ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the ID guys!! Just called my scrounger and told him to go back. There are 3 of them on the ground.

Do I get any extra points for being the first to call chestnut oak? We should keep score. Maybe start a pool. Competitive tree ID, could be a new sport.

kestrel said:
Do I get any extra points for being the first to call chestnut oak? We should keep score. Maybe start a pool. Competitive tree ID, could be a new sport.

Nah...smoknjay would win. He's usually always the first one to reply to the "ID this" threads. Even though this time he was wrong.

jstellfox said:
Maybe you should just leave it to the professionals:)

Thats the fun part of trying to ID some of these examples. You could take two sticks of wood from the same tree and get 14 different answers on what it was. Even the pro's can have a tough time with using a couple of pics to ID a tree. If the person has all the elements available it gets easier, but that is rarely the case (leaves, twigs, bark, split, etc.)

kestrel said:

sounds like my kind of sport ;)

[quote "Just called my scrounger and told him to go back.[/quote]

I need one of those

sullystull said:
[quote "Just called my scrounger and told him to go back.

I need one of those[/quote]

haha, yeah, i thought the same thing. man, this guy has his own scrounger!!

The last couple sets of pics sure look like Chestnut Oak, but I think the very first picture is Pitch Pine. either one is fine with me, pine for next year, oak in a couple of years.

I'm kinda like a wood burner without a wood hauler except I'm vision impaired so no driving for me. What I did was talked to a landscaper one day and asked him if he ever comes across any wood. He said yeah so I signed him up and he drops off a load or 2 every week.

Adios Pantalones said:
I keep hearing people say that certain oaks smell like cat pee- including red oak. I never got that- it always smelled like steak sauce or something to me.

What do you guys feed your cats?

Steak sauce.

get it? LOL.....I know, it's a bad one!

Status
Not open for further replies.