I will NOT be storing my wood in the basement next year!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spiders THRIVE in moist basements.

One of the oil burner techs won't go into my cellar unless I take all the cobwebs down first.
What a wimp. Now my plumber friend thinks that's really funny, but he won't go into my well cavern because there was a ring neck snake hanging out by the door.

leaf4952 said:
Good ! I do not know how long you've been in your house....one doesnt always kow what surprises the prior owner has left such a loose or leaky dryer venting line or even worse...a dryer vented to the basement or crawl space and not to the outside ! That can cause alot of dampness. Also dryer lines should be made of metal because mice can qiuckly eat holes in a plastic one...besides the fire saeftly reasons.
Sorry, my attenpt at sarcasm didn't come through well... I'm really not the one who needs to answer where their dryer is vented to...

billb3 said:
Spiders THRIVE in moist basements.

One of the oil burner techs won't go into my cellar unless I take all the cobwebs down first.
What a wimp. Now my plumber friend thinks that's really funny, but he won't go into my well cavern because there was a ring neck snake hanging out by the door.

We have a very damp basement at times, mostly in the spring and fall, and if it rains alot in the summer. We can always tell when there is water down there because we see more spiders in the house.

Hey, that's country living for you.

It's been a pretty humid few monthes. Not a lot or precipitation, just fairly humid. Now that the snow is starting though, it's going to start drying out. I haven't even had any nose bleeds yet!

The upstairs is starting to show signs of improvement, but I still have the dehumidifiers running and will keep both running until it starts getting too dry in the house. I'm still planning on keeping the wood outside the house next year. I need the room in the basement and it would be nice to build something big enough outside to store some of my other stuff underneath.

Well yea, I guess it sounds pretty funny. But some people buy a house without knowing exactly where things are vented to and what is inside the walls until they are already living in it trying to do stuff. It's nothing to be ashamed of for the buyer. It's the kind of thing some people assume will be corrected later(sellers point of view). And some poeple RENT and can't be super nosy before signing the dotted line. You'd be amazed at the funky illegal or unethical stuff I've uncovered either working in demolition of buildings for renovation OR when asking the right questions when previewing a rental. It's amazing what some idiots rigg-up out of sight. It's frightening actually - safety wise.

I move my wood into the basement after a few frosts kill off the bugs. It beats going outside for wood; plus it dries quicker. I run the DE-humidifier for 24 hours every other day. Works great for me.

NorthlandMN said:
I run the humidifier for 24 hours every other day. Works great for me.
Hmmm... you don't get too much humidity from the wood? You have to add even more? Where does it all go?

We're men. It's what we do. You should hear the nicknames we call each other at work.

NorthlandMN said:
I move my wood into the basement after a few frosts kill off the bugs. It beats going outside for wood; plus it dries quicker. I run the DE-humidifier for 24 hours every other day. Works great for me.
This just in: Freezing temperatures don't kill bugs.

USDA has specifications for heat treatment to kill bugs. Some guys try to pass that off as kiln dried.

Yah, no firewood inside my house...ever. Not because of the fire risk, but I never trust that the bugs have died until after christmas. Also, I have a covered patio that I store 1/4-1/2 cord on for the stove. The wood pile is 100 yd away.

carl spackler said:
Yah, no firewood inside my house...ever. Not because of the fire risk, but I never trust that the bugs have died until after christmas. Also, I have a covered patio that I store 1/4-1/2 cord on for the stove. The wood pile is 100 yd away.

But there's a lot of BTU's in bugs.... :coolgrin:

(I bring about 3 days supply in at a time, main wood shed is about 8' from the garage, old wood shed and reserve stacks are further away...)

Gooserider

carl spackler said:

I will apoligize for what I'm about to say up front because I don't mean to offend you in particular but I will likely offend somebody, . . .
I can't imagine what kind of bugs in Lincoln, RI could be so offensive or detrimental to your household or health that you would be so worried ! Does your neighborhood have a history of termites, carpenter ants or some other wood destroying insects you can easily determine by a free yearly inspection by your local franchised pesticde company ?
I lived in the Boston area for 20yrs (your neighbor). The only bugs my last 10 yr long landlady (aged 82 & the owner of this 100yr old building her whole life) had to worry about was a brief encounter with termites & carpenter ants. Her typical challenge was mice traps in the basement and raccoons in her backyard vineyard & fruit trees. It ended up that her biggest struggle came a year before she died when she rented one flat to a family from a 3rd world country. Suddenly the building became infested with cock roaches....no problem...that can be fixed ! But then there was another plague...the mystery bug...turned out to be BED BUGS eminating from the new tenants apartment ! It took a full year to diagnose, carry out termination, and fully treat the problem. I had to get SUPER PRO ACTIVE to diagnose & start legal action to fix it (my landlady died meanwhile) I had my kids sent home from school due to the multitude of bites that were visable! I still have- to this day- visable scars from bed bug bites on my forearms. No matter what apartment building/house I could have moved to - that plague was on the upswing city-wide and I was not gonna even consider the possibility of dealing with the trauma of it for my children EVER again ! So I moved to the woods of PA. It was a pretty good reason to move from Boston.
I have to ask what kind of bugs are you worried about ? Do they hide in your walls and creep out at night to attach to the skin of your loved ones to suck & gorge on their blood then retreat into your walls just to come out and do it again the next nite like vampires ? If this isn't the case I don't know what the heck you're so complaining about. Go to Home Depot and buy a bottle of your average insect spray. And don't worry, be happy.

A lot of the Poplar I cull have huge infestations of carpenter ants. By seasoning my wood outside, they have pretty much vacated long before the wood comes in the house. They don't like dry places.

We don't have termites in this area. Termites don't run around in hot dry places anyway. Their bodies can't take it. They build closed raceways to travel in so unless you store large quantities of wet wood in a damp basement, they probably are not much of a threat.

I have never seen any insect come out of any firewood I brought in from the woodshed. Maybe I'm just lucky.

^That pretty much my experience too. We only bring seasoned wood in the house, maybe a few hibernating flys but no bugs.

WonderingWoman said:
I've never heard of a dehumidifier. Where do you get one and how much do they cost?

Commonly called an air conditioner. Make air cold, the relative humidity of the air increases to 100%, water condenses out (that's the condensate that's always dripping out of air conditioners...whether in a building or your car). Air comes out colder and dryer than it went in...too cold? Heat it back up, it'll have an even lower relative humidity. There are cars that sense the outside air conditions, and when you turn on the heater, the air conditioner comes on, dehumidifies the air, the heater comes on and heats the air, then that's the air delivered to you inside the car. Warm and dry. Rick

Dehumidifiers and air conditioners work off similar principles, but are not designed for the same purpose. An air conditioner has a much higher rating (do they rate these in BTU's also?) that allow them to super cool the air. Dehumidifiers have a much lower rating which simply allows for them to pull the air through a coil, which condenses the humidity and then catches that water in a container for disposal.

Wonderingwoman - don't be mislead dehumidifiers are NOT commonly called air conditioners in most areas. While AC units do dehumidify the air humidifiers do not air condition / go to one of your area appliance stores, sears or hardware store and ask if they carry them. We run 2 in our basement during the summer to dry out the air to prevent that moisture from causing damage to the house and to help take the load off the AC by reducing the moisture it has to remove.

Beware that dehumidifiers consume considerable energy so read the specs before you buy one and expect an increase in your electric bill. A HRV uses considerably less electricity and will remove as much or more humidity in the winter. Summertime is a different matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.