ID?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nola mike

Minister of Fire
Sep 13, 2010
Richmond/Montross, Virginia
Any ideas? It's extremely tough to split, hard and stringy.

Attachments

• IMG00062-20110217-1547.jpg
    IMG00062-20110217-1547.jpg
    244.7 KB · Views: 389
I was going to say sweet gum - and there is definitely plenty of that in richmond.

but your bark and wood actually looks like of like some kind of pine to me.

FLINT said:
I was going to say sweet gum - and there is definitely plenty of that in richmond.

but your bark and wood actually looks like of like some kind of pine to me.
Actually, I was going to say gum as well. I don't think it's pine. Is gum that tough to split? Also, very hard to find rings on the ends.

yeah, I looked again and thought it looked less like pine.

wood looks like sweet gum - very tough to split, even tougher after its dried for a bit.

your bark looks extra chunky though for sweet gum - but the wood is very white just like in your picture.

It is not sweet gum for sure. It looks a whole lot like Eastern White Pine, but that should be easy to split.

Looks like a bigger white pine to me..

Ray

Well, these are 7" rounds, if that helps. Not big. I just split a bunch of pine a couple of months ago. Don't know the specific variety, but they're nothing alike. Aside from being much easier to split, the pine has a coarse grain. Mystery wood does not; in fact, it's almost indiscernible. Pic shows pine on the bottom.

Attachments

• IMG00063-20110218-1109.jpg
    IMG00063-20110218-1109.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 234
if the piece is knotty, white pine can be VERY hard to split. like horrible and you want to just chuck it in the woods. I've pounded and pounded on white pine before - its kind of like hemlock in that the knots are like iron, and you cannot split through them - the whole piece will just break off sideways first.

FLINT said:
if the piece is knotty, white pine can be VERY hard to split. like horrible and you want to just chuck it in the woods. I've pounded and pounded on white pine before - its kind of like hemlock in that the knots are like iron, and you cannot split through them - the whole piece will just break off sideways first.

haha, i'm going back to my original thought now - I think it is white pine.

I almost never resort to noodling, but I've noodled more difficult to split knotty pine than anything else. The straight grained pine is candy for the fiskars.

nola mike said:
Well, these are 7" rounds, if that helps. Not big. I just split a bunch of pine a couple of months ago. Don't know the specific variety, but they're nothing alike. Aside from being much easier to split, the pine has a coarse grain. Mystery wood does not; in fact, it's almost indiscernible. Pic shows pine on the bottom.

Your "couple of months ago pine" was probably some form of southern yellow pine, possibly virginia pine. It's grain is more uneven than white pine. It's wood is somewhat darker than that of white pine. Your pics seem to confirm that.

Status
Not open for further replies.