Ideas for Raised Insert Install in a Pre-Fab Heatilator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I've specifically asked HHT about the wording in the fireplace manual whether or not "altering the fireplace" includes installing a fireplace insert and whether that means installing an insert would "disregard instructions for the fireplace".
And what was their answer. I have asked that question of many fireplace manufacturers and have either gotten the answer that you cant do it or the answer that you have to follow the instructions. Btw I am not against doing this if both manufacturers agree it is ok and you have had a level 3 inspection on the fireplace to make sure it is installed correctly and is in good condition.

By the way, I forgot to mention, my fireplace has a UL plate on the inside which has a line that reads: "Do not use a stove insert or other products unless specified for use with this product". Seems like a strange message if no stove inserts are to be used in the fireplace. I take that as meaning this fireplace yields to instruction and proper installation of a UL listed insert. I'll let HHT and my local building code office make that determination.
Can you post a picture of that because it seems to be in conflict with the instructions. It would not be the first time I have seen a company contradict themselves but I am curious. And have you located a list of the specified products for that unit?

Also your local code office has no liability unless they see the issue and give you an exemption for it. They can and do miss stuff and are not held liable at all. The same goes for HHT unless they give you that written authorization they have no liability.

So it is ok to disregard code as long as a random sampling of firefighters haven't been on a call caused by that violation? I bet most firefighters have not been on calls concerning slammers either other than chimney fires does that make them ok to?
I have never heard an actual safety issue or failure reported here. That's why I ask. Surely after a dozen years one would surface.
The OP has the fireplace mfg.'s and dealer's blessings. Enough. You've made your point many times before, time to move on.

Enough. You've made your point many times before, time to move on.
So now because you don't think a very real and applicable code applies in this situation I have to move on and let you give the op advice that clearly contradicts code? As pro even here if I was to give advice contradicting code I could be held liable for that so I will go on the side of code again and again regardless of whether or not there is evidence of a safety issue. And the op has not said that he has the fireplace manufacturers blessing he just said he got the same response both you and I got which does not allow anyone to disregard the fireplaces instructions at all. If he actually has gotten that authorization then yes it is absolutely fine to do it but honestly I have yet to see any manufacturer authorize it on a unit who's instructions clearly don't allow for it.

I'm saying, enough.

Has there been a case with this type of insert installation where you got a call (chimney fires excluded)?

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?430422-My-house-caught-on-fire!-I-need-help!

Me personally no. We did have a recent chimney fire. We usually have camp fires up here, not muth structure fires unless the woods are on fire.

I may have misunderstood but it sounded to me like you want to burn wood in a stove like device near combustibles.

Sorry I am so late to respond I had training today then a local house had a pancake dinner.

20170225_095316.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Does anyone know some clean looking ways to add a surround which doesn't block the louvers? I assume the trimmable surround could be used, but it doesn't look as nice.

Last, when is the best time to buy? Are there better deals at the end of winter or is summer a better time? I'd like to see if the tax credit get's extended to 2017.

See the pictures of the fireplace attached.

Thanks.

I am sorry I just dont understand what you mean surround.

You need to keep the louvers?

What do you need to make the area below larger?

I dont know what the stove makers suggest you use but if there is a flat option you could trim it to fit the current surround area then cut holes for the louvers.

my first reply to you i just dont understand why or how much you need to modify the surround and why you need to keep the louvers:

you could attach heater outlet vent covers to a new surround maybe? Might have to strip them and apply heat resist paint.

Could you extend the brick all the way down to the top of yhe new insert leaving holes around louvres.

I've found a few good candidates to fill my Heatilator HB42.

Thanks.

Is this just a typo? Why fill the hb42, why not discard it all together?

Code aside, wouldn't an insert improve insulation and be safer for the original firebox? I thought part of the point is that the heat doesn't all radiate back into the chimney brick.

Why put a firebox in a firebox.

http://hvac-talk.com/vbb/showthread.php?430422-My-house-caught-on-fire!-I-need-help!

Me personally no. We did have a recent chimney fire. We usually have camp fires up here, not muth structure fires unless the woods are on fire.

I may have misunderstood but it sounded to me like you want to burn wood in a stove like device near combustibles.

Sorry I am so late to respond I had training today then a local house had a pancake dinner.

View attachment 195287
Yes, it seems that you have misunderstood. There is no correlation between the OP's setup and the posting from the hvac forum link. The linked post had a hazardous and illegal setup with an insert placed directly into a hole cut into the wall with a wooden chase surrounding it. For sure that is incredibly dangerous. It's quite different from installing an insert into a zc fireplace with the manufacturer's blessing.
Why put a firebox in a firebox.
I'm wondering if you are getting confused by terms here. The HB42 is a zero clearance fireplace. Replacing it with a more efficient EPA ZC fireplace could cost $10K or more, putting an insert in would cost less than half that amount. Putting an insert (firebox) in a fireplace firebox is done all the time when an insert is put in a fireplace, masonry or zero clearance. Usually it's done to increase efficiency and heat output and to reduce emissions.

Last edited: