Indoor - outdoor thermometers. Anyone use one of these?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
to monitor temps for different rooms across your layout? This unit can montior temps for up to 4 different rooms including outside. I'm considering one to understand how to best distribute heat through out my one level semi-opened floor plan.

Attachments

• 300.jpg
    300.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 376
I find I don't mind some rooms being cooler then others..for sure the bedrooms.
Small price to pay for enjoying and saving big money with a wood stove.

we have a dual zone thermometer, one sensor on the far end of the house upstairs, another in the kitchen where our big woodstove is.......usually only a degree or two difference once the house balances out, being we just remodeled and insulated the crap out of our house.....like the last poster said, we kinda like the bedrooms to be cooler, but that is hard to do when the house is insulated so tight.....neighbors think I am nuts cause I usually have my window fan in the window and running every night of the winter......except when it gets down in the single digits, it actually stays just right in here....lol.....

Stax, who sells them and do you know the cost?

Oregon Scientific...around $75 bucks. Comes with two sensors (outdoor one and one additional room sensor). I'm guessing if you wanted to monitor two other rooms, you'd have to buy the extra two. That info. is available on their site. Think it's worth it?

Thanks BG, will check it out. It does, it give you a four tab setting that you can customize. The picture just shows different fuctions.

I like it a lot! Just what I have been looking for. Do you have the exact model number or URL to the Oregon Site where it is sold?

Due to this thread I purchased this unit after I got home that night. Came today via USPS. Unloaded it. Batteries in. Let it sit for 20 min to stabilize.....

Come back into the bedroom and the Humidity was within 3% of one another and the temp within .4 degrees (4 tenths of a degree) . So all in all. They are very accurate.

This will give me real time temp of my 10 yr old sons room and my 5 month old daughters room. Have installed Broan 90 cfm through the wall fans and seem to be doing a fantastic job. Now I will truly know the temp of all 3 bedrooms.

I have 2 units other than this one that are just a single outdoor reciever. One is outside and the other is in the basement (want to know the air temp by the woodstove) I am all about the metrics...

Will update more in a few days. After it gets some real time use.

Attachments

• Oregon.jpg
    Oregon.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 173
Congrats Dexter...let me know how she works for ya. How many extra sensors did you purchase? It comes with one plus the outdoor one correct? Also, can you take a pic of of your Broan fans? I'd like to know more about em as they might work in my situation.

Stax said:
Congrats Dexter...let me know how she works for ya. How many extra sensors did you purchase? It comes with one plus the outdoor one correct? Also, can you take a pic of of your Broan fans? I'd like to know more about em as they might work in my situation.

I have them on an adjustable dimmer switch. So the fan can be adjusted to your sound level/air flow level you like.

I did not buy any other sensors. I put the outdoor one in the babies room (I already have an outdoor unit (actually 2) and the other remote transmitter in my Sons room. The main moniter is in our room right now. The temp is still only about 1.2 degrees different now that they have been placed in there permanent locations and the humidity is only 2% different. So far so good. The Broan Fans are from venting direct and were about $42.00 a piece. I like them better than the corner units we had for previous years. They advertise the same 90 cfm. But if thats the case. Then the Broan is 180 cfm or corner units are 45 cfm. Seems to be double the output.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• Broan.jpg
    Broan.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 190
Did you have your old fans on a dimmer switch also? I was under the impression that motors on dimmer switches was a risky venture. They must not pull very much wattage then.

shmodaddy said:
Did you have your old fans on a dimmer switch also? I was under the impression that motors on dimmer switches was a risky venture. They must not pull very much wattage then.

No.. The corner fans were on On/Off or Low/High.. The Broan website recommends an adjustable switch from the website. I understand the dangers of it. I normally run above 70% load. Cant see it in the pic. But there is a red dot on the dial and a red dot on the wall plate. This is were I have been keeping it for weeks. Works great and no problems. Forgot to mention that. But the switch they offer is JUNK!

Oh. Used a red Sharpie for the marks. Plenty of air. No hard draw on the motor.

DexterDay said:
Due to this thread I purchased this unit after I got home that night. Came today via USPS. Unloaded it. Batteries in. Let it sit for 20 min to stabilize.....

Come back into the bedroom and the Humidity was within 3% of one another and the temp within .4 degrees (4 tenths of a degree) . So all in all. They are very accurate.

This will give me real time temp of my 10 yr old sons room and my 5 month old daughters room. Have installed Broan 90 cfm through the wall fans and seem to be doing a fantastic job. Now I will truly know the temp of all 3 bedrooms.

I have 2 units other than this one that are just a single outdoor reciever. One is outside and the other is in the basement (want to know the air temp by the woodstove) I am all about the metrics...

Do YOU have the exact model number or URL to the Oregon Site where it is sold?

Thanks

DexterDay said:

At first glance, I was not on the same page with the intention of this equipment. It does more than I was thinking. For me, I am considering this to help figure out how much heat I'm circulating throughout the house and also to prevent too much heat into my bedroom. The kids would love some extra heat in their rooms.

