Input Requested on Valor Inserts and Maxitrol Valve/Control System

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Oldbat

Dec 28, 2019
Massachusetts
I am seriously considering a Valor Portrait Windsor gas insert. On another thread, I was advised against the gas control system (Maxitrol) for the insert and told that the remote was user-unfriendly and prone to problems. Can anyone speak to their experience with Valor gas inserts and remote controls?

Thanks in advance, Karen

I've worked on several of these, and never had an issue with the remote. The fact is any remote for any fireplace is going have a learning curve associated with it. The RT(F)M philosophy has never failed me with regards to any product. Valor made their foothold in the market due to good design, solid workmanship and arguably this control system. Their units tend to work well as convection heaters, so no fan is really necessary. This control system lends itself to working well on a simple 4 pack of AA batteries - whereas most others can only rely on batteries for temporary back up usage during power outages.