Indecisive Firebug up a tree

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

X-Raycer

Dec 30, 2013
Appalachian KY
I thought I knew something about burning wood but I wish I had found this forum in 2001.

Until I moved here, my only stove experience was with an old "Caboose" Pot Belly that I used in a 5 car garage.

Now I rent a little house and when I moved in had a Double Horseshoe, 3 Pipe/blower, Englander when I move here in '01.
It was a Side Loader sitting on the hearth in front of the fireplace with the flue going through a steel plate and up the chimney.
I thought the stove was too big because it just put out too much heat.
(I learned recently that there was no gasket to seal the door.)

After five years my landlord replaced the Englander with a small CFM with a 16" wide by 12" deep firebox. It was installed in the hollow of the Fireplace .
He gave me the Englander and I covered it, put it on a furniture dolly and stored it in my carport shed for 4 years.
I got tired of moving it and sold it. (Banging My Head Now)
The guy I sold the stove to is asking twice as mush as I sold it to him for. And the thing is, he's right, I sold it too cheap seeing the prices of comparable stoves now.

I'm planning on moving in six months to the mountains of Kentucky and will need a stove as a primary heat source for a 1000-1200 sq. ft. cabin.
I've been looking at stoves and I'm blown over for what people are asking for a Fisher Baby Bear and they are 200-400-500 miles away.

I found a Square Door, Short Handle Fisher Mama Bear with a 5/16" steel Baffle and Brass Ball Feet in very good condition for what I believe is a good price. Though there is no UL label on the stove.
I'm old with a back back and the seller will deliver the stove to me free.

The dilemma in my mind is whether I should buy it or wait, taking the chance I won't find as good a deal later.
My kids are telling me to buy it.

Push me one way or the other.

Last edited:
If it's under a buck a pound I'd buy it :)

I think you might be psychic Coaly...
Here are two cropped pics of the Fisher stove I'm looking to buy.
When I inspect it is there anything in particular that I should look for that might indicate that I should not buy it?

Attachments

• Fisher Mama Bear cropped.jpg
    Fisher Mama Bear cropped.jpg
    190.9 KB · Views: 304
  • Fisher Mama Bear (1) cropped.jpg
    Fisher Mama Bear (1) cropped.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 212
Only the price tag !

Overheating will show warping or bulge on the flat sides. Not a deal breaker, but a straight stove is nice. Door should close solidly and fit the seal without lifting it to make it fit. I've seen some hinges so worn the door sags and needs shims under the hinges to center door again. Even that is easily fixable.

I went to inspect the stove today.
It has Chrome Ball feet that screw in/out to adjust the stove to level.
The door and damper caps fit flush.
There was not any wear on the door hinges that I could see.
The interior and Fire Bricks look like the stove has hardly seen any use.
It also comes with a never used 3/8" thick, 8"x15" Stainless Steel Baffle Plate.
I figure that is even better than a 5/16" baffle that has been recommended here.

I think that it is a Papa Bear, not a Mama Bear.

I measured the outside of the fire box, not the Top Plate, at 18" wide and 33" long, not counting the Ash Fender.
I wear a 32" Shirt Sleeve and I could not touch the Fire Bricks at the back of the stove.

Since I will be using it in a mountain cabin, I would rather have bigger than smaller during long, cold nights.
So we agreed on the price and it will be delivered this week-end.

Comparing it to the US Stove that I have now or the Englander that I used to have, I think I will be very happy with it.
Especially with the price I paid for it.

Last edited:
Nice stove !
Sounds like Papa measurements. Papa with ash fender and pipe out the back will be 40 inches overall. The rear sheet should be 17 1/2 wide X 24 high in the Papa as well. Mama will be 16 wide X 24 high.
The other way to tell without measuring is the Mama has 5 1/2 bricks on each side compared to 6 1/2 in the Papa.
That baffle seems short to reach across a Papa. I don't think you're going to need to squeeze every bit of heat out of it anyway. Man, it's gonna be hot in there. One thing about a Fisher is the amount of heat to their size they put out. The big advantage a Mama has over Baby is holding more wood for a longer burn. My 800 sf cabin would be just right with a Baby, but with decreased load, I went with Mama. It's solid logs, so the heat loss through walls is great. But the mass heats up in time and balances out the loss. if I lived in it all the time, I would have to change it to a Baby. but for a weekend getaway, it's fine over sized bringing the cold structure up to temp.
Keep the hinges and pins greased as well as the draft cap threads and it should last your lifetime X 2.
Once it's yours, I hope you'll give up the price! My best deal (other than a free Grandma) was 80 bucks for a Baby Bear WITH bear feet.

I went to inspect the stove again today to take some more measurements.
Definitely a Papa Bear.
The width between the side Fire Bricks was 15" and too wide for the Baffle that he had cut.
Bottom line was I decided not to buy it.
I have a lot of time between now, the time I move, and next winter when I will actually need the Stove.
I'll be in another region and there is no telling what I may come across.

Status
Not open for further replies.