I'm thinking Stihl chainsaws are nothing but hype!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
It's too bad the OP chose to jump to conclusions (see thread title) rather than ask for help figuring out the problem.

Also while I like my local Ace hardware store, I'd take a saw to an outdoor power equipment store that has real mechanics.
You might be jumping to conclusions, my Stihl dealer is an Ace Hardware also and they have a complete small engine section with competent techs.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
You might be jumping to conclusions, my Stihl dealer is an Ace Hardware also and they have a complete small engine section with competent techs.
Your locale may be the exception. My local Ace has people who've received some pretty minimal training, who are capable of fixing many problems, but they are no means on-par with the mechanics at the dedicated saw shop used by all of our local pros.

I had a farm boss blow up on me. The cylinder scored and lost compression. Dealer said it was probably due to the carb being set lean to meet EPA regs. I add a little extra oil into my mix now with my MS211. Sold the Farm Boss to my mechanic who replaced the cylinder.

I had a farm boss blow up on me. The cylinder scored and lost compression. Dealer said it was probably due to the carb being set lean to meet EPA regs. I add a little extra oil into my mix now with my MS211. Sold the Farm Boss to my mechanic who replaced the cylinder.
Have you learned how to tune your saw since your last one died?

Your locale may be the exception. My local Ace has people who've received some pretty minimal training, who are capable of fixing many problems, but they are no means on-par with the mechanics at the dedicated saw shop used by all of our local pros.
Same Ace experience around here. The Ace/Stihl techs seem to get some basic Stihl classes. Nothing against them by any stretch, all very nice guys but...I think when they finish their Stihl classes, they get a troubleshooting flowchart of "if this, then that" sort of thing for basic issues. Issues don't need to get very complicated before their flowchart no longer applies and the techs pretty much grasp for straws.
Agreed, there's probably rare exceptions.

maybe consider taking it to a different place. I tend to bring mine to places that only deal with power equipment.

Reactions: Sean McGillicuddy
I like our local Ace hardware but I would never take my equipment to them because of reasons previously stated. Look for a dealer that has tree service, city/county maintenance, lawn care company vehicles and trailers parked at it most of the time. When your business depends on equipment, parts and service techs that know what there doing these types will keep coming back.

When I worked in the tree service biz we had one dealership that sold/serviced Stihl, Husqvarna, Echo and Toro. There sales and service where known for miles around.

Reactions: duramaxman05
That's the first Ace I've heard of that has mechanics. None of my local ones do.
I think they are required to have at least one Stihl-certified mechanic on staff, if they sell Stihl equipment. But as noted, the level of experience and on-job training may not be quite on par with a dedicated saw shop.

Nope. messing with the carb is something I am not comfortable with.
We you should get comfortable tuning your saw unless you like buying new ones.
But you can by one that tunes it's self now which is what you could do if you don't learn to tune.
You saw should be tuned each time you cut in different weather.

Reactions: Isaac Carlson
I think they are required to have at least one Stihl-certified mechanic on staff, if they sell Stihl equipment. But as noted, the level of experience and on-job training may not be quite on par with a dedicated saw shop.
Home Hardware sells Stihl products in Whitehorse,no mechanics in that store.

Home Hardware sells Stihl products in Whitehorse,no mechanics in that store.
That's a surprise. Maybe it's an "Ace thing" and not a "Stihl thing", as I had assumed when my local Ace told me they have to have a Stihl-certified mechanic on-staff to sell Stihl equipment. I definitely had the impression from him that this was a Stihl requirement, but maybe it's an Ace corporate requirement for their franchisees, instead.

That's a surprise. Maybe it's an "Ace thing" and not a "Stihl thing", as I had assumed when my local Ace told me they have to have a Stihl-certified mechanic on-staff to sell Stihl equipment. I definitely had the impression from him that this was a Stihl requirement, but maybe it's an Ace corporate requirement for their franchisees, instead.
I understood it to be a Stihl requirement too.

Maybe they had a mechanic when they got approved to sell and the guy left. They’ve then been real slow searching for a new one. Probably just holding out for the right one.

This was the last guy who applied.

A0302B91-3BF4-4E9F-89AE-90FD75249B0F.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Ashful
My Stihl dealer has a lot more than just an Ace Hardware as they have an auto/tractor tire shop and farm/feed supply also. Pretty big operation overall. I have noticed Stihl selling at places like Rural King and I don't know if they have a shop, most times I've been in the store there isn't anyone even working in the Stihl department.

I don't treat any of my saws well, I just use fresh gas, tune them seasonally, and keep oil in the tank. They seem to do better the harder I run them.

Since you've not used the saw since it was much warmer, it might just need to be tuned.

Adding extra oil means it's going to run even more lean. Adjust the carb.

Nope. messing with the carb is something I am not comfortable with.
That's kind of a requirement for a well operating saw. If you won't tune it, take it to a mechanic seasonally.

I guess we are fortunate with our local ACE/Stihl store...the mechanic has been a Stihl tech for many moons...her dad had a Stihl dealership for years...he is long gone now though, and when ACE took Stihl on they somehow managed to commandeer her...lucky for them too (and us) because she knows her stuff!

