Insane burn on BK Parlor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ohlongarm

Minister of Fire
Mar 18, 2011
Northeastern Ohio
This posting is just meant to educate those who don't know much about cat stoves(I don't proclaim to be an expert) but have learned plenty ,on this site as a matter of fact.Wanting to show what the stove is capable of.
Yesterday a front moved in about 4pm high winds temps dropped .I decided to light the stove solid load of locust all I had in the house at the time ,by 5pm she was cranking and I settled her in,got down to 30 not a big deal.I set the tstat at 1:eek:clock and forgot about it house this morning at 6am 74 almost too warm,kicked the tsat to high noon. At 5:30 pm today ,it warmed up to 60 the house was at 82 way too warm opened windows,we were gone most of the day. This is what longaburn.jpg I found when I just checked the innards,the load was barely burned the cat was at 11 oclock still.Mind you not a stringent test but you get the idea 25 hour burn,I will check the stove at 5am Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: gregbesia
Yeah locust is amazing regardless of what stove it is in. And no that was not a crack at bk stoves before someone jumps on me for it.

The way the BK burns, it stays hot and the wood load just shrinks down to the bottom over time. Every day, or whenever you think about it, you can just throw more on top to fill it up. The wood just sort of decomposes away at an astonishingly high efficiency delivering a constant output of heat to keep your house warm. Boring as heck right?

The king is amazing since it's "fuel tank" is so big you can go a long time before topping it off.

What I try to help people realize is that a BK burntime isn't normal. Even after a 30 hour soak, there's tons of coals! Not just a spark or 2 like most " burn times"..

Reactions: Ashful
Thats pretty impressive! I ran a full load of Hedge through my Princess a couple weeks ago and was very impressed with it as well!

What I try to help people realize is that a BK burntime isn't normal. Even after a 30 hour soak, there's tons of coals! Not just a spark or 2 like most " burn times"..

Here's the locust load
This posting is just meant to educate those who don't know much about cat stoves(I don't proclaim to be an expert) but have learned plenty ,on this site as a matter of fact.Wanting to show what the stove is capable of.
Yesterday a front moved in about 4pm high winds temps dropped .I decided to light the stove solid load of locust all I had in the house at the time ,by 5pm she was cranking and I settled her in,got down to 30 not a big deal.I set the tstat at 1:eek:clock and forgot about it house this morning at 6am 74 almost too warm,kicked the tsat to high noon. At 5:30 pm today ,it warmed up to 60 the house was at 82 way too warm opened windows,we were gone most of the day. This is whatView attachment 196829 I found when I just checked the innards,the load was barely burned the cat was at 11 oclock still.Mind you not a stringent test but you get the idea 25 hour burn,I will check the stove at 5am Thursday.

Here's the above load at the the 41 hour mark,I said (forty one hours)It's supposed to get cold late afternoon with possible snow ,I wonder if I'll have enough coals for another fire? 9:00am EST now.theend.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Odd that you have a gap between your rear firebricks. I would try to slide the bricks together during the off season to eliminate it.

Here's the locust load

Here's the above load at the the 41 hour mark,I said (forty one hours)It's supposed to get cold late afternoon with possible snow ,I wonder if I'll have enough coals for another fire? 9:00am EST now.View attachment 196832

The sequel to this boring burn,it's now 4pm EST,we're expecting 4to 5 inches of sloppy snow.
The temp is dropping to high 20's so they say,I just opened the BK ,STILL enough coals to get her going,load of locust in.
A 48 hour burn so to speak with enough coals to start a new fire,that's a BK boring and predictable.

With the long burns you get, how many cords do you go through?

Jeepers. I am going to have to see if I can run down some locust. I don't think they even have hedge out here, but I've seen a couple little locusts in the woods, so there might be some biguns too.

I have loads of wood that I have to burn to keep the neighborhood cleaned up. I don't know what I'd do with it all if i had a stove that burned so slowly. Guess I could sell some of it.

Jeepers. I am going to have to see if I can run down some locust. I don't think they even have hedge out here, but I've seen a couple little locusts in the woods, so there might be some biguns too.

You should be able to beat him with a load of compressed sawdust logs. Density exceeding locust and shaped to allow better stacking.

With a well stacked load of wood I can pull of a 40 hour burn without locust. Clean cold stove, full load started in the front/center. Sit back and enjoy the heat! I like locust, but it's not the real MVP here, it's the stove.

Reactions: Highbeam

Big Locust in my area are few. They are not a long lived tree from what I see here but are long and straight with very few limbs so easy to process.

Locust rounds are a bit stringy when you split them though and even with a log splitter you may have too pull apart by hand or flip the round too get those last couple inches apart.

Last edited:
I never got more than 24 hours til a cold stove. nothing but ash even fully loaded to the gills with oak. I have no idea how you guys do it.

I have found that wood species means everything for long burn times in my stove.I thought I was getting killer times with oak until I tried Locust and Hedge and realized they were game changers.My burn times with locust and hedge will easily extend burn times by 4-6 hours or more depending upon temps...that is significant...Hedge reigns as top BTU output dog in my stove at 27 hrs. There is only one problem with this...Hedge isn't always easy to get here..

I have loads of wood that I have to burn to keep the neighborhood cleaned up. I don't know what I'd do with it all if i had a stove that burned so slowly. Guess I could sell some of it.
Thats one of the reasons I chose to go with this line of stoves as my son and I sell a lot of firewood to help get him through school.

Was thinking if switching to a cat stove in future. Do you get a similar view of flames dancing like you would with a non-cat? I imagine it would be less to get that long slow burn.

Was thinking if switching to a cat stove in future. Do you get a similar view of flames dancing like you would with a non-cat? I imagine it would be less to get that long slow burn.
I have almost no visible flames with my long slow burns. An occasional flare up, but not much. If I want flames I just turn the thermostat up. Keep in mind, simply buying a cat stove won't get you the long slow burns. That's a Blaze King thing.

I never got more than 24 hours til a cold stove. nothing but ash even fully loaded to the gills with oak. I have no idea how you guys do it.
To exceed 30 hours I start with a cold stove, stuff it full and light it. As soon as the cat is active I shut down to medium or so. Shortly after I go to MY low setting and let it cruise.

The sequel to this boring burn,it's now 4pm EST,we're expecting 4to 5 inches of sloppy snow.
The temp is dropping to high 20's so they say,I just opened the BK ,STILL enough coals to get her going,load of locust in.
A 48 hour burn so to speak with enough coals to start a new fire,that's a BK boring and predictable.

Guess they meant it. Woke up to this ,glad the BK is cooking on black locust,high winds about 6 inches snow and white out conditions. Glad i'm off today.
snow.jpg
snow2.jpg

Reactions: lsucet
Cutting locust this AM. To bad ours is so thorny. PIA to work with.

Cutting locust this AM. To bad ours is so thorny. PIA to work with.
Honey Locust. It does indeed suck.you get pretty good at skimming with your saw cleaning them up!Black Locust is where it at if you can get it.

Cut a ring through the bark all the way around the base. Come back in 2 years. Thorns gone. Then process!

Reactions: Ashful
I'll go farther, and say my combustor is still in Active range after 36 hours, with that pile of tennis ball-sized coals on the floor.