB pick up the balance of it, pretty much.

3 years ahead, more firewood coming in this season, I'll be golden;)

Reactions: jatoxico