I'm curious

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Could I survive? Yeah.... unfortunately for me Id have some frozen pipes since my stove is on the mid floor of a modified split level of a 3600 sqft house. I screwed up yesterday and forgot to turn the electric on in some bedrooms we dont use often and I had a pipe freeze up on me and cause a little water damage on my one ceiling. It was -6 last night. The whole reason I got a stove was because I cant afford the electric and last year we lost power in the winter and it was 25 degrees in our house. It was hard to sleep and we had to bring our pets to my parents house
Ya I'm using some oil to keep the cellar pipes from freezing.I haven't finished my new pipe install and can't use the stove in the cellar.The first floor stove will warm things up that the furnace won't come on making the cellar cold.So I'm doing small fires on the first floor and running the furnace for the cellar.Mild weather is coming in next week.Then I'll finish the chimney before the next arctic freeze.Then I'll be good to go.

We heat exclusively and cook almost exclusively with wood--not because we have to, but because we want to. I have a stove in the basement and a masonry heater on the 1st floor. Granted, I have to fire them both when temps are below zero ::F to keep the place above 70 in most rooms, but I am also aware that we would probably make it if we'd put an extra blanket (or cat) on the bed and let the house dip into the 60's or even 50's. Now if I really had to worry about heating with wood efficiently, I would have designed a house with lower ceilings and smaller rooms, but thanks to modern insulation, we are in pretty good shape anyway. If the power went down for an extended period, things would be more complicated, but we have a stream running through the property that has potable water, so we wouldn't dry up and we'd still be able to flush as needed ;). At any rare we would abide.

We’ve had -50 already and with just the stove the house was warm so no worries there. I did have a wireless thermostat to kick on the blowers at night when needed but if we didn’t have power I would just turn up the thermostat on the stove. Most of the time we don’t use the blowers anyway.
Man you got a great stove if it can do that at -50.Which stove is it.

We heat exclusively and cook almost exclusively with wood--not because we have to, but because we want to. I have a stove in the basement and a masonry heater on the 1st floor. Granted, I have to fire them both when temps are below zero ::F to keep the place above 70 in most rooms, but I am also aware that we would probably make it if we'd put an extra blanket (or cat) on the bed and let the house dip into the 60's or even 50's. Now if I really had to worry about heating with wood efficiently, I would have designed a house with lower ceilings and smaller rooms, but thanks to modern insulation, we are in pretty good shape anyway. If the power went down for an extended period, things would be more complicated, but we have a stream running through the property that has potable water, so we wouldn't dry up and we'd still be able to flush as needed ;). At any rare we would abide.
Ya my situation is similar to yours.One stove on the first floor and the other in the basement.I run both when the temps are in the single digits and below zero.When both are going I don't worry about the power going out.We can heat water on the stoves and also cook in them and on them.

Did you have the masonry heater built? Next house I plan on having one.

It looks like you'd be just fine if the power is out for a while.I don't know if Miami can match your house temps at this time of year.
We actually hit 85 the first day of the cold snap...lol..first time I ever had to let the house cool down in cold weather! We are older and she is cold natured and I am on a blood thinner that lets me chill easily..so we keep the house warm...This time last year was a entirely different story...I struggled to keep it in the low to mid 70s during that brutal cold snap...I decided to strip the outside of this leaky house down to the studs...we caulked and sealed and reframed a few things and added Foamular board over the existing studs and wall insulation and taped all joints along with house wrap and new windows and doors and flashing...this has paid off very well for us...the house is much tighter and warmer now.

We actually hit 85 the first day of the cold snap...lol..first time I ever had to let the house cool down in cold weather! We are older and she is cold natured and I am on a blood thinner that lets me chill easily..so we keep the house warm...This time last year was a entirely different story...I struggled to keep it in the low to mid 70s during that brutal cold snap...I decided to strip the outside of this leaky house down to the studs...we caulked and sealed and reframed a few things and added Foamular board over the existing studs and wall insulation and taped all joints along with house wrap and new windows and doors and flashing...this has paid off very well for us...the house is much tighter and warmer now.
Tar12 I love your story.Thanks for sharing.God bless you.

Ashford 30. House seams to heat pretty easy but definitely ran it a little harder last few days. No where close to max output though.
That's some testament for that stove.I'm glad you pick a winner.Stay safe and warm.

As long as I'm home, I heat the entire basement and upstairs with wood. When the power goes out, nothing changes.

Sometimes, when I'm lazy after work, I use the propane to bring the upstairs to temp before bed. Then it's back to the wood.

Lots of insulation helps...

Well I appreciate everyone for sharing their stories.I've learned a few things about how valuable certain stoves can be in crucial situations and the clever way folks cope when things become extreme.Thanks to everyone here.

I turned up the thermostat for the oil boiler yesterday . . . normally the woodstove does pretty well with the lower temps, but with a very brisk wind parts of the house were just a tad bit cold for my taste. I've never subscribed to the all-or-nothing philosophy of running a woodstove and am more than happy to burn some dinosaurs when I am sick, lazy or when the situation calls for a little more heat . . . besides I like to run some heat through the pipes and in the crawl space as cheap insurance vs. having to deal with a frozen and busted pipe.

Did you have the masonry heater built? Next house I plan on having one.
Yes--I worked with Alex Chernov (stovemaster.com) for plans and had a local mason do the work.