Insert Flue thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bobdog2o02

Minister of Fire
Mar 25, 2014
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
My father in law had an Enviro Cabello 1200 insert installed around Christmas. I told him to ask the dealer/installer about adding a flue thermometer to the install, they said there were no products like that. Is anything like this available and if so can i retrofit one?

Depending on build and design, possibly a thermocouple if you wanted to go that far. But your dealer is correct, there really isn't an off the shelf product designed for insert flue temps.

I assume the liner sits in a masonry chimney: How do you get a thermometer probe in there far enough from the stove to not throw off the readings? And then it needs to be either wireless or the wires need to run far enough from the stove to the fireplace outside to the actual display. You may be able to rig something like that up but it won't be an easy task. On the other hand, I have burned my insert now for several years and do not feel like I really missing out not having a flue thermometer. Would it be nice to have? Yes. Do I really need to? No.

For an insert, I recommend an IR thermometer to measure the stove temps. If the air channel opening on top of the stove is large enough you can measure the top with it. If not I recommend to remove the surround and the top plate of the air channel for a few days. With the blower off your Dad should measure at several stages during the burn the stove top as well as an accessible place in the stove front. Note the temp difference between top and the spot in front. In my case I measure the spot dead center above the door which is about 100 F cooler than the hottest point on the stove top. Once that relationship is clear put the insert back together and use the spot in front to gauge the stovetop temps.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292

This is a digital flue thermometer and you can get 33' of cable to connect the sensor to the unit. As Grisu says, no idea how easy it might be to install it but if you want it that bad, anything is possible. They have surface probes, double wall probes, etc. not sure which might work best. I'd think the double wall might work if you can get it in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobdog2o02
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=292

This is a digital flue thermometer and you can get 33' of cable to connect the sensor to the unit. As Grisu says, no idea how easy it might be to install it but if you want it that back, anything is possible. They have surface probes, double wall probes, etc. not sure which might work best. I'd think the double wall might work if you can get it in there.
i use these. They stick out about 2 inches when installed. I can measure closer for you if you get interested, before you buy. The wire looks (almost) indestructable

Status
Not open for further replies.