I'm more than ready to spark one!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Prof

Minister of Fire
Oct 18, 2011
Western PA
This summer has been way too hot and humid for me. I've been longing for cool autumn breezes and the first fires of the season. I want to eat savory soups, not cool salads! If summers like this become the norm in western PA, I may head north!

This summer has been way too hot and humid for me. I've been longing for cool autumn breezes and the first fires of the season. I want to eat savory soups, not cool salads! If summers like this become the norm in western PA, I may head north!
If I could like your post more than once I would.

Reactions: MissMac and Prof
The like I sent is for JimBear and myself, that way he has two.:)

• Haha
Reactions: Prof and JimBear
We’ve already surpassed the record for number of 90 degree days in a year since records were kept. We will have had 40+ of 90 degrees by the time we’re done in CT. Along with have our last winters be mild, I’m not diggin’ this.

Reactions: Prof
Been a warm summer, so glad i got all my cutting and splitting down way back in the beginning of spring, although I had a tree fall during the tropical storm a few weeks ago, fell across my stacks lol, just waiting for it to cool off and I'll cut up that ash tree, I may just stack it on top of the main stacks to add my "center rib" so when i tarp the stacks I get pitch for water and snow run off.
On a side note, I know acorns are more or less an old wives tail of an upcoming winter, but the white oak in front of the house seems to making bigger nuts foretelling a severe winter, this year, we have bigger nuts, which will be a nice change since the last 2 winters kind of have been duds in the snow department.

There's been a crisp feel to the air the last few nights here. Feels like burn season is approaching.

The only crisp here are the heat indexes of 100deg and no rain for a month. Need some cool cold to get back in the woods, clean up the dead falls, clear trails. Checking the acorns on the oak trees somehow brings the wizard of oz to mind. "Hey, what youdoing, how would you like that."

I have leaves changing already! Both Maple and Ash.

I have leaves changing already! Both Maple and Ash.
You still have ash trees--I don't think I could find a live one in my area.

Yes we have about a dozen or so, four in our yard. Unfortunately they are on their way out the door so to say. They still have leaves, they are very sparse and the bark is beginning to peel. I will probably remove them this winter they should still have enough elasticity to control them on the stump.

Not me. I love our summers. That said, after a recent short warm spell, we are cooling down. Daytime highs around 70-75 and nights in the mid-50s. I suspect Highbeam may be getting ready to light up soon. Outside there are definitely signs of the upcoming autumn. This is a young maple in our yard.
red-maple-tree.jpg

Reactions: mrd1995
Not me. I love our summers. That said, after a recent short warm spell, we are cooling down. Daytime highs around 70-75 and nights in the mid-50s. I suspect Highbeam may be getting ready to light up soon. Outside there are definitely signs of the upcoming autumn. This is a young maple in our yard.
View attachment 262454

This weather is perfect. Cool enough at night, high 40s, to keep the grass wet but warm enough during the day to keep the house temperatures up. I was unloading hog fuel from my pickup at 6:30 AM yesterday and could see my breath. Hosed off my hands and tools and I had that cool steam rising from hands effect. Pumpkins are getting orange and hops are almost ready to harvest, just letting the yellow stuff turn a bit more golden.

A few more weeks for us before first stove fire.
2C37EC2E-4D40-41E7-B1CB-44198C2B46FC.jpeg

Reactions: Osage
I thought this weather would make you hoppy. ;lol

Reactions: Osage and Highbeam
Seems like we keep setting more record highs every Summer and Winter around here, hardly ever any record lows.
Mrs. Fireman and I both agree that moving any further South is for the birds.

mornings have been feeling a bit crispy lately. Drove past one guy with smoke coming from the chimney already - whoa there buddy! Most days are still in the 60's so still some summer left to enjoy

mornings have been feeling a bit crispy lately. Drove past one guy with smoke coming from the chimney already - whoa there buddy! Most days are still in the 60's so still some summer left to enjoy
Yeah, sounds like that guy may have gotten ahead of himself--it has been crisp a few mornings here too.

Next week we're going to see some 60 degree temps and upper 40's for the lows and I am happy that our AC will finally be off (maybe) for the season by tomorrow! Awaiting some severe t-storms this evening and then awesome weather going forward! Tree's in my neighborhood are starting to turn color but I'm wondering more if it's due to lack of rain or tree disease vs cooler weather on the way.

Highs in the 60s is not going to keep my house in the 70s so I would be burning too. We insulated our home and have pretty deep eaves that prevent sunlight from coming into the windows. Very little of this "solar gain" that is really energy passing though the envelope.

I'm not far from there - still running the AC myself. Its still way too early for smoke out the chimney.

Reactions: Mech e
we had 4 days this week ranging from 90 to 95 with out the heat index and man has it been humid. Theres a front pushing through today and some of the northern air will be coming down. Temps looking to be upper 70s to low 80s. I work outside for a living and I'm looking forward to a chang in the weather. It seems that the weather pattern has changed from last 2 years our summers were a little cooler and wet.. this summer was dryer, hot. So I'm thinking this winter should be more of a normal to cooler winter.. Im hoping so.. I could use the work.
Im about 40 days from my first fire, trust me it can't come fast enough..

Haha I am with you! Nights are finally getting cooler but still in high 70's / low 80's here in Eastern PA.

I bought a home with a wood stove last year and the chimney liner needed replaced. Had it done a few weeks ago and was too giddy to wait - lit a fire that went for 6 hours in 85F weather haha! The room was sweltering but I loved it

• Haha
It’s finally cooled off here in NH as well. House was actually cool this morning with all the windows open overnight. I was tidying up the hearth area yesterday in preparation for colder days ahead