Insert choices

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dvd1217

Feb 12, 2023
NYC
Mod Edit: moved to its own thread.

I have never owned a wood burning stove before and have visited two stores multiple times now and searched through the forums. The two main contenders has come down to the Lopi Evergreen and the Ironstrike (Lennox) Grandview 230. I live in the Hudson Valley area of NY and my house is a colonial style just over 2000 sq ft. Thoughts (positives or negatives) on either one of them?
Which one did you get thinking of those two and in addition regency 2450/2500 or Kuma cascade. Same area and house size. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Which one did you get thinking of those two and in addition regency 2450/2500 or Kuma cascade. Same area and house size. Thanks!
Is this also for a colonial floorplan or is the floorplan more open on the main floor? Are there very high ceilings in part of the house?

Is this also for a colonial floorplan or is the floorplan more open on the main floor? Are there very high ceilings in part of the house?
Colonial style fireplace on one side of house. I’d be happy hearing that level or even just a couple rooms. I know going upstairs is impractical for the heat to travel. 8 foot ceilings throughout. Regency 2450/2500, Kuma cascade, and Montlake 230 all seem similar. The lopi evergreen too.

Colonial style fireplace on one side of house. I’d be happy hearing that level or even just a couple rooms. I know going upstairs is impractical for the heat to travel. 8 foot ceilings throughout. Regency 2450/2500, Kuma cascade, and Montlake 230 all seem similar. The lopi evergreen too.
If you can post a sketch of the floorplan that includes stove and stair locations and room openings we can be more precise. Start another thread on the topic if considering other model stoves.

Not sure how clear this is.

CA3C91AD-C7AF-4F97-A702-76886CC9DDEE.jpeg

That's perfect. In this case, a 12" table or box fan, running on low speed, on the floor at the family room opening, pointed toward the fireplace room would enhance circulation. It would be worth trying placement at the living room entrance to see it that further enhances heat distribution. In that case, I would lean toward the larger Regency i2450, Montlake 300, or Cascade insert. If not, then the smaller Lopi Evergreen or Montlake 230 would suffice.

Last edited:
@dvd1217 moved this question to its own thread

@dvd1217 moved this question to its own thread
That’s interesting so it works by blowing the fan into the heated space vs being in the heated space and blowing out? In terms of insert I was under the impression that the Kuma Cascade, regency i2450/2500, lopi evergreen, and Montlake 230 were all in the same medium range and the 300 was the larger. Also the 2500 having the credit with the hybrid( though not really looking for a catalytic). But based on what you are saying the regency and Kuma fit into larger category? I’m leaning toward regency because a friend is a wholesaler of them. I like the Kuma and lopi for build but I believe they are only east west loaders and that is a downside. Thanks for the input.

Yes, cold air is denser and easier to move.

The i2450 is a medium-large insert. At 2.5 cu ft it is 25% larger than the Super or the Evergreen. The Kuma Cascade and Regency i2500 are also 2.5 cu ft. The Regency i2500 is reported to not have the best catalyst location or design, but I can't say there have been a lot of negatives reported either. The i2700 has a better design.

The Kuma Cascade, Regencyi2450, and the i2500 can load N/S as well as E/W. So can the PE Super insert. Of this group, only the Evergreen is an E/W loader.

Sounds like I’m deciding between regency and Kuma cascade. I have heard about the 2500 not being the best catalyst and sorta just putting it in there to meet epa standards. Where as the Kuma I haven’t heard that. Do you know if they have equivalent viewing windows? I kinda like that regency seems to come out to the hearth more.

Give Kuma a call and ask them if the projection depth is adjustable on the Cascade.