Ill built 5700 Quadra Fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

charly

Bought a new 5700 Quadra Fire, 2009 stamped on the back, this year, only to find out, no one at the factory checked these earlier models before they went out. First the legs where the bolts go up thru, were never ground flat, they were left at an angle so only half of the flatwasher on the 3/8th's bolt made contact. Would the leg hold or shoot out off the bolt ? Not a solid fit. So the new legs are ground flat and being shipped. Next I go to put the handle on the ash dump rod, no one checked that either. Rod was .004 larger than the half moon hole in the handle. So I took material off the rod until the handle fit. Last but not least, the factory never cut the side angle on the leg brackets long enough to allow the handle to swing to the full open position, and allow the magnet to hold the handle up, so you could dump the ashes. They were a half inch short on the amount metal that should have been removed. Factory said I could grind the cast legs flat so the washer would sit square on the legs. If they ever failed from grinding on them and the stove tipped over in the middle of the night, I wouldn't have a leg to stand on, because I altered the original leg, so I new better than to do that. Plus they also package a 6 bolt ash dump instead of an 8 bolt, so that had to be shipped out a month ago. So here I sit waiting for parts and my dealer was crying to me that they have to pay for the shipping on the new parts, so I can use my new stove. Maybe I should have said, hey so I don't have to hear you crying about paying the shipping, I'll just bring the stove back and you can refund my money. LOL! So a little heads up to anyone else buying a 5700 Quad, check the date on the stove, or you'll be buying a stove you can't assemble.

That sounds completely unacceptable to me from a quality stove company. That dealer should be kissing your butt, not crying. If he needs to cry, tell him to cry to Quadra Fire. Its you that has the "right" to cry.

Sounds like one slipped past QC.

Jags said:
That sounds completely unacceptable to me from a quality stove company. That dealer should be kissing your butt, not crying. If he needs to cry, tell him to cry to Quadra Fire. Its you that has the "right" to cry.

Sounds like one slipped past QC.
Don't get me wrong , the factory guys treated me fine. I had actually went and straightened everything out , except the legs. But now the factory wants me to have all the correct parts. My dealer actually said I'd get nowhere's talking to the factory. I can't believe the dealer hadn't received a service bulletin as per this issue. So that means all the 5700's they sell, that came in with my stove, will probaly come to bite the people that buy them. The dealer should be checking numbers and switching out the bad parts for the correct ones. I doubt they will. They acted like they didn't have a clue. Unreal. Come to find out , the guy who installed my liner still burns a 30 year old Fireview, almost and should have went that route instead of dealing with this. This was suppose to be a good stove and company. Live and learn.

xclimber said:
This was suppose to be a good stove and company. Live and learn.

Maybe I am a little biased, but I think it still is. Sounds like the factory is doing its best to correct the issues. Sounds to me like the dealer may be dropping the ball. Cant blame Quadrafire for that.

I'm not a big fan of Quads cheesy fire bricks, baffle system and all that extra combustion air that goes into the back of the firebox, but most people that buy them are pretty happy. Sounds like something slipped through the cracks, this can happen with larger stove manufactures like Quadra Fire. It's still early, they should make it right before the snow flys. I'd be a lot more pissed if this happened to me in the middle of Winter.

Hi guys,
Just when I was about to decide on a 5700!!! I have just sold my XL Dutchwest and am in the process on deciding on which stove. I ran a Large Dutchwest for a couple of years and needed more heat so I moved up to the XL in '04. Still not quiet enough heat out of the convection not to mention the backpuffing. My stove dealer swears by the Dutchwest stoves but I still have problems with the backpuffing even with minimum 1 yr old dry wood and correct chimney height, etc, etc.

I am thinking of a Buck 91 or the Quad 5700. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Just how would I know which 5700's would be n the batch you were speaking of?

I have visited this site a lot and gotten a lot of good info here so I decided to register and jump in with my deciding on a new stove.

thanks a lot

David

this kind of stuff happens i wouldnt say it is the end of the world but it really sucks when it happens to you! the 5700 is a great stove and will do you just fine xclimber

davidmc said:
Hi guys,
Just when I was about to decide on a 5700!!! I have just sold my XL Dutchwest and am in the process on deciding on which stove. I ran a Large Dutchwest for a couple of years and needed more heat so I moved up to the XL in '04. Still not quiet enough heat out of the convection not to mention the backpuffing. My stove dealer swears by the Dutchwest stoves but I still have problems with the backpuffing even with minimum 1 yr old dry wood and correct chimney height, etc, etc.

I am thinking of a Buck 91 or the Quad 5700. Any thoughts would be appreciated!
Just how would I know which 5700's would be n the batch you were speaking of?

I have visited this site a lot and gotten a lot of good info here so I decided to register and jump in with my deciding on a new stove.

thanks a lot

David
David, you could call Quadra Fire and tell them you heard of the problem, and want to make sure you don't get a stove that had the mismachined parts. I'm sure they would be glad to help you out. They treated me well, once they found out my dealer was the one dragging their feet. They weren't the type of people to rush you off the phone. Actually they wound up calling my dealer , as I didn't know how long it would take my dealer to even call. Quads # 800-926-4356. I'd say a 2010 number stove will be fine. Mine was 2009.

Status
Not open for further replies.