I'm interested in buying a Stuv 16 - anything comparable I should look at?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rasputin

Dec 3, 2019
Madison, WI
I'd like to find a more contemporary insert or wood stove to install inside my 1927 fireplace. I found the Stuv-16 https://stuvamerica.com/en/fireplaces/the-stuv-16-in https://stuvamerica.com/en/stoves/stuv-16-cube-h - I like the looks but I'm curious if there's anything else I should consider. It seems that there are a number of similar models out there...only available in Europe. I've checked local fireplace insert sellers and nobody has been helpful which has been odd / annoying. One woman went so far as to call herself the dream killer. (Thanks!)

Note - previous thread - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/seeking-wood-burning-insert-recommendations.178551/

Included a pic of the fireplace. Dimensions are 48" wide, 20" deep, and the arch ranges from 24" to 36" tall.

Much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_4946.jpg
    IMG_4946.jpg
    205 KB · Views: 300
Already under discussion. Why a new thread?

I'd like to find a more contemporary insert or wood stove to install inside my 1927 fireplace. I found the Stuv-16 https://stuvamerica.com/en/fireplaces/the-stuv-16-in https://stuvamerica.com/en/stoves/stuv-16-cube-h - I like the looks but I'm curious if there's anything else I should consider. It seems that there are a number of similar models out there...only available in Europe. I've checked local fireplace insert sellers and nobody has been helpful which has been odd / annoying. One woman went so far as to call herself the dream killer. (Thanks!)

Note - previous thread - https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/seeking-wood-burning-insert-recommendations.178551/

Included a pic of the fireplace. Dimensions are 48" wide, 20" deep, and the arch ranges from 24" to 36" tall.

Much appreciated.
You do realize this is a single burn rate stove right?

You do realize this is a single burn rate stove right?

But they are "Sober and pure of line". It is an "XXL fire", "Fire in its purest form"! You ought be able to appreciate that, Mr. "Oh that stove is great but it isn't pretty enough for me".

Already under discussion. Why a new thread?

Presumably so I could mock the marketing group that makes these "stoves" and also agitate bholler all in one paragraph. A rare opportunity, and much appreciated! ;lol

But they are "Sober and pure of line". It is an "XXL fire", "Fire in its purest form"! You ought be able to appreciate that, Mr. "Oh that stove is great but it isn't pretty enough for me".

Presumably so I could mock the marketing group that makes these "stoves" and also agitate bholler all in one paragraph. A rare opportunity, and much appreciated! ;lol
They do look fantastic. But to me as a single burn rate unit it isn't a functional heater

Reactions: EbS-P
Can you be more specific?

I'm interest in burning wood for ambiance. If I wanted efficiency I'd seal the fireplace and let the furnace continue to do its job.
It is basically a freestanding fireplace. You will have no control over the fire. To me if I am spending the money on a stove and liner I want it to be an efficient heater as well as look good. But that is just my opinion doesn't mean yours is wrong

Reactions: Mech e
It is basically a freestanding fireplace. You will have no control over the fire. To me if I am spending the money on a stove and liner I want it to be an efficient heater as well as look good. But that is just my opinion doesn't mean yours is wrong

I completely agree and part of the reason why I'm posting here is because I'm frustrated by lack of options for my given parameters. If I want something with a traditional look there are a ton of options. If I'm willing to put a large piece of steel over the front of the hearth there are plenty of options.

Regarding efficiency - I assume you're exaggerating, otherwise it makes zero sense to consider purchasing such a stove / insert.

I completely agree and part of the reason why I'm posting here is because I'm frustrated by lack of options for my given parameters. If I want something with a traditional look there are a ton of options. If I'm willing to put a large piece of steel over the front of the hearth there are plenty of options.

Regarding efficiency - I assume you're exaggerating, otherwise it makes zero sense to consider purchasing such a stove / insert.
Exaggerating how? We don't know the efficiency or btu output of this unit because it isn't tested. As a fbr appliance they don't have to test in the same way as regular stoves

You're basically saying it does nothing when used as an insert.
I am sure it will be better than an open fireplace. But honestly we have no clue how much better

So you're saying the numbers they provide aren't trustworthy? Whats an fbr appliance?
Fixed burn rate. Meaning you have no air control. You just put wood in it and let it burn. We have no idea how they arrived at those numbers. All stoves sold here now that are not fbr appliances need to test using the same methods. These do not

Might be much worse than an open fireplace for your heating bill. Insert means no flue damper. Fixed burn rate means no air control. Together, that means the unit's normal air intake whooshing up your flue 24/7 even if you never use it.

