I took three trips....My latest scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
A pretty decent load of creosote spewing, chimney clogging, you can only burn this outside pine.

Responded to an ad on CL. A guy was having some work done in his backyard and needed to get rid of some pine. It was a pretty darn good amount. I made three trips to get this. On the first trip, he helped me load up. So I helped him move the rest of the pile off his lawn and near the woods. I came back once last week at lunch...then again yesterday for the final load.

The guy was so happy I was taking this off his hands. He asked if I was burning this in a firepit and I said yes. I don't make it a habbit of lecturing people on the fact that you can burn pine, when they're giving away wood for free. I don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

My 4x8 trailer would have made this job a lot easier...but that's up in VT.

Attachments

• IMG00144 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00144 (Medium).jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 461
  • IMG00145 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00145 (Medium).jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 478
  • IMG00155 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00155 (Medium).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 482
Pics were taken with my BlackBerry...hence the so-so resolution.

A lot of these rounds need to be cut to size. Some are probably a good 30"+ in length. I'm not sure how much wood this is...but once cut and split, should be a good haul.

Attachments

• IMG00156 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00156 (Medium).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 476
  • IMG00157 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00157 (Medium).jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 480
  • IMG00158 (Medium).jpg
    IMG00158 (Medium).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 472
A trailer sure would make your life eazier

Alright, I'll bite.
What's entailed in burning pine? Is there a longer season time? Or... I'll take the lecture if you've got another one in ya.

rsgBJJfighter said:
Alright, I'll bite.
What's entailed in burning pine? Is there a longer season time? Or... I'll take the lecture if you've got another one in ya.

It's basically an old wives' tale that the resin in pine creates more creosote when you burn it, thus it should only be burned outdoors. However, creosote is really a function of the moisture content in a given piece of wood (and can be exacerbated by burning cooler, smoldering fires). I burned over a cord of white pine last year with zero creosote problems as a result. A fresh split of the pine tested out between 18-22% moisture content - perfect for today's EPA certified stoves.

nothing - season it and it burns

it burns hot and fast and does not coal like hardwood

Skier, you really need to buy another trailer or get a truck! :cheese:

cut off the top of the Jeep and throw a bedliner and side racks on it. Or, if you are going to be headed west anytime soon, I can get you a great deal on a trailer my recently passed father in law made out of a datsun pickup. Sorry, the one he made out of the Model A is mine.

I have a 4x8 trailer that's up in VT. Murphy has told me no matter what I have, it'll be where I don't need it. I've done three scrounges sans my trailer. This weekend, I was doing a tuneup on my Jeep. Guess where my long ratchet extension is? Yep, up in VT. I needed torx bits a few weeks ago...yep, up in VT. I know the second I bring that trailer to CT, the scroungortunity of a lifetime will present itself to me...up in VT.

Maybe I just need another trailer. Way cheaper than buying a truck.

One of the drawbacks of the second property. My father in laws trailer built on the Model A chassis is going to the camp. It has great ground clearance which will keep me from beating up the dump trailer in the woods. If nothing else, it saves a lot of towing miles.

Skier, why are you getting that awful stuff? You know what happens when you burn pine! You need to find some other wood and just drop that pine somewhere else....like in my back yard. lol

I was talking with my wife's Uncle this weekend and he has the same problem. He said he ended up just getting a second of a few things and never had to worry about where things were.

Skier, why are you getting that awful stuff? You know what happens when you burn pine! You need to find some other wood and just drop that pine somewhere else....like in my back yard. lol

LOL! There's a ton of pine around here. The myth that you can't burn it has been very good to me.

Backwoods Savage said:
I wish you guys could convince my wife to let me get pine! Got into an arguement over this; she's insistant that pine will stay in the firepit...or out of the yard completly. I too first believed the crap about it being bad, but having been properly educated here, I would burn it during shoulder season. Save the hardwood for the colder months.

heatit said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I wish you guys could convince my wife to let me get pine! Got into an arguement over this; she's insistant that pine will stay in the firepit...or out of the yard completly. I too first believed the crap about it being bad, but having been properly educated here, I would burn it during shoulder season. Save the hardwood for the colder months.

Tell her you know someone on the hearth site that burns almost nothing but pine (me) and I had a whopping cup of crud when I swept the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.