Identify Wood Species

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

zaroot

Dec 30, 2013
Can someone help me identify this type of wood? Trunk base was approx. 30” diameter, in the Baltimore MD region. I am guessing some sort of oak, ash, or locust? Possible a Hickory? It was pretty tough on my chain when cutting. Slowing down an ms440 with a 24” Bar. Thanks!

https://i.imgur.com/3iEVpAP.jpg

Last edited:
EFEE61FE-8CB9-49D8-983F-BCF17B333D2C.jpeg

666203F9-EB90-4962-9802-B20AF49173EA.jpeg

Picture won’t open

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like locust to me

Looks like an oak variety to me. I don’t think I have ever seen a locust that big around my area. A couple of pics of some split wood would help immensely.

Looks like ash to me (regular furrows in bark). Wow, we're all over the place.

Reactions: hickoryhoarder
Looks like an oak variety to me. I don’t think I have ever seen a locust that big around my area. A couple of pics of some split wood would help immensely.

Just got it all unloaded, will split some pieces tomorrow and upload. Thanks to all suggestions

Looks like ash to me. Couldn't say for sure with the photo.

just hope it isn't elm!

Here are split chunks. Any insight? 4 responses with 4+ species suggestions
26887f6a7c2adc50720e727372bcfe9e.jpg

7c1f92285743b639dd800272e0524c85.jpg

432a831a69815a438892ee4d8651cc2c.jpg

I’ve burned poplar in the past, and these chunks were much denser, harder to split, and overall heavier to move around. Is tulip poplar the same as cottonwood?

I’ve burned poplar in the past, and these chunks were much denser, harder to split, and overall heavier to move around. Is tulip poplar the same as cottonwood?

Tulip poplar is not cottonwood, which some folks call poplar or even popple. If I could see where you hail from, I'd have a better sense of things.

Tulip poplar is a giant, ultra-fast growing member of the magnolia family that grows prolifically in the Mid-Atlantic region, and probably up and down the east coast, if not elsewhere. It is a very common first stage forest regrowth tree, designed by mother nature to grow quickly to the sky in poor soil, and then fall over to provide shade and nutrients to the later stage, slower growing hardwoods. Found often in places that were cleared out for farming in earlier times, but are now suburban neighborhoods or just abandoned from farming. Often found among other first stage species such as dogwood, sassafras, black birch.

That's ASH

Reactions: BenTN
d1c5622cb3b0a01ea509fe6fcdf8b2b8.jpg

a1086ea89da8ab4653d4d1bcbcb2577d.jpg

PITA to split, super burly with knots galore. I can agree with the Ash classification.

Thanks again to all!

That's how most of the ash is that I have, and I always cringe when people say it's the easiest splitting wood around.

Ya, Ash is easy when it is straight but still a pain like most hardwood when it is knotty. My first Ash was 22"x 40' perfectly straight rounds. There were zero uglies. I later got a bunch of ash logs from a tree service and was disappointed to find a few uglies that I couldn't split. Half of the splitting effort is just dependent on how straight and knot free the logs are, the other half is the wood type. Some wood types tend to grow straighter as well but that varies a lot on the location of the tree.

That's how most of the ash is that I have, and I always cringe when people say it's the easiest splitting wood around.
Amen to that!

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

I've never seen white ash with such large/wide/fast growth rings like that....probably Basswood....you will know when it's seasoned...probably will be pretty light

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Here is another photo I had of the wood, prior to splitting it

6db5c36c894746c93722335b169ef385.jpg

Im
I've never seen white ash with such large/wide/fast growth rings like that....probably Basswood....you will know when it's seasoned...probably will be pretty light

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
I'm with you Tedy. Those growth rings are big.

I'm not familiar with basswood, but tulip poplar in fertile soil near a good water source would look and behave exactly like pictured and described. Lots of tulip poplar in MD.

Reactions: TedyOH