Idea: Wood stack compartmentalization

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
I've got a line of wood stacked along a wall inside my garage. I've never used it all in one season, so it winds up that there's unused stuff towards the bottom that sticks around year after year, unless I take pains to rearrange.

I'm going to put in vertical separator boards, so that I can get to the bottom of a 'bin'.

Elementary to you, probably, but it just dawned on my slow moving brain.

Better late than never that you figured it out, we've all been there!!

I've got a line of wood stacked along a wall inside my garage. I've never used it all in one season, so it winds up that there's unused stuff towards the bottom that sticks around year after year, unless I take pains to rearrange.

I'm going to put in vertical separator boards, so that I can get to the bottom of a 'bin'.

I'am doing the same thing with the wood shed this year for the same reason, its only been 20 years.

bob

How big are you going to make each compartment? I'm going to be doing something similar too here shortly just am unsure about how big each one should be.

Lopi Rockport

How big are you going to make each compartment? I'm going to be doing something similar too here shortly just am unsure about how big each one should be.

Lopi Rockport

I'm not sure yet, but why not make them pretty short? It wouldn't cost that much, I'd say. Maybe take some of the stress off. I was thinking of having the ability to slide them out, but not sure why, lol.

While built in bays will be best, stacking a wall of criss-cross splits every 4 or 8' works fairly well to hold up the next section of stacked splits.
While this is true, to a point on your normal 4-5' high stack, this is in my garage, (next to a car!), and goes all the way to the 8' ceiling! It's already a disaster in waiting, lol, but the wood is nice and dry and I make sure things are tight against the wall periodically.

IMG_0238.JPG I just thought I'd share one of our compartmentalized wood stacks. We have another mirror image and a few spots around the sides of the house. We have a small lot in a suburban city and a good bit of shade on it. This helps bake the wood against the brick and keeps it under cover. We put the vertical dividers to be able to stack higher around the windows, but we do love being able to empty an area and then refill it with new wood while we work on another.

Nice! You're stacking around windows which is almost as bad as me and my car! Although your dividers should prevent any wood/glass interaction.

It should be nice to get all the way to the bottom of a section. Just have to keep track of the vintages of the sections.

We do it with what locally is called an Indian stack. You rotate each layer 90 degrees vertically when ever you want a start / stop.
IMG_1779_2.jpg

we did this on our back porch. the tough part was convincing the nanny that they had to walk all the way to the end unit to get wood :)
20161019_172456.jpg

Reactions: Jazzberry
haha leather gloves with holes in the fingers. I need to update my gizmo to include that.

What a good idea. Sorry I had not thought of this before.

I would also get it up off the floor on pallets or the like, even if inside.

This was the first winter in a long time I have done some without, in my basement. I usually move it in on pallets & park it, but last year I decided I wanted some of those pallets back outside to stack more wood on for the coming winter(s), so I unloaded some of them right onto the basement floor. Later this winter, I am pretty sure I noticed that the wood I was burning, that had been at or near the bottom of those places without pallets underneath, wasn't burning near as good as it should have been. My meter batteries are dead so I didn't bother trying to check mc, but I don't think I will be stacking right on the concrete basement floor any more. Even though the basement is dry. A garage might not be as bad though, I suppose.