I'm Through the Wall! And the Roof! Woodstove install begins...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
tiber said:
What did you use to cut it? I have to get through my roof also. (soon as ventingpipe.com fixes my order).

Tiber,

I used a drill to cut a few holes close together and then an all material sawzall to cut and trim the opening I needed...I think it worked well but there may be others who have found alternate/superior ways to do it???

Nate

I used a collar plate to weather proof the opening I cut through the soffit...seems like it is going to work great and it cleans up the appearance wonderfully

I also bent a drip edge into the top bonnet flashing which I'm hoping will work well

Attachments

• Drip Edge.jpg
    Drip Edge.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 286
With Hurricane Earl comin at me full speed I am left with tonight to wrap up my shingle and flashing job before it is tested tomorrow! Last night I finished up the underside of the soffit where the opening was and I installed the collar plate I bought which i think is going to work well. I bought some fire stop spray in insulation foam which I will use to seal off the small air space between the collar plate and the chimney pipe...this will also keep insects or anything else from finding its way into the house. I'll show pictures of how I used the collar plate as soon as I have a chance to take them (did not finish up until 10:00 PM last night).

Well I got the roof patched back in and I'm ready for Earl! The chimney is now essentiall done besides a roof guy support and one more 3ft. section of chimney pipe but neither of those are a big deal. I'll get some final pics of the roof posted this weekend.

ready for the collar (in the mail) and then winter : )

Attachments

• 0903001753b.jpg
    0903001753b.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 251
  • 0903001753.jpg
    0903001753.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 242
Received Colar and it is now installed...Had my first burn last night and she drafted like a champ!!!

moved those nail bags to the left right after I got the kindling burning.

Attachments

• A First Burn.jpg
    A First Burn.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 267
Good to see it finally came along! happy heating....

It's a great little stove. Make sure that the door gasket is still sealing well by doing the dollar bill test all the way around. Enjoy the warmth!

Thanks guys!!! I'll check the door gasket...some of the stove polish was burning off during my first burn and created a less than ideal smell but by the end of the burn it seemed to have tapered off...probably will get a bit more on the next few burns which I will progressively increase in size until no more odor is released.

I am VERY happy with the draft and having this finished as the leaves begin to change : )

Sounds good. I would also recommend a stovetop or flue thermometer. This stove responds quickly to small changes in the air control. Give it too much air and it will jump right up to 800 or 900 °F! It's kind of like the Lotus Elite sports car. You need a light touch on the accelerator.

The Dali Lima said:
Looks awesome! Nice job on the roof.

Thanks man...my father is a mason and has been flashing brick/block/stone chimneys into tar shingle roofing for years...he helped me out and it has water & ice under the shingles too so it should never have any issues with leaking...thanks pops!

oldspark said:
I wonder how many people actually have problems with their stove pipe burning out, my stove pipe on my old stove was over 30 years old and it looked new when we replace the stove this past spring, if I could have I would have used it on the new stove but it was the wrong size.

Same with me when I put a new roof on I changed from 8" to 6" for my new stove and the old was good like new after 30 yrs of burning.

Status
Not open for further replies.