Ice storm wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Hardwoods

Dec 29, 2012
Central Michigan (Fenton)
Did anyone else get hit hard by this ice storm? I have been doing some cleanup work for friends and family with some nice pickings. A little oak, white birch, and black locust. I have never worked with locust before and wondering how it splits and seasons.

Just rain here in Jerz. Locust splits very easy. 24 months dry burns great long and hot. Enjoy.

For sure south of us got hit much harder than we did. We were only out of power for about 6 hours. But if we get a big wind, that could really be disasterous. It sounds like many thousands are still out of power. We just heard that the entire town of Owosso still is without and it may be Friday before it is restored. This was a nasty storm for sure.

Passed north of us, got the north half of VT and NH, and into central Maine. We were mid 30's and wet, and at 34 now; expect to be low single digits tomorrow night.

Locust usually splits easily and it is a great burning wood. One thing I would watch for is sometimes black locust seems to pop and spark a bit when you open your wood stove door. Also, sometimes they have some wicked nasty thorns.

We got it good here. I've got trees and limbs down all over the place. We had no power for 6 days. Unfortunately most of the downed trees are pine.

Slid past me to the NW and evidently I dodged a bullet. Lansing - or much of it - is not scheduled to be back online until the 28th. In Williamston many are out of power and they were using plows to move limbs off the roads. Lots of wood out there for the picking if you are ambitious right now.

I just spoke with a couple guys from DTE at the corner store and they said it was way worse west and north of me.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Did anyone else get hit hard by this ice storm? I have been doing some cleanup work for friends and family with some nice pickings. A little oak, white birch, and black locust. I have never worked with locust before and wondering how it splits and seasons.

Locust splits OK, there's easier there's worse. Just did a cord + w/ an x25. Some people seem to think it seasons quicky. More along the lines of oak. It's drier than oak to start but denser. I really like it the way it burns mixed with other wood. Alone it can be hard to start and no matter what I always found it needs its air.

About two hours north of gr here. Haven't lost power since last winter some time. Getting pounded with snow though.

Status
Not open for further replies.