IDENTIFICATION

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

wlh36351

Dec 29, 2022
ALABAMA
I need help identifying this wood burning insert .

Please see attached picture. I can find no markings or name anywhere.

Thanks in advance. If this has been covered, please accept my apoligies.

wood burning insert.jpg

I need help identifying this wood burning insert .

Please see attached picture. I can find no markings or name anywhere.

Thanks in advance. If this has been covered, please accept my apoligies.

View attachment 306454
It's probably just a locally made insert from the 70s or early 80s. Is there a liner hooked to it running out the top of the chimney?

Yes and the boxes on sides have fans inside
Yeah I knew those were fans. It's a pretty common setup for that time. What are you looking to find out about it

parts or manual.

Or, maybe instructions how to use it or a similar model.
You aren't going to find parts. Other than firebrick. You can probably find fans that will work by cross-referenceing the model number on the motor itself

Belonged to my dad, and I inherited the house.

We gathered various types of oak wood in the summer, and burned it in the winter.

I am not exactly a connoisseur, but I understand the process.

Am trying to find info for my son who was not exposed to burning wood for heat when growing up.

My first step was trying to find a chimney inspector/sweeper, even though we never had a chimney inspected when I was growing up.

So far, none of the ones I have called have called me back. We live in south Alabama, which is part of the problem.

Belonged to my dad, and I inherited the house.

We gathered various types of oak wood in the summer, and burned it in the winter.

I am not exactly a connoisseur, but I understand the process.

Am trying to find info for my son who was not exposed to burning wood for heat when growing up.

My first step was trying to find a chimney inspector/sweeper, even though we never had a chimney inspected when I was growing up.

So far, none of the ones I have called have called me back. We live in south Alabama, which is part of the problem.
Are you sure there is a stainless liner hooked to the stove and running to the top of the chimney? When stoves like this we're installed it was common practice to just slide the stove into the fireplace with no connection. We quickly found that installs like that were not safe and they are no longer legal.

Are you sure there is a stainless liner hooked to the stove and running to the top of the chimney? When stoves like this we're installed it was common practice to just slide the stove into the fireplace with no connection. We quickly found that installs like that were not safe and they are no longer legal.
Not sure about the liner. It was built from the ground up, and not just slid in an existing fireplace. I am pretty confident that it has a liner, but am trying to find out now. I know the son of the man who installed it and am looking him up as well as calling for an inspection.

I have found it is a Dare IV mfg by Harrington mfg. It has name and date in raised lettering on back of one door.

No liner, just exhausting in chimney. Has been used like this for over 40 years. House and chimney still standing. Anyone have any experience with putting a flexable stainless steel liner down from the top of the chimney? We can fabricate an adapter for the top of the insert to fit the stainless steel pipe. Any advice appreciated.

I have found it is a Dare IV mfg by Harrington mfg. It has name and date in raised lettering on back of one door.

No liner, just exhausting in chimney. Has been used like this for over 40 years. House and chimney still standing. Anyone have any experience with putting a flexable stainless steel liner down from the top of the chimney? We can fabricate an adapter for the top of the insert to fit the stainless steel pipe. Any advice appreciated.
Yes I have lots of experience putting liners in. About 80 a year. What do you need to know? What size clay liner is in the chimney? What size is the stove outlet?

No clay liner, just brick. We will have to fabricate a pipe adapter. Is 6-inch flexible stainless pipe big enough?
If not, there may be room for 8 inch inside chimney.

I have been down this road in the past and wouldn't recommend it. The amount of money spent to buy the 8" liner plus the rectangle to round boot adapter and the time to drill and tap the screw holes just doesn't make it worth it.

But its your money, here is how to install the boot: https://www.rockfordchimneysupply.c...rectangle-to-round-stove-insert-adapter-boot/

If you go with a newer stove you can use 6" liner and save some money on that and burn cleaner.

Reactions: fbelec
No clay liner, just brick. We will have to fabricate a pipe adapter. Is 6-inch flexible stainless pipe big enough?
If not, there may be room for 8 inch inside chimney.
Chances are you will need an 8" liner for that stove. But you can determine that by measuring the outlet on the stove and matching it's volume. An off the shelf boot may work but we usually fabricate them out of stainless.

You will also need room for insulation on the liner as well

Thanks for your replies.

So, is it a violation of some codes to adapt an insulated stainless liner to this insert and use it?

It was built in 1980 and does not meet current standards.

Is it a violation to use it as it is? It was used over 40 years and got it's chimney swept the first time about a week ago.

So, is it a violation of some codes to adapt an insulated stainless liner to this insert and use it?
No it isn't at all.

Is it a violation to use it as it is? It was used over 40 years and got it's chimney swept the first time about a week ago.
Technically because it is an old install it doesn't need to meet modern code. But that code was put in place because it was found that installs like this are extremely dangerous. And yours is even worse because it doesn't even have a clay liner.

It is very unsafe and shouldn't be used

Installing a liner to it makes it safer in the sense that it should draft better and be easier to clean and should a fire happen in it, it will be contained. It won't make it create any less creosote if you damp it down and burn green wood or give you license to keep having chimney fires to clean it out like some of the ol timers did.

Just my 2cents that it is time to upgrade, some things are worth it.