I'm a believer!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Dann-0

Jul 4, 2020
New Hampshire
So after reading this forum for months. I've finally tried the top down burning method. Having built fires for 40 years I was quite skeptical about it. I can now say I won't light a fire the old way ever again. It works like magic. No smoke, no haggling.
So if your reading this and have never tried it. Don't build another fire until you try it yourself.

with my stove i set the fire i give it about 2 minutes of watching it and close the door and walk away. when the stove starts coming up to temp the auto air spring starts shutting down the air. next time i see the stove i'm throwing more wood in it.

with my stove i set the fire i give it about 2 minutes of watching it and close the door and walk away. when the stove starts coming up to temp the auto air spring starts shutting down the air. next time i see the stove i'm throwing more wood in it.
i really don't know what this means! the first post was about starting fires. sounded like they reverse order the kindling set-up ( top down rather than bottom up).

yes big splits at the bottom then a few medium size splits the small then i arrange my kindling on top 3 pieces then 3 pieces the opposite way then 3 more the same as the first 3. take a sheet of news paper roll it then tie a small not. do this with 2 full sheets place them on top of the kindling light it watch it for 2 minutes then close the door and let the stove take over. most of the smoke of lighting has to go thru the fire and gets burnt up so there is minimal smoke. at the same time it gets the chimney warmed up a little quicker