ID these 2 pieces of wood.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slacker

Jan 5, 2016
NE Tennessee
IMG_0848.JPG IMG_0849.JPG IMG_0850.JPG IMG_0851.JPG
I've got some guys that drop me off a truck load of unsplit wood from time to time. I'm not sure about these two pieces. Any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tulip poplar on the top and maybe sugar maple on the split piece with the little brown streak running through it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

1000% sure top is tulip poplar.

75% some type of hickory on bottom

Tulip Poplar definitely for the top. Looks like about a 4-5" split round piece of mystery wood below that. Woodstove fodder non-the-less.

Silver Maple and Tulip Poplar.

Never cut or burned Tulip so the first one is unknown to me. The second one has the yellow heartwood of mulberry, but the sap ring is too small and the bark is deff not a match. I'd have to go with a hickory without more pics.

For some unknown reason the order of the pictures have been changed / edited...FYI's....Tulip poplar now on the bottom and or the last picture.

LOL. Now that makes sense. I thought the first one looked like a hickory, but since everyone was dead set on tulip (based on the pic order) I thought it must be so. Thought the second could be an odd hickory. Never seen any tulip. Does it always have that yellow interior?

Reactions: TedyOH
Yes it does, trees in my area anyways... very colorful....ive seen blues and purples as well....I have a mill for my chainsaw, going to mill a few boards once it cools down.

Reactions: FaithfulWoodsman
For some unknown reason the order of the pictures have been changed / edited...FYI's....Tulip poplar now on the bottom and or the last picture.
In Firefox, the pics are displaying all in one row, left to right. First two are what I'm guessing is Silver Maple (or possibly Sugar, hard to tell with a lot of the flaky bark broken off.) Pic 3 and 4...classic Tulip bark and split appearance. I've gotten fooled more than once by the bark on Tulip, thinking it was White Ash.
Never seen any tulip. Does it always have that yellow interior?
We are not that far from each other...hard to believe you haven't seen Tulip over there yet. Yep, yellow center and often some blue or purple, like Tedy said.

We are not that far from each other...hard to believe you haven't seen Tulip over there yet. Yep, yellow center and often some blue or purple, like Tedy said.
Well I know there around. Burned about every tree in our area at one point or another, just doesn't seem like there's many in my local area. I know what the leaves look like and have kept an eye when in the bush, but never found one. At least I know what to look for now. This site never fails to educate.

At least I know what to look for now.
With the other woods we have available, I just split any Tulip I get into kindling or fire-pit wood. I prefer using soft Maple or Black Cherry splits for shoulder wood since they burn longer and coal better than Tulip.

Right. I meant that in more of the sense of avoiding it as I've always heard it's one of the lesser soft woods. More ash around me than will be able to burn before it goes to rot.

Status
Not open for further replies.