DexterDay said:
Stax said:

I have them on an adjustable dimmer switch. So the fan can be adjusted to your sound level/air flow level you like.

I did not buy any other sensors. I put the outdoor one in the babies room (I already have an outdoor unit (actually 2) and the other remote transmitter in my Sons room. The main moniter is in our room right now. The temp is still only about 1.2 degrees different now that they have been placed in there permanent locations and the humidity is only 2% different. So far so good. The Broan Fans are from venting direct and were about $42.00 a piece. I like them better than the corner units we had for previous years. They advertise the same 90 cfm. But if thats the case. Then the Broan is 180 cfm or corner units are 45 cfm. Seems to be double the output.

Hope this helps.

DexterDay, I like the fan. So, is this a fan typically used on an exterior wall of a bathroom? I like how it's unobtrusive. Do you have any pics of how you installed it, etc.? I've installed plenty of bathroom fans, electrical, etc. I do like to see how or what other Hearth.com members are doing. Kind of a hobby. Also, love to get some great ideas.

HeatsTwice said:
DexterDay said:

Thanks

Yep. The name says it. Here is the link to the exact page for thel is model.

http://www.OregonScientificStore.co...ic-+ECO-Clima-Control-Weather-Monitor.product

As for the function of this. It is to see heat loss and heat gain in my kids and my bedroom. I did some testing last year. And the general consensus was I could keep the entire house within a degree or 2 (no baby last Winter/never checked her room/left it closed off) Having a Woostove and a Pellet Furnace to add to the heating arsenal. I wanted to ensure that the kids were warm and the rooms were staying at a decent temp.

So now at a glance, I can see that. I also have 2 other units. Both the receivers are in the kitchen (small, one is made by The Weather Channel/ the other is Equity) they both measure inside/outside temps. Not using the LP furnace is the best thing in the world. But it also has me testing like MAD, to make sure temps stay at a Modest 75*-76* all Winter long. (We like it Warm!) Hope this helps.

Tired/Groggy/Early..... Ugh.

WoodNStuff said:
DexterDay said:
Stax said:

Hope this helps.

DexterDay, I like the fan. So, is this a fan typically used on an exterior wall of a bathroom? I like how it's unobtrusive. Do you have any pics of how you installed it, etc.? I've installed plenty of bathroom fans, electrical, etc. I do like to see how or what other Hearth.com members are doing. Kind of a hobby. Also, love to get some great ideas.

Well. They are not designed for just bathrooms. Its any interior wall. They have numerous different models to choose from. This is a smaller unit. They make several that are much larger (approaching 250-300 CFM)

I installed in-line with an existing power outlet (same 16" wall cavity) to steal power from it and also make running the Romex a snap. I used a 6" hole saw for the fan and a drywall saw for the box hole (drywall saw can be used for 6" hole also/just easier to use hole saw). Ran the wires in there respective holes and looked for them through the next hole down in the cavity (6" round to 3" box to power suppy at outlet)

http://www.ventingdirect.com/broan-512-room-to-room-utility-ventilatory-90-cfm-3-5-sones/p417804

I didnt take a bunch of step by step pics. But you can see the holes for the fan in both pics and the hole for the outlet in the other. Further down the outlet is removed (cant see in pics) so I could hook up to power.

Thats all I got. I did post most of this in the Pellet Mill forums. If you run a search on "Broan" or "airshare" you might find some more info. I got this idea from another member. Lots of smart people on here. With even smarter ideas....

Attachments

• 2hole.jpg
    2hole.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 108
  • 1hole.jpg
    1hole.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 124
  • 3hole.jpg
    3hole.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 117
DexterDay said:
HeatsTwice said:
DexterDay said:

Thanks

Yep. The name says it. Here is the link to the exact page for thel is model.

http://www.OregonScientificStore.co...ic-+ECO-Clima-Control-Weather-Monitor.product

As for the function of this. It is to see heat loss and heat gain in my kids and my bedroom. I did some testing last year. And the general consensus was I could keep the entire house within a degree or 2 (no baby last Winter/never checked her room/left it closed off) Having a Woostove and a Pellet Furnace to add to the heating arsenal. I wanted to ensure that the kids were warm and the rooms were staying at a decent temp.

So now at a glance, I can see that. I also have 2 other units. Both the receivers are in the kitchen (small, one is made by The Weather Channel/ the other is Equity) they both measure inside/outside temps. Not using the LP furnace is the best thing in the world. But it also has me testing like MAD, to make sure temps stay at a Modest 75*-76* all Winter long. (We like it Warm!) Hope this helps.

Tired/Groggy/Early..... Ugh.

Thanks this helps a lot. I did lots of searches on the name and ECO but didn't get a hit. Congrats on the new born. I remember those days. Kids all grown now.

Status
Not open for further replies.