I won an auction..now I am here

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice home. If walls could talk, I bet that home would have a lot to say. I hope the addition of the pellet stove will be a positive experience and save you a lot of money. We love the comfort of the pellet stove. We are much warmer which also means that we are using more BTU's than we did when we only burned oil. I don't know what is ahead of us for heating options. We started out Electric, within a few months reality set in and we went to burning wood for many years. Then we went to oil. After the second oil crisis, we went to pellets, now on year 4. I'm mostly retired, kids have left home, so I've plenty of time to tend to the stove, and to try to stay current with this forum. I found that if you keep to the limits of the stove's manual, you will do fine. Hope you will post again once the weather is cold and you have had a chance to use the stove.

Now that it is light out

75deb01b.jpg

Kiver said:
I still have some touching up to do on the hearth, but it is going to rain the next couple days and I cut the marble outside. I also have to stain and poly some oak trim I got for the bottom

c83b9d98.jpg
i just read another thread where a member may have a fried control board. not sure of the exact specifics there. but a surge protector is recommended by just about every one here.|
tripp lite seems to be one of the best out there. but a quick search will turn up lots of threads about your options.

this one is generally approved by experienced folks here
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-UL...Direct-plug/dp/B00006B81D/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
though it is $.12 below the $25 mark which gets free shipping. so perhaps include it with another item you may be purchasing to get the free shipping.
i got the isobar ultra 4 which was $15 more.
i don't even have my stove yet. and am a total newbie. but from what i can tell, a surge proctector is a must.

Thank you everyone for getting me through all this. I have been reading a ton here and I am learning a ton here. Now to seek out some pellets

St_Earl said:
i just read another thread where a member may have a fried control board. not sure of the exact specifics there. but a surge protector is recommended by just about every one here.|
tripp lite seems to be one of the best out there. but a quick search will turn up lots of threads about your options.

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-UL...Direct-plug/dp/B00006B81D/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b
though it is $.12 below the $25 mark which gets free shipping. i notice the white model of the same thing is just over $25. and seems to be the same thing.
i got the isobar ultra 4 which was $15 more.
i don't even have my stove yet. and am a total newbie. but from what i can tell, a surge proctector is a must.

Ordering it NOW

Thanks

Kiver said:
Ordering it NOW

Thanks

i went for this one. possibly a little overkill
http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-ISOBAR4ULTRA-4-Outlet-Protector/dp/B0000513O4/ref=pd_cp_e_3

i have been running my computer and tv etc for years w/o surge proctectors. didn't even consider the need until i learned more about it here.
better safe than sorry.
i even ordered one of their little single plug models for our new washing machine. (as it has an electronic brain even though it is a real basic model).
lol never owned a new washing machine before. it's pretty cool .

St_Earl said:

though it is $.12 below the $25 mark which gets free shipping. so perhaps include it with another item you may be purchasing to get the free shipping.

Exactly what I did! I also ordered the Linteater set. Should arrive today!
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014CN8Y8

smoke show said:
Curious as to what your EVL equals?

And if the vent is 4".

4" pipe at just over 20 feet. Excellent air flow

I'm curious, would it be possible for him to attach the leaf blower vac to the bottom of that outside T? That long length of outside pipe may cool easily and allow for a lot of soot to accumulate on the inside of the pipe. Just thinking if he hooked the leaf blower vac up after every ton, he might not have to go up on the roof but once a year. Other opinions???

save$ said:
I'm curious, would it be possible for him to attach the leaf blower vac to the bottom of that outside T? That long length of outside pipe may cool easily and allow for a lot of soot to accumulate on the inside of the pipe. Just thinking if he hooked the leaf blower vac up after every ton, he might not have to go up on the roof but once a year. Other opinions???

Wait..I have to go on the roof to clean it. Cant I just sweep from the bottom. I don't do well with ladders since falling off a roof in 98

ah. i've been meaning to ask that question too.
i will have just an 8 foot rise. but that still leaves me with rigging up a way to brace the pipe if i use the leaf blower at the top.

since the leaf blower trick is a seasonal task,( some do it every ton it seems) does anyone just disconnect their vertical pipe and use the leaf blower on the horizontal pass through pipe?

and kiver. as far as i have seen,( remember, i have never done any of this stuff myself yet) you can clean the pipe from the ground level. i actually saw a vid of a guy who connected flex brush rods to a cordless drill to get a nice scrubbing action with the brush.
he just repeated the process several times, pulling the brush out each time.

i'm *guessing* the best way to do the leaf blower trick on a long external run like yours or even mine, would be to simply disconnect at the tee.

it sounds like you may not have seen the leaf blower trick yet.
it's done after a thorough and complete cleaning and is meant to get the stuff that is basically impossible to get by conventional methods.
just use the search function if you haven't. there are several details you need to know including a vacuum line that needs to be disconnected in the stove before applying the reverse suction of the high speed electric leaf blower.

so. i've been a little wordy as usual.
my main question to everyone remains about the advisability of disconnecting the vertical stack to apply the leaf blower at the pass through point.

You don't have to go onto the roof.

Theres a number of ways to clean your vent.

Your evl has to be more than 20, not that it matters cause you used 4".

smoke show said:
Your evl has to be more than 20, not that it matters cause you used 4".

I'll get a more accurate EVL when I get home. I estimated 20 feet as from floor to ceiling is 8.5 feet

22 feet top to bottom

I used to clean the metal bestos chimney to my wood stove from the bottom by pushing a brush up and just kept adding on extensions. But I didn't have any bends in my chimney. Not sure if a there is a flexible system to push up through those bends.
I would go back to whoever installed this system and ask them how this installation should be kept clean.
In the meantime, go to youtube and look up leaf blower vac cleaning a pellet stove.

Kiver said:
I still have some touching up to do on the hearth, but it is going to rain the next couple days and I cut the marble outside. I also have to stain and poly some oak trim I got for the bottom

Wow Excellent install inside and out!! The install crew really knew what they were doing!!

Congrats and good Luck

Attachments

• AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    AvalonAstoriaAtNightsc.jpg
    7.1 KB · Views: 103
Status
Not open for further replies.