Last edited:
I'm fortunate to have three Stihl dealers within 15 minutes of my house. One is even open on Sunday's which comes in handy if you have an issue on the weekend.

Not sure I'd stihl is like other brands but usually there is a box store line and a dealer line. The latter of which is the real deal and the former being a cheap version of. John Deere is notorious for operating with that model and it works as their box store line sells exponentially more than the dealer lines.

Not sure I'd stihl is like other brands but usually there is a box store line and a dealer line. The latter of which is the real deal and the former being a cheap version of. John Deere is notorious for operating with that model and it works as their box store line sells exponentially more than the dealer lines.
John Deere did this for a few years, but I had been told they ended that practice maybe 10 years ago. I'm not sure when that "program" started or ended, but I think it was relatively short-lived, as their regular dealers were throwing fits with corporate over warranty support on those "big box" POS's.

As to Stihl, they have three lines of saws: homeowner, ranch (farm), and pro. These have been distinguished by various color schemes over the years. I think that the big box stores (eg. TSC) that sell Stihl mostly carry only the homeowner and ranch lines.

Reactions: MJSullivan56
John Deere did this for a few years, but I had been told they ended that practice maybe 10 years ago. I'm not sure when that "program" started or ended, but I think it was relatively short-lived, as their regular dealers were throwing fits with corporate over warranty support on those "big box" POS's.

As to Stihl, they have three lines of saws: homeowner, ranch (farm), and pro. These have been distinguished by various color schemes over the years. I think that the big box stores (eg. TSC) that sell Stihl mostly carry only the homeowner and ranch lines.
Well....
It's still sorta happening with JD.
JD had their 'better' models. Tougher, better transmissions, the chassis didnt cut your hand because it was so thin. Today you'd start in the X300 series and work your way up..X304, 308 etc and X500 etc etc
Then you have your L series or D series...those are the box store models but JD dealers sell those as well, maybe not the same model but essentially the same.
For awhile there though, there was a difference between the bottom of the line JD model and the big box store models, the big box store models were less expensive and built as such...that's what tweaked the dealers. Missed sales and then they have to fix the crap.

JD originally dipped their toes into the more accessible consume line via an off brand called Sabre (By John Deere) and also selling some to Scott's and other brands that slapped their names on the tractors.

The Sabre was an amazing lawn tractor, with a beefy transmission that they would NEVER waste their time putting in a box store tractor again. I bought one for 150 bucks and was pulling roots out of the ground with it...back and forth back and forth yank yank yank...hauling tons of gravel, dirt etc and then cutting with a 55" deck as smooth as can be and far far far far far better than even a modern husqvarna garbage can could today. Alas, I left the air filter off and didnt realize it through winter and this tractor was stored behind a shed that was full of more important stuff, with a cover and tied down. The tarp ripped and allowed a lot of water to get into the engine. Then it froze. I absolutely wrecked this engine.

That's the history as I know it, Im sure others know it ALOT better than I...

Well....
It's still sorta happening with JD.
JD had their 'better' models. Tougher, better transmissions, the chassis didnt cut your hand because it was so thin. Today you'd start in the X300 series and work your way up..X304, 308 etc and X500 etc etc
Then you have your L series or D series...those are the box store models but JD dealers sell those as well, maybe not the same model but essentially the same.
For awhile there though, there was a difference between the bottom of the line JD model and the big box store models, the big box store models were less expensive and built as such...that's what tweaked the dealers. Missed sales and then they have to fix the crap.

JD originally dipped their toes into the more accessible consume line via an off brand called Sabre (By John Deere) and also selling some to Scott's and other brands that slapped their names on the tractors.

The Sabre was an amazing lawn tractor, with a beefy transmission that they would NEVER waste their time putting in a box store tractor again. I bought one for 150 bucks and was pulling roots out of the ground with it...back and forth back and forth yank yank yank...hauling tons of gravel, dirt etc and then cutting with a 55" deck as smooth as can be and far far far far far better than even a modern husqvarna garbage can could today. Alas, I left the air filter off and didnt realize it through winter and this tractor was stored behind a shed that was full of more important stuff, with a cover and tied down. The tarp ripped and allowed a lot of water to get into the engine. Then it froze. I absolutely wrecked this engine.

That's the history as I know it, Im sure others know it ALOT better than I...
same thing with the Husky tractors. They have some lower end models sold exclusively at the box stores. Got my Husky from a Dealer.

I actually thought there was some legislation in the works a few years ago, to prevent this practice. May have stalled or died, but I remember it being an item of conversation at one point. Unfortunately, it only creates confusion for the customer, when there's no clear difference in labeling or model number between an inferior and superior product, and it hurts the dealers when customers think they're just over-charging for what can be had at a big box store for much less.

No matter to me, I'm never shopping for serious OPE at big box stores, whether chainsaws, tractors, or otherwise. If I feel like a dealer is taking me for a ride, I check their price against another dealer. Lowes Depot doesn't carry equipment of the size I'm shopping these days, anyway.