ID an old stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

CoachMurph

May 1, 2021
Arkansas
Picked this up at an Estate Sale yesterday for $15. Pretty complete other than missing one back leg and another that is broken. Maybe missing something on top. Sellers were thinking early 1900’s. Found some info on manufacturer (P&B-Nashville, TN), but can’t find any that say JAP OAK on them. Just like to find out all I can!

Thanks,
Murph
5734C31A-B90F-40F3-9238-46EB2B10BEB7.jpeg7C5F8273-1EA9-4D09-9121-C102D05F16F8.jpeg

Reactions: CoachMurph
That's a interesting looking stove---why did they not use windows for these stoves instead of all metal so that they could see the flame...When was glass invented anyway--anybody know....Nice different stove coachmurph and hope you can fix it up if that's what you want to do...Thanks for posting....Gee begreen you sure know a lot about different types of stoves...I like all those bears,,,clancey

That's a interesting looking stove---why did they not use windows for these stoves instead of all metal so that they could see the flame...When was glass invented anyway--anybody know....Nice different stove coachmurph and hope you can fix it up if that's what you want to do...Thanks for posting....Gee begreen you sure know a lot about different types of stoves...I like all those bears,,,clancey
Thanks Clancey! I plan to fix it up to some extent and then decide what to do with it. I sure like it. Lot prettier than the old brown square one I put in my shop!

At that point the only thing they had that would hold up was mica sheets. The glass in today's stoves isn't glass it is ceramic.

I think the ceramic "glass" we are familiar with came from research from the space shuttle program.

That's neat they had a shuttle rocket come down --I believe--at 3am in the Gulf of Mexico tonight and have not listened to the news to hear if they made the landing okay with the four people inside.. Better than a rocket stove but Rocket Science..lol thanks clancey

It looks like there was a decorative top or pivoting trivet top at one point.
The air feed and grate system are clues to what it was designed to burn. If it has a riddling or sifting grate then it was designed for coal. A coal stove will also have the primary air feed under the grate to feed air to the bottom of the coal bed. If this stove has a simple, fixed slatted grate then it may have been set up for wood.

I'm taking a guess here, but the Jap name may refer to the stove finish. This stove looks like it may have had a black finish originally. Japanning was a popular metal finish in the late Victorian era circa 1900.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoachMurph