Input on new Husqvarna

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RiverLogger

Sep 2, 2009
Western Oregon
I currently have a 460 Rancher that has given me problems and I dont like it anymore. I talked to the saw shop where I bought it and they said they would give me 300 bucks for it toward a new saw. So I've looked at my options and have come down to two saws. The 570 or the 372XP The 570 is $675 and comes with a 28" bar. The 372XP is $790 and also comes with a 28" bar. I know the 372 is an awesome saw, but I guess I want to know if it is that much better than the 570. They are both pro saws, but the 570 is a bit restricted due to being CARB compliant. 4.9HP vs. 5.6HP for the 372. I only cut my personal wood each year which could be up to 5 cords, but alot of it is big old growth fir that requires a larger bar, larger than the 24" bar I have now. So, what do you think?

RL

River,
Stop being cheap and buy the right saw. Just kidding, but the 372 is all the rage on saw owners' sites, and it's rare to find so many people agreeing on something. I've not heard much about the 570, but for $100 I'd suck it up and be done with it. You've already wasted too much time, my man.

S

372 all the way

I don't want to start any shxx!
But everybody who has responded owns a Stihl MS 361????????????????????????????????????????????

Monkey,
I noticed that, too, but figured the OP's shop only sold Husky!

S

thinkxingu said:
Monkey,
I noticed that, too, but figured the OP's shop only sold Husky!

S

My Husky dealer is 6 miles away. My Stihl Dealer is an hr and 10 min. away.
I own Stihls. Go figure?

Monkey Wrench said:
But everybody who has responded owns a Stihl MS 361????????????????????????????????????????????

;-P Nice observation!

However, Husky also makes good saws. Unless you are trying to make this purchase in the short term, wait for their Demo days event and try both saws out. (if you haven't already) Then buy a Stihl. (sorry, couldn't resist)

In case Jay don't get here . . .

660 or 460 ported

:coolsmirk:

Insert obligatory Dolmar plug here...
:coolsmirk:
Gooserider

Goose,
I was waiting for that! Of course, quite a few websites have threads on the 5100's (the greatest value ever!!! <-sarcasm) blowing up after a year or so.

S

Monkey Wrench said:

Yeah but I also own a 371 which is basically the same as a 372 :)

IMG_0772.jpg

You guys are too much!!!! My neighbor has a 361. I hate when he fires it up, it just sounds funny to me. I grew up with Huskys and I just like them. Both shops are within about 8 miles, infact I could buy a Echo, JRed, Shindaiwa, Stihl, Husky all within the 8 miles. I just like the Husky, and thats final. So there take that all you Stihl snobs:) All joking aside I know the Stihl is a good saw and would own one in a heartbeat but my choices are the 570 or 372. The shop is really pushing the 570 and has them on so called "sale". The one on the shelf has dust on it so that pretty much tells me they aren't real popular and the guy flat out told me its been there a few months. The 372 is where I'm leaning. I've never heard a bad thing about them and they've been around for years. To me that says alot.

Thanks guys and feel free to keep commenting.

RL

thinkxingu said:
River,
Stop being cheap and buy the right saw. Just kidding, but the 372 is all the rage on saw owners' sites, and it's rare to find so many people agreeing on something. I've not heard much about the 570, but for $100 I'd suck it up and be done with it. You've already wasted too much time, my man.

S
+1

You have all ready made up your mind. What are you waiting for?
Go buy the 372 with the trade in of your 460, post a picture for us to ooogle at of you cutting a 4 ft round!
The saw don't cut wood , men do.
"Geeeze" get the new toy & get to cutting some fire wood, will ya?
Pictures please :) LOL

River,
You've made up your mind, so you've already wasted three days. Go buy the saw and get us some pics.

By the way, have you looked into the JRed alternative? I know they're the same saws, but they look so much prettier in black & red. If you're not gonna buy a Stihl, at least buy a saw with some color contrast for Gawd's sake!

S

Gee, that was weird!!!

.......let us know how you like the 372. iv been thinking about picking one up myself.

I'll add more confusion. I just went to the saw shop again and they have a 372XPW for only 30.00 more. So, should I get the W or stick with the regular XP. The W they have is a brand new 07 model, that is why its only 30 bucks more. Now what do you think?

Is the W just as bulletproof as the regular XP?

RL

It mostly comes down to which handle you prefer. They are both good. The W has the full wrap handle and an extra 3 or 4cc.

RiverLogger said:
I'll add more confusion. I just went to the saw shop again and they have a 372XPW for only 30.00 more. So, should I get the W or stick with the regular XP. The W they have is a brand new 07 model, that is why its only 30 bucks more. Now what do you think?

Is the W just as bulletproof as the regular XP?

RL
The full wrap handle is a plus.
Glad your neighbor has a 361
He'll be able to get you out of a pinch!

If the 460's in reasonable shape you could try selling it on your own for $300 & getting a used 372. Probably be hard to find though, I heard they're gonna be changed to a strato soon. So if you're okay with a newer design strato saw: 576. If you think strato is the devil: 372 before it's too late! IMO there's nothing wrong with strato's, just a wee bit heavier.

I would opt for the 372xp thats because I have one and dont now any thing about the 570 probably a good saw just never used one. I have had my 372xp for about 3 years now and have had no problem. Its geting harder to start now but have never replaced the spark plug MY OWN FAULT. A guy should never neglect a toy such as I. Any way really love the saw and would recommend it to anyone thinking of buying one.

Well, thanks everyone who replied. I just got back from picking up my new 372XPW with 28" bar. I'll have to test her out when I get home.

Status
Not open for further replies.