In-line fan for moving heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Hearth Supporter
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
For those needing better heat circulation I just stumbled on this in-line duct blower. By spec it looks pretty good. Quiet and quite affordable.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DXYMJ94/?tag=hearthamazon-20

Vivosun makes these fans for continuous operation in greenhouses, grow boxes, etc. so it should work ok for moving cold air from one end of the house to the stove room via an insulated duct. Ideally this would be in a basement environment.

It's always fun to read the comments on these things that are being used in illegal pot growing operations. I've heard it's now legal to grow pot in some places.

I was trying to use one of these in place of the 300$ factory blower option on the actual stove. Ended up finding a universal stove blower instead.

Im not using that brand. I do have a set up with inline fan. I use it only on occasion. Like when it gets cold. I am pulling the warm air off the ceiling in the stove room and blowing it into the kids bedrooms and the master bathroom through flex duct. I can say from personal experience that this set up works extremely well. It will heat any room. I think i posted a pick of an air probe in the duct with the air in the mid 80 degree range a couple of years ago.

Im not using that brand. I do have a set up with inline fan. I use it only on occasion. Like when it gets cold. I am pulling the warm air off the ceiling in the stove room and blowing it into the kids bedrooms and the master bathroom through flex duct. I can say from personal experience that this set up works extremely well. It will heat any room. I think i posted a pick of an air probe in the duct with the air in the mid 80 degree range a couple of years ago.
Yes, there are many options. This one has a pretty good track record, is quiet and affordable. FWIW, It's usually more effective to move the cold air toward the warm. That way is less drafty and moves more air.

It's always fun to read the comments on these things that are being used in illegal pot growing operations. I've heard it's now legal to grow pot in some places.

I was trying to use one of these in place of the 300$ factory blower option on the actual stove. Ended up finding a universal stove blower instead.
Yes, I think they got their start in the pot growing business, which is now an industry. I wouldn't use it as a stove blower. It has a plastic casing and impeller. $63 including speed control is a decent price. They make cheaper all metal duct boosters as well, though not as quiet.

Yes, I think they got their start in the pot growing business, which is now an industry. I wouldn't use it as a stove blower. It has a plastic casing and impeller. $63 including speed control is a decent price. They make cheaper all metal duct boosters as well, though not as quiet.

Right, you would set this blower on the floor and then connect a metal duct onto the back of the stove. Remote mount blower. A regular duct boot is very similar in dimensions to a standard squirrel cage stove blower for actual attachment to the stove. A big blower like this capable of 390 CFM could be very quiet and move many times more air when running at low throttle compared to an OEM stove blower rated for 50cfm.

For general air circulation in the living space it's still hard to beat a box fan blowing cold air towards the stove.

For general air circulation in the living space it's still hard to beat a box fan blowing cold air towards the stove.
Yes, cheap and effective, though a bit ghetto looking. I certainly would try that first if there was a line of sight view to the stove room. Some layouts don't have this. It can also be a hazard in some floor plans and in some ranch style homes there isn't an outlet nearby at the end of the hallway. The other benefit is that one can duct to more than one area via a Y which is often good for catching a master bedroom or similar area.

Reactions: Highbeam