ID Please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CMAG

Sep 5, 2012
Long Island
[/ATTACH] wood 9 17 13 016.JPG wood 9 17 13 018.JPG wood 9 17 13 015.JPG
Thanks

No replies yet? The middle (split) pic looks like mulberry to me. I have a face cord I can't wait to burn this year. It will be my first time burning it.

Reactions: CMAG
Doesn't look like mulberry to me. Looks like a kind of Hickory. Wait for more responses.

Reactions: CMAG
Looks more like a Norway Maple to me.
Split like some Maple I have, wedge of splitter half an inch in and done clean and strait split at 40% moisture and fairly light weight

Doesn't look like norway to me.

Reactions: BillLion
Doesn't look like norway to me.

Comparing it to a recent pic of a Norway score (that I still have on my trailer) - I think you are correct. The end grain is not similar. The bark on the OP's first pic is pretty close to an adult norway, but now I am doubting that it is a Norway.
Norway Maplesm.JPG

now that right there is catalpa.....if not, I guess I'll have to eat my fiskars!

You could be on to something with those giant growth rings.

Looks like something very light weight.

Is it all the same tree? The split with the orange heartwood looks like Callery Pear to me.

If you saw or split a piece of that stuff and it has a peculiar sweet kind of chemical smell to it, if it's light weight stuff, if the leaves are really large....

well, I guarantee that's catalpa in those pics, it always leaves the rough look when I saw through it, it's not the best firewood, but it turns great bowls, and it's fairly rot resistant.

Status
Not open for further replies.