The open fireplace may have a higher volume flue, but you can shut the flue when you're not using it.

If the whole deal is just for cosmetics, that might be fine, but don't confuse it with a heater that adds BTUs to the envelope.

This is the first request that I have seen for information on this product. You are the researcher. I'd start with their sales staff to see about its suitability for your application. Let us know what you find out including availability, installation requirements and cost.

Yeah, "XXL fire" with the single burn rated..extra-extra large flames with the heat leaving the house to further heat the environment. ;lol
bholler has said his BK ain't pretty but I don't recall him saying it was all that great. ;lol
I'm German and Swiss, pure of line, but not always totally sober.. ==c

Yeah, "XXL fire" with the single burn rated..extra-extra large flames with the heat leaving the house to further heat the environment. ;lol
bholler has said his BK ain't pretty but I don't recall him saying it was all that great. ;lol
I'm German and Swiss, pure of line, but not always totally sober.. ==c
It is fantastic is some ways and not in others. It also isn't mine I am just borrowing it

Might be much worse than an open fireplace for your heating bill. Insert means no flue damper. Fixed burn rate means no air control. Together, that means the unit's normal air intake whooshing up your flue 24/7 even if you never use it.

The open fireplace may have a higher volume flue, but you can shut the flue when you're not using it.

If the whole deal is just for cosmetics, that might be fine, but don't confuse it with a heater that adds BTUs to the envelope.
I seriously doubt it would be worse than an open fireplace. Most fireplace dampers leak more than the intake for that stove will. But it is possible.

It is fantastic is some ways and not in others. It also isn't mine I am just borrowing it
Others will glean something from your response, that's good, but I didn't as I already knew exactly what your reply would be. ;)
Hey, even I would try a BK if it was free ==c but with a masonry fireplace I want rear-vent capability, so it's still a no-go here..I'd have to put it in one of my in-laws' houses. I prefer a decent-looking stove to a utilitarian box (I feel I have both,) and to me it looks better having no visible pipe.

Others will glean something from your response, that's good, but I didn't as I already knew exactly what your reply would be. ;)
Hey, even I would try a BK if it was free ==c but with a masonry fireplace I want rear-vent capability, so it's still a no-go here..I'd have to put it in one of my in-laws' houses. I prefer a decent-looking stove to a utilitarian box (I feel I have both,) and to me it looks better having no visible pipe.
There are options from bk that look good as well. Once I tighten up the house a bit more I may get a Chinook.

There are options from bk that look good as well. Once I tighten up the house a bit more I may get a Chinook.
Yeah, I think that's the best-looking 30-box; Somehow, they made even the cast-jacketed Ashford look generic.
Might be tough for even you to stumble across a deal on a used Chinook. But, being a well-heeled chimney guy, plus the big money you make as a moderator, maybe you can shell out what they ask for a new one? ;)
The thermostat would be a good feature for you, opening up the air on the coals before you get back home, and keeping some heat coming.
tighten up the house
I know, right? ;) ;lol If I could tighten up this place enough, the Keystone might still handle it even if we add a room or two. I'm never gonna have wall insulation in the main room (logs and 1" cement board/drywall,) but we've got R-13 in the bedroom...converted a glassed-in porch about fifteen years ago. Vaulted ceiling in there, though..
Hey, I tried the weatherstrip you recommended; That stuff covers a much larger gap than the bulb stuff I've used..thanks for the heads-up! :) Friggin cheap-arse bedroom (mud room) exterior door we got from Home Despot still isn't sealing with the kerf-intalled strip. I'm gonna have to get more of the flanged stuff I used on the main room exterior door. Sheesh, another twenny bucks down the drain. <>
20200127_154303.jpg

This is not a BK thread. Take it to one of them.

Just to clarify, is the idea to put a freestanding Stuv 16 Cube in the fireplace? Looks like it will fit and it's a relatively efficient and clean burner. One concern is that there is no blower option. With the stove in the deep fireplace a lot of the heat will go to the masonry. Be sure a block-off plate is put in place below the damper area to keep as much as possible in the room.

The manual goes into repeated detail about strongly recommending an outside air supply. Does the fireplace have one? If not, the base plate covers need to be removed for room air supply.

Another stove that might work here is the high efficiency MF Fire Nova.

Last edited:
rasputin , take a look at the Osburn Inspire 2000. That has a clean contemporary look and a blower. It could have a custom surround made to fit inside the arch.