Idle speed jacked up

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
My 028 was revving high and also idling really high. Knew it must be time to clean the filter out (something I generally do before there are symptoms)

Pulled the filter and it was horrible. I can't believe it got so bad. I cleaned it.

This completely fixed the high revs and seemed to RUN much better, but the high idle was still wayyyy out of norm. Think about something halfway between normal idle and full throttle.

So, grabbed my scrench and made some adjustments and got the idle back to where it should be. I musta made 3 or so turns on that screw.

Is a migrating screw a common problem? I'm just trying to figure out how and why it was so far out of whack. Everything is AOK now. BTW, this didn't happen slowly over time. My last session out I noticed it, and then again when I had the saw out to trim some splits down on Saturday (when I cleaned the filter, etc)

If you can get the screw all the way out add teflon tape to it. This will keep it from moving around on you.

Judging by how many turns you gave it, it must be the idle stop screw and not the L mixture screw. Fast idle could also be from lean mixture. I first adjust the H mixture so it burbles when not in the cut but smooths in the cut. I then adjust the low mixture by how well it transitions when the trigger is pulled. Only after that do I adjust the idle stop.

LLigetfa said:
Judging by how many turns you gave it, it must be the idle stop screw and not the L mixture screw. Fast idle could also be from lean mixture. I first adjust the H mixture so it burbles when not in the cut but smooths in the cut. I then adjust the low mixture by how well it transitions when the trigger is pulled. Only after that do I adjust the idle stop.
Yep, yer on it. It's not the H or L, but what I call the "idle speed screw" when I got it backed off everything appeared to be normal. I'm four stroking out of the cut and my transition is quick and smooth like before. Problem with what I was having is that there was no way that adjusting the L would have fixed anything because I was running so fast. I went at this screw first because i can hit it with the air cover on. I don't think i can reach the H and L without taking the cover off. I am just going to keep an eye on it and if it comes back out I'll put some Teflon on it or some similar fix.

Ok. Now you've got me worried that my L is set too lean. I'm gonna fidget with this. Let me consult my service manual...I'm having brain farts right now and thinking in circles.

Damnit Danno, a new avatar comin' soon, or what?!?

Sorry, can't help ya on the saw.

ISeeDeadBTUs said:

I'm stuck on ideas, besides it's cold out. If I can get ahold of one of those ponytail hats then I might get a good Thistle Avatar, lol.

Danno77 said:
Ok. Now you've got me worried that my L is set too lean. I'm gonna fidget with this. Let me consult my service manual...I'm having brain farts right now and thinking in circles.
Ok, manual says "engine does not respond properly to throttle" as just about the only symptom to show that the idle is set too lean. To clarify, there are other symptoms that could also mean that your L is off, but if all else is working fine, and your throttle response is out of whack, then check that L.

Since everything seems to be in working order then it must be fine. I was worried that I had compensated for a racing idle due to a lean condition by taking down the idle stop or idle speed, which could be the case, except that the problem would then show up when you throttle up.

Does this sound right? Cause, if so, then mine should be just fine.

Danno77 said:
Danno77 said:
Ok, manual says "engine does not respond properly to throttle" as just about the only symptom to show that the idle is set too lean. To clarify, there are other symptoms that could also mean that your L is off, but if all else is working fine, and your throttle response is out of whack, then check that L.

Since everything seems to be in working order then it must be fine. I was worried that I had compensated for a racing idle due to a lean condition by taking down the idle stop or idle speed, which could be the case, except that the problem would then show up when you throttle up.

Does this sound right? Cause, if so, then mine should be just fine.
Yes, that sounds right.

Thanks, LL.

Small dab of rtv will fix your loose screw and it will still be adjustable.
L speed adjustment out of whack won't hurt anything other than it may not run as you would like. Its the H speed that set too lean that could lead to problems.
Be aware that if you keep having to fiddle with tuning your saw and it always seems to be over reving whether at idle or coming out of a cut you have an air leak. You can't speed anything up without more air. And a lean mixture is also more air just done with less fuel.

Danno77 said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

I'm stuck on ideas, besides it's cold out. If I can get ahold of one of those ponytail hats then I might get a good Thistle Avatar, lol.

:lol: LMFAO :lol: There went my coffee lol

Thistle said:
Danno77 said:
ISeeDeadBTUs said:

:lol: LMFAO :lol: There went my coffee lol
Wondered if/when you'd catch that!

He's already admitted he's got a screw loose, so anything's possible . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.