Insert install - do I need firebricks in my masonary fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim_M

Burning Hunk
Mar 28, 2010
Halifax, NS
I'm replacing my wood burning fireplace insert with a used Whitfield Profile 30. My 25' chimney is already fully lined with a 6" ss liner and I was considering doing the install myself, since I thought it would be a simple matter of getting the necessary connections (cleanout T, flex pipe and adapter) and hooking them up. However, I thought I would check the cost to have it done professionally, and when I asked an installer for a quote I got an unpleasant surprise. He told me that the installer who previously installed my wood insert should not have removed the firebrick from the fireplace, and it will have to be replaced before my pellet insert can be installed. He cited ULC s628, apparently the governing code for installing any type of fireplace inserts in Canada. I haven't been able to locate this code online (I can download it for $190!) Does anyone know if the installer is correct about this? Thanks.

Tim_M said:
I'm replacing my wood burning fireplace insert with a used Whitfield Profile 30. My 25' chimney is already fully lined with a 6" ss liner and I was considering doing the install myself, since I thought it would be a simple matter of getting the necessary connections (cleanout T, flex pipe and adapter) and hooking them up. However, I thought I would check the cost to have it done professionally, and when I asked an installer for a quote I got an unpleasant surprise. He told me that the installer who previously installed my wood insert should not have removed the firebrick from the fireplace, and it will have to be replaced before my pellet insert can be installed. He cited ULC s628, apparently the governing code for installing any type of fireplace inserts in Canada. I haven't been able to locate this code online (I can download it for $190!) Does anyone know if the installer is correct about this? Thanks.

If it came with them and was UL tested with them, then yes, you do. You want the glass to radiate heat don't you??

• Sad
Reactions: TomasB
When burning wood in your fireplace with an insert or on a grate, i can see the need for the firebricks. However, needing firebricks for a pellet stove insert? I don't know canadian laws, but it sounds like the installer you spoke to is trying to stick you for work that might not be needed. Maybe the code he quoted you is not intended for pellet stoves. I would dig a little deeper.

Some removable parts of a zero clearance fireplace, if that's what you have, can be removed to install an insert. I would check the insert manual for this information. It's possible Canadian code could require it be kept at listed but I would ask the installer to show you this code if that is what he is telling you.

Status
Not open for further replies.